Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you on the Oregon Bronco FB page? Will be good to get people together when more show up.
No, don’t do FB. Definitely need to plan a meet up though. Should have my truck in a month or so
Sponsored

MeanGreen

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volvo XC90
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
turbos have nothing to do with it it’s about all about cams, valves and timing. Ford says that I run 87 and 83 and I trust them and it has been my experience. I run 87 to 93 myself and I noticed very little difference if any. You may see 15 hp gain or so like they say but it’s unnoticeable.

Good to know!

Guess I'll save that money...

OP
OP
Bronc-Itus

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, you’re buying premium and doing what with the Broncos? Orlando? Doubt you’re wheeling, so yes, wasting money.

If just driving around, Regular seems to be fine. If you’re going to hit the trailhead, Premium gas makes a bit more sense.

In most of the South, we don’t have 91, only 93 for Premium. Then there‘s 89 for Plus Which is a waste of money.

Premium at QT here is around $3.85 or so In Atlanta.
Flat ass Orlando! Our hills are toll roads. 😂 I do drive trails as frequently as I can. Ocala national forest, fay wilderness park. I like to hit the off the side of the road sand dunes when I spot them out east. But realistically probably only 4-500 miles of off road fun so far. ( little bit in South Carolina and also Virginia). But this whole “listen for knocking” narrative has me nervous to go cheep. 91 is available at times but I always go for the 93. Loving the variation in opinions in this thread. Maybe if the $5 a gallon rears it’s head around here I’ll give the lower octanes a try. But this is my first turbo vehicle. And I want it to last🤞

Sponsored

Vinny6G

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Paying $3.47/gal for 93. It's only seen 93 since the 2nd fill up and I hope to keep it that way.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m confused. Octane isn’t about power. Its all about preventing compression based pre-ignition knock. Pre-ignition knock creates havoc in you engine including knocking a hole in the top of a piston.

And the Bronco requires minimum 87 Octane

Ref Owners manual, pg 167.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN_USA_10_2021.pdf

FUEL QUALITY
SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL
Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 283).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage. We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Edit.
This is clear as mud. 87 Octane? 91 Octane? So which is it?

With that said do be cognizant of engine knock. I know of a fleet of engines run without key additives / ingredients in the fuel. That lead to carbon buildup in relatively new engines. And that carbon buildup, led to unexpected knock.
In this case higher octane does equal more horsepower.
Ford Bronco 6000 miles and I’m still buying premium gas Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 11.45.42 PM

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If and when I get one it'll probably be getting 87 every time unless I'm going to visit family in Arizona, this dang California gas is almost $5 a gallon for premium.

Sponsored

LoboDelRio

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2015 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I have some info that kinda correlates to this. Since purchase I've been tracking the mileage on my 2-door BaseSquatch with the 2.7, and my weekly driving routine is very predictable (about 65% highway/35% two-lane or dirt). So far I've run 2 tanks of 89 Ethanol-free, and 2 tanks each of 87 and 93 E10. 6 tanks total, and I'm running them down to less than 30 miles to empty. The 89 pure ($3.24/gal) is getting 18.4 mpg, The 87 E10 ($3.08/gal) is getting 17.9 mpg, and the 93 E10 ($3.78/gal) is getting 19.2 mpg. I'm happy with the pure gas myself, but do with these numbers what you will.

edit: the ethanol-free is 89, not 87. Sorry for the mistype. Can't even read my own handwriting 😆

Last edited:

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you kidding? That's a steal . . . premium is just over $5/gal here in Southern CA . . .
Damn, the future looks rough. Put Exxon premium in my jet ski for $3.55 yesterday and noticed sams club premium was $3.23 today ($2.87 for regular)

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
My summary - not enough difference for gas milage; however, power difference is significant. I would have a tendency to go wild on the loud pedal, so I’m thinking POWER

I’ll buy premium for power.
From your article, four vehicles tested in the 1/4 mile:
Three crossed the line going the exact same speed and within 1/10 sec regardless if they ran low or high octane, the fourth ran 14.5@95 vs 14.0@99
I'm not seeing the significant power difference you are.

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, don’t do FB. Definitely need to plan a meet up though. Should have my truck in a month or so
Hoping to have mine about then as well. Blend date is this Wednesday (knock on wood). Will have to monitor meet ups in the PNW group here.
Sponsored