Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Refer to paragraph 3. 91 is best for towing and maximizing your engine's performance. And top tier gas matters as well.
Yes, the increased HP and torque numbers have been known for quite a while. And I don't think anyone here is suggesting going to low quality gas stations.
Sponsored

Bear_Bronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Audi A4, 2013 Subaru STI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, don’t do FB. Definitely need to plan a meet up though. Should have my truck in a month or so

Howdy gents. I'm over in Vancouver, WA and have my truck! What local pages are you on?

I haven't seen any Broncos out in the wild over here yet...

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im at 7900 miles. I have definitely run more 87 than I have 93. It has been fine and haven't noticed a big difference in mpg. I pretty much only run premium when I have a bunch of kroger fuel points saved up. Like today, I had 50 cents off a gallon so I got premium for like 3.19
I was told as a new driver that using higher octane will leave some unburned residue on the cylinders and to use as low as you can without causing knock. This was long ago, and I would love to know the science behind what happens between lower and higher octane on modern engines.

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was told as a new driver that using higher octane will leave some unburned residue on the cylinders and to use as low as you can without causing knock. This was long ago, and I would love to know the science behind what happens between lower and higher octane on modern engines.
Not true with ecoboost

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m confused. Octane isn’t about power. Its all about preventing compression based pre-ignition knock. Pre-ignition knock creates havoc in you engine including knocking a hole in the top of a piston.

And the Bronco requires minimum 87 Octane

Ref Owners manual, pg 167.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN_USA_10_2021.pdf

FUEL QUALITY
SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL
Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 283).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage. We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Edit.
This is clear as mud. 87 Octane? 91 Octane? So which is it?

With that said do be cognizant of engine knock. I know of a fleet of engines run without key additives / ingredients in the fuel. That lead to carbon buildup in relatively new engines. And that carbon buildup, led to unexpected knock.
Higher octane allows your engine to run at advanced timing creating more power...

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every vehicle I have had that had turbo, or performance engine I would get the highest octane I could find. I not only got more power but better mileage. So in my opinion it's almost a wash.

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford says 87 OK. I'll likely be running that at first but will likely relax to 85. I live at about 6000 feet elevation.......and they don't even sell 87 octane here. Normally it is 85, 89, 91/92 at the Denver-area pumps. I have seen multiple (albeit conflicting "expert" statements) that 85 octane at this elevation is equivalent to 87 at sea level. My Nissan Xterra says to run 87, but I have never run anything but 85 without any knock. I'll run a few tanks of higher octane and do some mileage differences just to make myself comfortable, but my back of the envelope calculations show that a 10,000 mile year (my average) will be almost a wash on a 1 mpg difference in fuel economy.......actually maybe $75 per year more to run premium. That said, $75 is nothing.......and a calculation I haven't done in many years to enlighten me to that slight difference. I would gladly pay that $75 if it does boost power performance, so we'll see. Again, elevation makes a hit to power anyway, so I am not sure I'll even be able to perceive that difference.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford says 87 OK. I'll likely be running that at first but will likely relax to 85. I live at about 6000 feet elevation.......and they don't even sell 87 octane here. Normally it is 85, 89, 91/92 at the Denver-area pumps. I have seen multiple (albeit conflicting "expert" statements) that 85 octane at this elevation is equivalent to 87 at sea level. My Nissan Xterra says to run 87, but I have never run anything but 85 without any knock. I'll run a few tanks of higher octane and do some mileage differences just to make myself comfortable, but my back of the envelope calculations show that a 10,000 mile year (my average) will be almost a wash on a 1 mpg difference in fuel economy.......actually maybe $75 per year more to run premium. That said, $75 is nothing.......and a calculation I haven't done in many years to enlighten me to that slight difference. I would gladly pay that $75 if it does boost power performance, so we'll see. Again, elevation makes a hit to power anyway, so I am not sure I'll even be able to perceive that difference.
Manual clearly says not to use below 87 octane. Look earlier in this thread. Says lower octane can lead to engine damage and won't be covered under warranty. Even mentions its being offered in higher altitudes and says not to use. 85 is bad idea!

Sponsored

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every vehicle I have had that had turbo, or performance engine I would get the highest octane I could find. I not only got more power but better mileage. So in my opinion it's almost a wash.
A wash is about right. Pay less per gallon of gas and get less MPG. Pay more and get a few more MPG. Though there are a few more benefits to running Premium.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only used premium so far, don't plan to change that. But my daily driving is between 3 and 5 miles unless I go on a drive somewhere, so I don't really have to care about gas prices. It's something I have to buy either way, so getting worked up about what it costs is not worth my time.

I think to notice a difference - if there really is a noticeable one - I'd have to have a switch and two tanks to go back and forth with, I doubt it's enough of a boost to actually feel it driving out of the gas station? 91 seems to be 'better' for the engine and over the year the cost difference is really not much since I drive so little. Plus I usually get a 20ct/gal discount at Chevron with my Safeway card.

If I had a commute I'd have a Tesla or similar electric or hybrid (great fun to drive!) just to avoid standing around at gas stations all the time, not something I particularly enjoy. I'd maybe have some older Wrangler for the wild then.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
High altitude essentially only affects naturally aspirated engines, the turbo will easily compensate for the thinner air. Cylinder pressures will still be the same regardless of your altitude, so running 85 on a forced induction engine is a bad idea.

The turbo simply creates even more boost at high altitudes, so you don't lpose any engine power compared to sea level.

ameration

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting: Bronco 4-Door Wildtrak & 2-Door Base
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
😳 2.7L. Just paid $4.11 per. Am I waisting my money?
No - the Ecoboost motors are much happier with premium (plus you gain a little extra HP). That’s all that I run in my Raptor and now the wife’s Bronco.