William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We just took a 1200mi round trip to Norfolk VA. On the way up there our gas mileage increased from 19.1 to 19.4 and I thought, OK, we're going downhill the whole way so we'll probably lose it all coming back. Came back yesterday and it actually went up since this picture to 19.7.

We recently switched to exclusively Sunoco 93, which is a bit of a pain because there aren't as many stations as other brands but my wife insisted because it consistently gives us better fuel economy. The other change was the CV Fab intercooler. I kinda doubt it's as much of a factor, but cool air does do wonders for the engine, so who knows?

2 door, 2.7 sasquatch with intake, exhaust, ford tune and cv fab intercooler.

Ford Bronco 2 recent changes = crazy mpg IMG_20231023_080908
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The more advanced the timing can run and the less you stay out of boost will significantly increase your mpg.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very interesting!! After rolling into a Sunoco station at nearly ā€œ0 miles to emptyā€ a couple of weeks ago, I filled up with Sunoco 93. The next week (after driving what I thought was my normal weekly mileage), I filled up at my usual Exxon/Mobil station and thought the pump shut off a couple gallons early. But no, the tank was full.

Though skeptical, I am currently checking (investigating?) into this with more accurate detail.

Edit: 4 door, 2.7L, Badlands, SAS, 4A transfer case, getting ~ 20 to 21 MPG city/hwy. 15 ~ 16 MPG freeway @ 80 MPH.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All I run is 93 the best ive got on the hwy was 19.5 mpg and 21 mpg on country roads without any mods. Winds play a big factor on achieving max mpg and staying out of boost.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We just took a 1200mi round trip to Norfolk VA. On the way up there our gas mileage increased from 19.1 to 19.4 and I thought, OK, we're going downhill the whole way so we'll probably lose it all coming back. Came back yesterday and it actually went up since this picture to 19.7.

We recently switched to exclusively Sunoco 93, which is a bit of a pain because there aren't as many stations as other brands but my wife insisted because it consistently gives us better fuel economy. The other change was the CV Fab intercooler. I kinda doubt it's as much of a factor, but cool air does do wonders for the engine, so who knows?

2 door, 2.7 sasquatch with intake, exhaust, ford tune and cv fab intercooler.

IMG_20231023_080908.jpg
The intercooler actually can help marginally with MPGs. Lower air charge temps can help the engine run higher timing and other tune goodness. But I am unsure if that is what happened with highway cruising.

This is a generalization, but true: All gasoline starts out the same. Octane numbers are managed through an additive, there a minimal difference in the "quality" of the base stock. I really wish we could ban the practice of calling higher octane pump gas "Premium, UltraTech, Platinum, etc." It is super misleading and people waste money on putting 93 in a car that is designed for 87, which turns into a LESS efficient scenario.

Then each brand will add their own additive packages. This is where Top Tier comes into play. Top Tier means the gasoline brand has added a sufficient amount, type, and blend of additives (Detergents) to reach their Top Tier level.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Now can Top Tier increase fuel economy short term? Ehh.... I am not sure, maybe... It would probably be very marginal. Long term, absolutely. Less deposits, less carbon, cleaner injectors, etc. For short term I think you'd have to compare extremes; a gasoline with the absolute bare minimum additives, to a Top Tier fuel.

Also remember, station to station, geography to geography, the ethanol percentage can change. You could go to one Shell station and get E15 (15% ethanol), then go to another Shell station and only get E5. It is a bit of a crap shoot sometimes. Typically there will be a sticker on the pump that says the MAXIMUM ethanol content, but that still doesn't mean you are getting the maximum ethanol out of the pump. It could be lower. A 10% swing in ethanol content would have an impact on fuel economy.

Slightly offtopic, E85 is the same deal. You never will get consistent 85% ethanol from a gas station, E85 means up to 85%, the range can be pretty wide, I've seen 50-55% ethanol up to 90-92%. VP Racing Fuel sells E85, that has a consistent ethanol content, that racers will use.

Fun fact, 89 octane, or mid-grade, is just 87 and 93 mixed, or 87 and 91 mixed. It is mixed at the fuel pump too, not the refinery. I avoid mid-grade at all costs. I know some Hemi equipped vehicles require it, but mid-grade is very inconsistent.

To summarize, everyone should be using Top Tier fuel and everyone should be running their manufacturer recommended or required octane level.

You most likely saw fuel economy changes from the wind, different ethanol levels, and even subconscious driving habits.

Also hand calc, don't trust the onboard computer.

EDIT: If you compare extremes you will notice a difference. No name gas brand from a super sketchy run down gas station, versus Costco. I've had bad gas a couple of times while in rural Appalachia.

Last edited:

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
93 is great for power. But at about a dollar more per gallon the increased mileage doesnā€™t come close to covering cost. I do run 93 myself.

Sponsored

luvmybronco

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco sport, 1969 Bronco sport, 1990 F250 Lariat 4x4, 2015 F150 Lariat super crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My fuel mileage has been getting better since the Ford Performance Tune. Since I have to run at least 91 octane, but only have 93 available in my area, I noticed better fuel economy in Normal, Sport, and Eco. Normal was getting me about 18 with driving Normal. Sport was giving me 17.6 and I enjoyed it. I wasnā€™t hard on it all the time but I did take off quicker and really liked how it kept in the power band. Eco gave me 18.6 on a tank and I was trying to get the best I could.
But, what surprised me was taking a trip last weekend. We drove a little on the highway, but we did a few trails, spent the night in Maggie Valley, and came home through the beautiful Smokey Mountains, and then through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, and I was very impressed. I have a 2dr non Sas Badlands with true 35ā€™s and got 19.6 for our whole trip.

IMG_4748.jpeg

IMG_4742.jpeg

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2.3 auto 2Dr nonSAS Big Bend. Filled up yesterday with premium (91). Dash said I got 28.5 mpg for the tank. Pump and math said 29 mpg. Iā€™m in the country. Donā€™t drive over 65 much, but that tank also included about 20 miles of gravel road. Staying off the gas and the brake and the mpg is better than I thought it would be.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last time I checked my ā€œon board MPGā€ through multiple fillips at the same pump using its automatic shutoff and then hand calculating, it was off by nearly 1.5 MPG high.
Sponsored