Schmack B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also, unless u get a very good eyeball toe setting after a trail side tie rod fix, u will eat up that tire fairly quick.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s interesting to me how nearly ever thread discussing a Bronco component failure on these forums is assumed to be driver error and not a potential design or component flaw. Just like the first reported engine failure had everyone jumping to the conclusion the guy had got sand into his engine, when it turned out to be a dropped valve and one of at least a few such failures.

Based on the video, this didn’t seem that crazy to me. And doesn’t the fact both snapped not signal some kind of issue? The reliability of these machines was already starting to concern me… this incident isn’t helping.
I’ve done a lot of rock crawling in and around AZ. This obstacle is a 4lo, crawler gear, let the clutch out and creep endeavor. When you get on the “stupid pedal” in the rocks like this guy did shit breaks. As people add larger tires and do stupider things we will figure out the weaknesses of this new platform. These first incidents could be systematic or one offs, nobody knows yet.

I’m positive there are some design issues that will be worked out after the first few years of production, but they won’t impact 99% of users, but some failures are caused by exceeding the design parameters.

Deleted member 13702

Ford paid a lot of money in advertising and to Loren Healy, selling that obstacles like this are nothing to the Bronco.

I’m guessing a lot of new off-roaders in the Bronco are going to find out the difference between hype and capability at a hefty price.

Remember, they sold this as if the goat modes would make you an expert on every trail at the turn of a dial. I would really recommend to anyone who has never been off road to take a course, or go to the off-rodeo and learn that there are limits to your rig, and skill is needed to naviagate obstacles.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s interesting to me how nearly ever thread discussing a Bronco component failure on these forums is assumed to be driver error
So true. I think every single thread that I've seen where something went wrong with the Bronco, the initial dozens of pages is blaming the driver. Couple of blown engines, snapped CV joint, Goat Modes freaking out. I mean we all know the wax joke right?

It's a shame, but some people have put the Bronco on such a high pedestal, that they just can't bring themselves to the realization that there are several flaws, and Ford has cut some significant corners.

Ironically, there are hundreds of posts where people are stating their expectations for a 50-60k vehicle. In reality, people need to realize this is ONLY a 50-60k vehicle... You can't have it all at that price.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
YES, these rod ends are weaker then the solid axle of my Jeep Rubicon. They are, stop crying. Would I wait for 15 months for a jeep. No. I always had a Ford one way or another all my life. I’m not brand loyal.
I believe this happened due to operator error. (These Broncos and Wranglers are not King of the Hammer trail buggies) they both will rock Crawl. CRAWL, when you start gassing and spinning your over sized wheels and they all of a sudden get traction, something could break or bend and do. If Ford needs to improve these links over time, they will. Just like Jeep has over time improved their week links.

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ouch. This is surprisingly not hard to do. Nothing is defective here. He found it’s limits.

In the SXS world, all it takes is turning the wheel when it doesn’t want to, all that force/leverage has to go somewhere.

Worst thing about breaking tie rods is your rig is such a pain to get off the trail with the wheels in full derp mode.

Chipt7

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Badlands Squatch, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard of others breaking tie rods and rack/pinions get shot when putting 37s on... So I don't think this is driver error... Ford needs to look into this... As it seems it only happen s when getting these rigs with big shoes offload and doing what they are meant to do! They definitely don't make them like the classics anymore.

Chipt7

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Badlands Squatch, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ouch. This is surprisingly not hard to do. Nothing is defective here. He found it’s limits.

In the SXS world, all it takes is turning the wheel when it doesn’t want to, all that force/leverage has to go somewhere.

Worst thing about breaking tie rods is your rig is such a pain to get off the trail with the wheels in full derp mode.
Have not had any problems with my F150... And it has seen some major trail time... Maybe my build is superior, but still running stock ends with No issues.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I just don't understand the point of just driving up stuff just to do it. The 4 x 4 exists to get me where I want to go.
And for some people the 4x4 exists so they can go over rocks. Your understanding is not required.

I think of it kind of like going to the gym and doing crazy ballistic powerlifting to see if you'll get hurt or not.
In this case more like doing those things the first time you ever walk into a gym. A BL is a good foundation for doing what he tried but I am thinking he needs to put in some more work before trying to hang with the big boys.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heavy foot and big tires kill shafts, joints and hubs on a solid axle. Not sure I've ever seen a tie rod end break though. If that's all he was doing was crawling, and that's it's limit, that's a going to be a major weak point for sure.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are few companies developing stronger outer tie rods but nothing on inner tie rods. I don't think I've ever seen a beefier inner rod. Looks like it snapped right at the jam nut.

Here are inners and outers (in one peice) for a Raptor. These are from ADD but there are others.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 1633269121448

... for contrast here are just the outers from the same company.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 1633269167205

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, seems he broke both tie rods and also broke the rack, as per his replies on Bronco6x Facebook.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 9C018212-7B23-4550-9417-DC68A5AF7EDF