First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go over to the forum on the 2.7 failures and type in that same response and you’ll be chewed up and spit out. The posters there go through a completely different calculation to determine the failure rate. Regardless, I wouldn’t make any decision based on the information on this forum alone. For any topic, there is a favorable viewpoint and a matching negative viewpoint much in the same as Amazon reviews for any given product. It’s entertaining at best.
yea 90% of the people on here don't know squat about vehicle let alone engines so I could careless what they have to say. Just throwing it out there that switching up to the 2.3 for that reason is stupid. Not saying the 2.3 isn't a good engine I am sure it is but the 2.7 has quite a bit of ass to it, I think its awesome. I haven't had this much HP since I sold my STI. If I end up having problems down the road I will for sure post " well I was wrong " on here. My Badlands is super nice only thing to see is if it holds up long term.
last truck was a Tacoma so the Bronco has big shoes to fill.
Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yea 90% of the people on here don't know squat about vehicle let alone engines so I could careless what they have to say. Just throwing it out there that switching up to the 2.3 for that reason is stupid. Not saying the 2.3 isn't a good engine I am sure it is but the 2.7 has quite a bit of ass to it, I think its awesome. I haven't had this much HP since I sold my STI. If I end up having problems down the road I will for sure post " well I was wrong " on here. My Badlands is super nice only thing to see is if it holds up long term.
last truck was a Tacoma so the Bronco has big shoes to fill.
I agree with your perspective. I have a Badlands with the 2.3l and thoroughly enjoy it. I also have a 2020 explorer with a 3.0 V6 and agree that it has a lot of juice especially if you put it into Sport mode. For me, the decision between engines focused on expected delivery timeframes at the time it was ordered and the fact that even the 2.3L had a significant HP rating of 270 when compared to the V6 HP rating of 315. I don’t zoom around at Mach III with my hair on fire any longer so 270 was fine, (and still is). As I type this I am in the middle of a 4500 mile trip to several national parks out west. The 2.3 has had no trouble doing 80-85 on the highway with a headwind although it does lean on the turbo when going up long grades.
Enjoy your Bronco and maybe we’ll see each other on the highway sometime. I’m the guy with the area 51 BL with a smile ear to ear. 😁

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with your perspective. I have a Badlands with the 2.3l and thoroughly enjoy it. I also have a 2020 explorer with a 3.0 V6 and agree that it has a lot of juice especially if you put it into Sport mode. For me, the decision between engines focused on expected delivery timeframes at the time it was ordered and the fact that even the 2.3L had a significant HP rating of 270 when compared to the V6 HP rating of 315. I don’t zoom around at Mach III with my hair on fire any longer so 270 was fine, (and still is). As I type this I am in the middle of a 4500 mile trip to several national parks out west. The 2.3 has had no trouble doing 80-85 on the highway with a headwind although it does lean on the turbo when going up long grades.
Enjoy your Bronco and maybe we’ll see each other on the highway sometime. I’m the guy with the area 51 BL with a smile ear to ear. 😁
Yes Sir enjoy hope to meet many happy Bronco owners on the trails.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe it’s strange, if you’re new. But I was updating threads I was previously following, with new information that’s been released.

There’s nothing wrong with defending the 2.3L engine, after half the forum spent the last year saying the 2.7L was better. Now we know that isn’t the case!

Personally, I barely feel a difference between the two engines when they’re stock. And my 2.3L smoked every 2.7L I’ve raced so far. But keep in mind, mine is modified.
I have the 2.3 in my wife’s Explorer. It pulls really nice, but it does run out of steam. I’ve found the Bronco 2.7 to more like Palpatine frying Windu. I can’t wait until the performance pack is available.

kennyg808

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own 2 broncos with 2.3 and 2.7 I prefer the 2.7. I feel that the 2.3 needs to be driven with a heavy foot to get it to go.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm considering changing from a 2.7 to the 2.3 if I end up getting bumped to MY23.

