First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Quite literally never looked at nor gave a flying fuck about crash ratings.

I've heard Volvos are basically bubble wrap on wheels, may be worth checking those out.
Funny story from my sales career with 3M mostly calling on body shops. I was in a shop on a normal sales call and noticed a Volvo wagon with a severely damaged roof and no other signs of impact on the doors, fenders, or quarters. I asked the body tech what happened as it was unlike any vehicle damage I had seen. Turns out it was jumper from the 5th floor of a hotel that was trying to end it all and he landed on the roof of the Volvo and survived with minor injuries. Bad or good luck depending on your perspective. :LOL:
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This has been posted in other threads, but OP might not have seen it. footage comparing wrangler and bronco, bronco does well

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I totally couldn't care less. Actually normal for a new vehicle to not be rated immediately.

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As a Bronco Reservation holder for two years now, I wonder if anyone else is concern about the crash safety of Bronco! I mean Bronco is a cool car with lots of off-road capabilities but would it be safe enough to have your family in it when there’s no proper rating on it!
Just wondering your thoughts…
66F9A9F8-7672-4E1F-A3F8-CA426CB90EF0.jpeg
You should totally cancel your order so someone more deserving gets theirs faster.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Broncotrax
You’re not actually saying that all vehicles with higher crash test ratings are automatically “boring,” right? That would be an impressively narrow worldview.
I said nothing like that at all. Please do not try to put words in my mouth. Do not imply anything either.

Sponsored

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just add helmet and your personal crash rating goes up by 1!
Ford Bronco 3 STAR & Unrated Crash Score! 1650544754742

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a Bronco Reservation holder for two years now, I wonder if anyone else is concern about the crash safety of Bronco! I mean Bronco is a cool car with lots of off-road capabilities but would it be safe enough to have your family in it when there’s no proper rating on it!
Just wondering your thoughts…
66F9A9F8-7672-4E1F-A3F8-CA426CB90EF0.jpeg
I’ll answer your question without all the snark.
I am one that pays attention to the ratings and I’m one that has purchased a vehicle simply because of the ratings. My late wife and I chose the Subaru Outback as our family car when we had our first child BECAUSE it was consistently rated at the top of the charts for safest vehicle. With a baby in the car… for me… the safer the better. But our youngest is 7 now. That doesn’t mean I throw safety out the window, but I at different ages now there are desires for fun family outings (camping trips, trail rides, photography of and from places the Subaru just can’t reach). So if we are gonna reach some of these places the Outback couldn’t… I consider the Bronco the safer vehicle to do it in. It’s bigger, and heavier, and would likely fair even better in a typical front end crash. And to be honest, this thing has more safety features in it than even the Subaru had a decade ago. The lane keep assist, crash avoidance systems, and didn’t I read somewhere that there is an airbag under the steering wheel that literally wraps around your legs upon deployment? Anyways as safety devices and mechanisms become more prevalent, what it takes to reach those higher scores will become harder or more stringent. But I feel the Bronco is a safe vehicle (otherwise I wouldn’t put my family in it). The entire family is also super excited about the fun, joy, and adventures this vehicle will bring to us. That is also priceless and why I was okay spending over 60k on a vehicle. You gotta balance fun and safety and make the decision based on your family’s needs and desires. On the trail I absolutely feel safer in the Bronco over the Outback. On the road, maybe rollover aside, I feel like the Bronco will fair better in most typical low-mid speed front and rear crashes (in the few crashes we’ve already seen involving Broncos they tend to come out almost unscathed in comparison to the other vehicle in the crash).
I feel safe in my Bronco. I hope if you get one that you and your family will feel safe in it as well and have many fun adventures in it.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the Bronco does well in the small and moderate overlap IIHS tests it'll get a 5 star rating once the NHTSA runs it flat into a wall which is actually an easier test. IIHS gives the roof strength a good and that is important although it's rare to not have a good rating on that these days.

I drive a 2019 Ranger SuperCrew 4x4 everyday. It has the same 3 star rollover rating and has a rollover risk of 25.6% in a single vehicle loss of control crash which is exactly the same percentage as the Bronco. The two wheel drive Rangers are 3 star, but actually the risk goes up to 29.2%. I'm going to assume 30% is the cut off for 2 stars. So if you are worried about your Bronco think about those poor 2WD Ranger owners!

Now the good news is with things like Advancetrac with Roll Stability Control in many extreme situations the vehicle will take over and help stabilize itself. Plus you have excellent seatbelts and side curtain airbags. This vehicle is FAR safer then old SUVs were. If you want a better rollover rating buy a unibody CUV like a Bronco Sport or Explorer.

So I would say don't worry about the 3 star rating. Should you always buckle up? Yes. That goes for all vehicles though and especially in rollovers where you are a lot better off riding it out inside the vehicle vs being thrown out a window.

BeeMiller

Outer Banks
First Name
Betty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Furion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had many a Mustangs that I never drove the speed limits in. A tiny MG Midget that "always" made me want to drive under 18 wheelers to get to the other side. And since I'm a Grandma now, I figured I'm better off driving a really cool looking TANK with a soft top!

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would like to see the rollover risk of my old Bronco II compared to this. I bet this is light years lower risk than the Bronco II was and the Bronco II was even worse than the much lambasted Suzuki Samuri of that same era.

Sponsored

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would like to see the rollover risk of my old Bronco II compared to this. I bet this is light years lower risk than the Bronco II was and the Bronco II was even worse than the much lambasted Suzuki Samuri of that same era.
Bronco IIs could roll over if someone blew too hard on them.😆

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And just where is Ralph "the Corvair-killer" Nader when we need him?

Ford Bronco 3 STAR & Unrated Crash Score! nader copy
Sponsored