Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right on, that's gotta be the right harness to make this work. Nice find and thanks for labeling that out. I wonder if that second connector is for a Sway bar disconnect or something, it almost looks like the connector I disconnected from the fad and the placement looks right but there shouldn't be a fad on any m210
I agree on it not being FAD. With those big wires, I'm thinking it might have to do with the alternator.

I'm replacing the outer axle seal on the passenger side and will look around today and see if I can't spot any of those connectors.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raising a point about the front locker swap. The module that controls this is different for auto and manual, locking and open. The 190 has an attached motor that cams over and allows the front axle to engage. I think this is basically power on or off to the actuator. The M210 uses a mag locker inside and is engaged via a graduated signal and after fully locked, keeps the voltage constant.

The questions I have are will the software update only allow the swapped diff to engage in 4L and will it be a modulated signal or will it just be power on or off? If the swap doesn't include a new hero switch, how is the deactivation accomplished if you want to engage/disengage the front diff without taking out of 4L?

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Raising a point about the front locker swap. The module that controls this is different for auto and manual, locking and open. The 190 has an attached motor that cams over and allows the front axle to engage. I think this is basically power on or off to the actuator. The M210 uses a mag locker inside and is engaged via a graduated signal and after fully locked, keeps the voltage constant.

The questions I have are will the software update only allow the swapped diff to engage in 4L and will it be a modulated signal or will it just be power on or off? If the swap doesn't include a new hero switch, how is the deactivation accomplished if you want to engage/disengage the front diff without taking out of 4L?
So according to ford performance so far, they recommend that the front locker be placed on an aux switch (power on power off, no logic) and are currently saying the hero switch route hasn't been figured out yet. From my understanding engineering has been working on this but it took them a week to find me the right electrical connector so no fingers crossed lol. There really isn't a reason to disable the locker outside of 4LO except to keep people from engaging lockers and driving/turning at speed. It's a fail safe that I'm sure some need but I really don't I don't think.

The m190 FAD and the m210 locker are not the same thing and won't use the same circuit but I do believe that all the lockers, the tcase position switch, and the FAD are all controlled by the awd module. At this point nobody is sure if we can just swap the harness or if we will need programming or even a new awd module. So far, all that the ford performance programming does is reprogram the modules (module? The DLCM is what ford performance references) to no longer look for the FAD and lock it up. If your model doesn't have a fad, the fdu swap is even cheaper/easier.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So according to ford performance so far, they recommend that the front locker be placed on an aux switch (power on power off, no logic) and are currently saying the hero switch route hasn't been figured out yet. From my understanding engineering has been working on this but it took them a week to find me the right electrical connector so no fingers crossed lol. There really isn't a reason to disable the locker outside of 4LO except to keep people from engaging lockers and driving/turning at speed. It's a fail safe that I'm sure some need but I really don't I don't think.

The m190 FAD and the m210 locker are not the same thing and won't use the same circuit but I do believe that all the lockers, the tcase position switch, and the FAD are all controlled by the awd module. At this point nobody is sure if we can just swap the harness or if we will need programming or even a new awd module. So far, all that the ford performance programming does is reprogram the modules (module? The DLCM is what ford performance references) to no longer look for the FAD and lock it up. If your model doesn't have a fad, the fdu swap is even cheaper/easier.
Which connector?

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Which connector?
Ford performance is supposed to call me today with shipping information on my replacement FDU and the connector they are sending, I'll ask them for a part #.

The connector I originally used is 2U2Z-14S411-BB and it matches/fits the rear and the front locker, but it's just a connector with 2 bare leads about 10" long. They are claiming the connector they are sending me is also bare leads.