Which would you guys feel more comfortable taking on a trip through very remote areas of Baja? There's enough of these problems popping up on the 2.7 that have me wondering. Sad that I feel more comfortable with my 3rd Gen 4R with 370,000 miles on it than a new vehicle.

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm considering changing from a 2.7 to the 2.3 if I end up getting bumped to MY23.

Which would you guys feel more comfortable taking on a trip through very remote areas of Baja? There's enough of these problems popping up on the 2.7 that have me wondering. Sad that I feel more comfortable with my 3rd Gen 4R with 370,000 miles on it than a new vehicle.
I think the 2.7 issue is blown way out of proportion. A bad batch of engines was built using defective parts, which is not something that you would need to worry about with a Bronco that hasn't even been built yet. I feel that both of these engines are equally reliable.

The 2.3 engine was my choice and it is the engine I like best for several reasons, but one of those reasons was not because I think the V6 is going to blow up and that the I4 is the engine that will not blow up.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the 2.7 issue is blown way out of proportion. A bad batch of engines was built using defective parts, which is not something that you would need to worry about with a Bronco that hasn't even been built yet. I feel that both of these engines are equally reliable.

The 2.3 engine was my choice and it is the engine I like best for several reasons, but one of those reasons was not because I think the V6 is going to blow up and that the I4 is the engine that will not blow up.
Until the fuel pump failures start racking up in the 2.7's. ;) I have a suspect 21180 2.7 in my OBX, but I think that I am finally out of the woods at 22k miles.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7L is the best alternative until we get a 5.0L.

jrz1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2 door Badlands Sasquatch with the 2.3 and manual and am very happy with it. It's got enough power to get out of it's own way and I wanted a manual. This manual is very smooth shifting and a pleasure to drive. The added weight of the 2.7 likely offsets some of the power advantage of the 2.7 plus a lighter vehicle is always better for handling as well.

Sponsored

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve driven the 2.3 over 23000 miles and it is all I need. Cruises along at 75 mph with plenty of pep when I want to pass anything and gives me 22 mpg. what’s not to like?

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 7200 miles on a 2.7l with zero issues. First, any possible issues are under warranty, and second, my engine is at the tail end of the ”bad batch”, and all is well. If you can’t handle first year issues, guess what, you’re beyond the first year if you haven’t taken delivery of your Bronco. Quit being a whiny premadonna, take the Bronco or leave it and quit being a b*tch.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 7200 miles on a 2.7l with zero issues. First, any possible issues are under warranty, and second, my engine is at the tail end of the ”bad batch”, and all is well. If you can’t handle first year issues, guess what, you’re beyond the first year if you haven’t taken delivery of your Bronco. Quit being a whiny premadonna, take the Bronco or leave it and quit being a b*tch.
Glad yours has worked out for you.

I'm not sure where you've seen whining - is there a thread that exemplifies this point in your view? What I have observed is discussion, some of it concerned, about the relatively widespread failure of the powertrain of a very expensive new vehicle. The point about early adoption is valid - but you're on a forum full of rabid enthusiasts whose excitement will often outweigh more practical judgment (I.e. anyone who's paid substantial ADM for an as-yet not fully proven vehicle). You might feel differently if your V6 dropped a valve on the highway and had to be replaced.

To clarify - discussing a costly, dangerous issue that luckily hasn't impacted you yet (and hopefully never will) is whining, but your post complaining about perceived whining is not whining? I wouldn't want to misapprehend your reasoning...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve driven the 2.3 over 23000 miles and it is all I need. Cruises along at 75 mph with plenty of pep when I want to pass anything and gives me 22 mpg. what’s not to like?
The existence of the the 2.7

Ford Bronco 2.3 Shaping up to be the better Engine? IMG_20220614_222855

Just saying... LOL.

Average speed of 76.5 MPH, including a fuel/rest stop.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
An aspect many may not think of are the brakes. The 2.3 brakes get a lot of complaints.
Sponsored