Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Consider hitting Glacier National Park then head north to Eureka. From there head over to NW Idaho. NW Montana and NW Idaho are incredible.
Agreed, but those areas are in my backyard and easier to get to on a separate trip. I'd like to do more of a true overland experience for that.
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're not going to cross the Mackinac bridge?!?! The upper peninsula of Michigan is really a freak show that must be witnessed, I'm stuck here through the winter in Marquette on Lake Superior... It is foreign to everything else around Lake Michigan that I'm accustomed to. Jarring even. Skip Chicago, you can fly there cheap whenever.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're not going to cross the Mackinac bridge?!?! The upper peninsula of Michigan is really a freak show that must be witnessed, I'm stuck here through the winter in Marquette on Lake Superior... It is foreign to everything else around Lake Michigan that I'm accustomed to. Jarring even. Skip Chicago, you can fly there cheap whenever.
If we survive this one without divorce we're thinking a northern tour next year.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, it’s like you’re going on a concert tour. Do you have t-shirts for sale?

I can’t wait to see the “Tricky Dick’s Epic Northern Adventure” though. :love:
That's a fine idea! Any suggestions on this map?

north-america-map.jpg

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gonna 3rd this one up - avoid Dirty Myrtle.

Wilmington is also a cool coastal city, and just outside of it is Carolina Beach, can drive on the beach/beach camp at Freeman park.

I do believe reservations are required for overnight though.

Also will see what work looks like when you're in Uwharrie - might be able to meet you out there.
I've been using freecampsites.net to find locations, it shows both free and paid but I'm not seeing a pin for Freeman Park. As of right now I've tentatively moved Saturday night from Myrtle Beach to Little Pee Dee.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been using freecampsites.net to find locations, it shows both free and paid but I'm not seeing a pin for Freeman Park. As of right now I've tentatively moved Saturday night from Myrtle Beach to Little Pee Dee.
https://www.carolinabeach.org/visitors/freeman-park

Can still drive on it when you'll be here but it looks like overnight camping is limited to the off season (September - May).

We drove on it over X-mas.

EDIT - just checked out the site you're using and it wasn't great for NC. But these maps of Fire Service Roads can be helpful for finding campsites.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/nfsnc/maps-pubs

Last edited:

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Those are both a typical July/August day in Spokane, that doesn't seem so bad.
It is not that bad IF you are accustomed to the high humidity levels. Another thing to keep in mind is 4th of July week. SC - NC recreation areas can be overcrowded any time the week before or after 4th. Reservations are tricky.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not that bad IF you are accustomed to the high humidity levels. Another thing to keep in mind is 4th of July week. SC - NC recreation areas can be overcrowded any time the week before or after 4th. Reservations are tricky.
The proximity to the holiday is why I'm trying to get everything set now instead of just showing up.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this humidity thing. According to all the data I pull up the humidity ranges from about the same to maybe 10% higher than what I see here.

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The proximity to the holiday is why I'm trying to get everything set now instead of just showing up.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this humidity thing. According to all the data I pull up the humidity ranges from about the same to maybe 10% higher than what I see here.
For me, when afternoon temp =>90* (pretty common here) with humidity =>50% just about any outdoor exercise comes with plenty of sweat that tends to build up on your skin and clothes. Very slow evaporation and for me feels like heat building up.
When humidity is low, as in many parts of the country, all that sweat evaporates and gives a "feel" of cooling. But not in this part of the country once you get away from the breeze often present right on the beachfront. Another reason those beachfront locations are so valuable!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yes but humidity is relative to how much water air can hold at a given temperature / pressure.

So 80% at 90F is WAY more water than 80% at 78F. Get used to walking outside and your shirt instantly vacuuming itself to your torso.

Ford Bronco Tricky Dick's Epic Southern Adventure 1645037419057

Ford Bronco Tricky Dick's Epic Southern Adventure 1645037432641

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The trip itself won't start for another 4 months but something of this magnitude requires some forethought. My wife, kid, and I will be touring 25 states between 6/17 and 7/4. Yes, some cheating is involved, like cutting through tips of some states or visiting Four Corners.

This journal will be a place to gather thoughts, get feedback on gear, and schedule meets with B6Gers.

My Bronco and our newly acquired Coleman Colorado pop up will relied on for this trip. The Bronco should still be relatively stock still and the camper has been upgraded with custom frame, Timbren independent axles, 31" tires, and Lock N Roll hitch.

Nightly stops have been plotted and somewhat set in stone (edited to reflect some suggestions) and are as follows:

6/17 Gallatin MT
6/18 Castle Gardens WY
6/19 Lewellen NE
6/20 Atchison KS
6/21 Pomona Il
6/22 To Nashville TN
6/23 Windrock TN
6/24 Uwharrie NC
6/25 Oak Island SC
6/26 Waycross GA
6/27 Summerdale AL
6/28 New Orleans LA
6/29 Genoa AR
6/30 Memphis TX
7/1 Albuquerque NM
7/2 Moab UT
7/3 Boise ID

Whew, at least you have the 2.3. I was wondering why dealerships were not listed on your itinerary.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes but humidity is relative to how much water air can hold at a given temperature / pressure.

So 80% at 90F is WAY more water than 80% at 78F. Get used to walking outside and your shirt instantly vacuuming itself to your torso.

Where did you find this? Can you punch in Spokane instead? Our weather is nothing like Seattle, much hotter in average.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where did you find this? Can you punch in Spokane instead? Our weather is nothing like Seattle, much hotter in average.
Ford Bronco Tricky Dick's Epic Southern Adventure 1645038340013

Still 4degF + 10% humidity delta, you will notice a big difference. Also the cool temps are hotter. But it also doesn't tell you how long of time you're at the peaks. In the south it starts hot and stays hot.

And I ashamedly use Bing to search for quick stuff.....the Microsoft reward points is usually enough to pay for a couple road trips worth of Starbucks.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, it's pretty high desert climate in Spokane.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice trailer - just need to replace the “RUBICON” letters with “BADLANDS” or something.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.