They are warranting my swap for a locker failure, I'm 99.9% sure it was a part failure/internal wiring harness issue as we have working 12v+ at the connector and only have issues once it's plugged into the actual locker. The locker also reads 0 ohms between pins.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it's not this pigtail.
Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 1676297546612

Here's the one for the 190.
Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 1676297775300

So Ford isn't just reselling the stock M210 if the connectors are different, unless they're trying to reuse some of the existing harness instead of sending a ready to go section. Interesting......Keep me updated on your progress.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right on, that's gotta be the right harness to make this work. Nice find and thanks for labeling that out. I wonder if that second connector is for a Sway bar disconnect or something, it almost looks like the connector I disconnected from the fad and the placement looks right but there shouldn't be a fad on any m210
OK, finally got around to figuring out where this harness plugs into. It is right below the washer bottle in the fender.
Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 20230218_092713

Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 20230218_092722

Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 20230218_092740

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Picture below: From top to bottom, 1st connector is connector below washer bottle, 2nd connector is connector on frame below passenger door, 3rd connector is right front abs sensor, 4th is the locker.
Ford Bronco 210 drive unit swap from 190 20230218_094631

Last edited:

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, finally got around to figuring out where this harness plugs into. It is right below the washer bottle in the fender.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Picture below: From top to bottom, 1st connector is connector below washer bottle, 2nd connector is connector on frame below passenger door, 3rd connector is right front abs sensor, 4th is the locker.
Very nice, you already have the hero switch and m210 right? You'll have to let us know if it's plug and play or if it's gonna take programming! I'm going to order that harness now

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very nice, you already have the hero switch and m210 right? You'll have to let us know if it's plug and play or if it's gonna take programming! I'm going to order that harness now
Hopefully I'll have her figured out today.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Little Foot and @builtMIbronco not looking good. Might have to just hook it to an AUX Switch. 😞 Maybe someone with more ForScan knowledge will figure it out but i cant. Bummed...

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Little Foot and @builtMIbronco not looking good. Might have to just hook it to an AUX Switch. 😞 Maybe someone with more ForScan knowledge will figure it out but i cant. Bummed...
I'm wondering if it's going to take an awd module reflash or maybe even some special awd module programming to allow it to look for the switch on the bus system. There has to be a reason ford performance hasn't done it yet, especially if we can order the harness and sima switch..

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering if it's going to take an awd module reflash or maybe even some special awd module programming to allow it to look for the switch on the bus system. There has to be a reason ford performance hasn't done it yet, especially if we can order the harness and sima switch..
Yeah, I was hoping it would be simpler. I thought I'd be able to enable a few things in forscan an bam, it would work. I'm getting a DTC error code on the SIMA switch but can't clear it. I don't know. Wish I knew a Ford Tech. I compared the AsBuilt data on my stock Black Diamond, a Big Bend with Sasquatch, and a Badlands and found a few items to change but know nothing about what it is I'm changing. I gave up after the first AWD change wouldn't go, service interrupted. I might give it a whirl again tomorrow.

SickUnit

Big Bend
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm going through the upgrades right now with my Big Bend. Mine came factory with a 3.73 open diff :poop:. I didnt pay a market adjustment so Im ok with adding these parts after the fact and not financing the additional cost, market adjustment, etc. Yes, the labor will not be cheap, but as an Army leader of mine once said, "this is my cat and I'm the one f*ckin it."

I purchased the M210 diff, both half shafts, new axle nuts, and the front driveshaft. Sourced a takeoff 4.70 locking diff on ebay from a parted-out Bronco. For the rear axle upgrade, I bought the diff install kit from Ford Performance and a new 4.70 ring and pinion set.
I already have the calibration module and found the option in the menu for gearing changes when I installed the performance tune and changed my tire size (315/70-17).

Big questions in my mind, is there a plugged-up port in my existing M220 axle housing for the wiring..? I thought about adding the full hero switch assembly, but the aux switches just make more sense to me.
I'm planning on running both front and rear lockers on upfitter switches.

I'm waiting on a response from a Ford Performance tech guy I emailed. wanted to make sure I didn't need any other components for the diff swap on the M220 besides the install kit.
Sponsored

Last edited: