DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What’s that gonna cost $800 and void that warranty; Versus buy the better engine up front? Would you buy a mustang 6 banger with the plan to tune it to try to match a GT, doesn’t make sense to me.
I will buy the 2.3 only for the manual and like every turbo car I’ve owned, it gets tuned. Even if I ended up with the 2.7, it would be tuned.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have any insight on the carbon build-up and remedies? It is my one fear about committing to the 2.3.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I will buy the 2.3 only for the manual and like every turbo car I’ve owned, it gets tuned. Even if I ended up with the 2.7, it would be tuned.
Buying the manual I can totally understand. For auto it sounds cheap to buy the small motor and tune it

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ditto

Basically,
Ford Bronco 4 cylinder 4 door? Really? stock-life-is-too-short-to-stay-stock-men-s-tall-t-shirt

Sponsored

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata, Focus ST, GMC Sierra beater truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you have any insight on the carbon build-up and remedies? It is my one fear about committing to the 2.3.
I'm on my third ecoboost. I had a MKT that I got rid of after 150,000 miles (and still in my family) a 2.0 in a Focus ST that I got rid of at 85,000 miles when my wife got pregnant again and 2 rear facing car seats did not work and now another 2.0 with 60,000 on it. Carbon buildup doesn't seem to be an issue. This isn't a first gen BMW or VW engine, and Fords torture test 3.5 from a couple years back didn't show significant carbon buildup either.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thought is that it’s all on what you are used to....I have the 3.5 EB in my pickup and it moves! Don’t t know what I’m getting yet, but that’s my concern. A little like driving from Texas doing 85 into New Mexico with a 65 mph speed limit!

The 3.4 might be plenty for most but that’s not what I’m used to

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a naturally aspirated V6 in my Colorado. It’s a piece of shit. It was cheap and does the job. The fuel economy is crap. The sound is crap. It has no torque down low and always sounds and feels like it needs to work hard. The 2.3 in the Ranger is completely the opposite. Spins the rear tires taking off at the lights bites down with lots of low end torque. I don’t get this obsession with V6 “van engines” - Only in America.
Wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I've had 4.0 and 3.5 Ford NA V-6's and been very happy with power and reliability.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally, I will tune the Bronco whether I go with the 2.3L or the 2.7L. As far as the discussion concerning going with the i4 on the 4-door, people will be just fine with that setup for a long time. This i4 setup is putting out as much or more horsepower and torque than the V8s of old. The argument of "turbo 4 or 6 cylinders can't hold up as well as a V8" may have held true at one point in time, but that is no longer the case. I will agree to a point that the 2.7 "may" hold up longer post 100k miles due to the self-cleaning port injection, but I have no doubt that the i4 will be able to get to at least 150k miles before any major work needs to be done. My truck is the 1st generation 3.5 Ecoboost with just direct injection. I have had zero major engine fixes and I'm sitting at 170k miles. It all comes down to routine maintenance in the end. Use high quality full synthetic oil, get your oil changed every 3-5k miles, keep clean air filters in the vehicle, use high quality gas, check fluid levels every week, ect. If you do these very simple things, almost any vehicle will give you the power and longevity it was designed to do. The i4 will be just fine with the gearing given the Bronco even on the 4-door.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Real question is are you keeping it stock or modding it?

Sponsored

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Much lighter as well!

I believe the 2.7 is only available in the graphite iron block

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 2.7 V6 is underpowered. So that's the extent of my doubting even more the 4 cylinder. It just isn't sitting well with me after a week of being excited and thinking about it. 5000+ pounds (with Sasquatch) on that small displacement leads me to think it will not he durable. Probably why they restricted the manual on the Sasquatch. I'm waiting for further developments at this point. A Coyote V8 or a larger V6.
Isn’t that the engine they put in an F150 ? Should be good, I would think.
Sponsored