Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The market is probably much larger for a plain old heavy duty and more affordable rack that doesn't require programming, something that everyone in this thread is probably looking for right now. Seems like we're kind of in a chicken and egg situation right now, nobody is designing really capable suspensions because the rack is incapable of handling tires that make use of them, and nobody is designing heavy duty racks because there really isn't a good suspension out there to properly utilize big tires.
Isn't that what the @BroncBuster rack and bushing addresses? And the fact that there's no documented case that their rack or braced tierods have failed "yet", why wouldn't I opt for theirs?

$1400ish seems like a no-brainer for someone that's lifted on 37s for some piece of mind. Change my mind! ;)

Signed: Dude on 37s with the HOSS 2.0 currently :oops:
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Isn't that what the @BroncBuster rack and bushing addresses? And the fact that there's no documented case that their rack or braced tierods have failed "yet", why wouldn't I opt for theirs?

$1400ish seems like a no-brainer for someone that's lifted on 37s for some piece of mind. Change my mind! ;)

Signed: Dude on 37s with the HOSS 2.0 currently :oops:

If you go back and watch the 74Weld videos he explains it in there.

The factory cast rack housing is not concentric. In others words it ain't round. If you put a metal bushing in there you will put the rack in a bind.

Although BB parts did not break the racks have with his parts on them have.

Just my 2 cents. Watch and listen to the video. He explains it but does not call out BB particularly just on a round about way.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks Nels!!!! Good, well detailed info here. One thing I did chuckle at......... under no circumstances should you put different bushings in the rack. It has 30 thou of tolerance in the casting. It will bind the housing making it break earlier.

Many on B6G should hear those words. :unsure:

I have followed 74Weld for a few years when I noticed Loren running his portals. I remember one were they took his portals apart after 1000 Hammer trail miles. They looked like new. They build some stout stuff.
Damn good info. Making me reconsider the BB bushing. Also of note, 74Weld mentioned in the comments that they are shooting for under $5k

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you go back and watch the 74Weld videos he explains it in there.

The factory cast rack housing is not concentric. In others words it ain't round. If you put a metal bushing in there you will put the rack in a bind.

Although BB parts did not break the racks have with his parts on them have.

Just my 2 cents. Watch and listen to the video. He explains it but does not call out BB particularly just on a round about way.
Just watched the video. Great info. Thanks!

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The back lash is frivolous on an off road only setup. For long term use on road you don't want that 1/4" to 1/2" slop in the steering wheel. We will see how this plays out in the long run, it wouldn't be hard to install a delrin take up.

BroncBuster gets around this my not removing the adjuster. His bushing prevents the adjuster from taking enough stress to blow the take up out of the housing.

This is a hardcore part, not something I would want for a daily driver.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The back lash is frivolous on an off road only setup. For long term use on road you don't want that 1/4" to 1/2" slop in the steering wheel. We will see how this plays out in the long run, it wouldn't be hard to install a delrin take up.

BroncBuster gets around this my not removing the adjuster. His bushing prevents the adjuster from taking enough stress to blow the take up out of the housing.

This is a hardcore part, not something I would want for a daily driver.
Ya, I agree, but it does look sweet as hell. For a daily driver, I don't think that I want to be rolling on 40's either.

Can you picture an M190 spinning 40's??? LMFAO

I might, maybe, one day want to go 35's, but I honestly think that 34's are where I would stop unless they were very light weight (there is a 34.8" tire that is around 55 lbs) which would fit on my 18" rims.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ya, I agree, but it does look sweet as hell. For a daily driver, I don't think that I want to be rolling on 40's either.

Can you picture an M190 spinning 40's??? LMFAO

I might, maybe, one day want to go 35's, but I honestly think that 34's are where I would stop unless they were very light weight (there is a 34.8" tire that is around 55 lbs) which would fit on my 18" rims.
All you have to do in not press the 4wd button ever again, m190 is a perfectly safe option for 40s.

Hoss 3.0 doesn't have enough turning power for hardcore wheeling so not sure how happy real wheelers will be with this upgrade.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess I must be in the minority, because I have no problem driving 40's. I expect that I'll eventually need this kind of strength in a rack with what I plan on using the Bronco for, but it's still going to be my daily driver and I'd rather not deal with slop in the steering. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a rack and all the trouble/expense that goes with making one strong enough.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess I must be in the minority, because I have no problem driving 40's. I expect that I'll eventually need this kind of strength in a rack with what I plan on using the Bronco for, but it's still going to be my daily driver and I'd rather not deal with slop in the steering. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a rack and all the trouble/expense that goes with making one strong enough.
At some point in the near future I am retiring, and then my available time for such shenanigans will increase exponentially. I also have a friend who happens to be a bit of a mad scientist (despite being in his mid 80's) who owns some large machines, they aren't CNC, but he needs some projects to keep him from chasing women and running the streets. LOL.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah we're definitely gonna have to cook up some projects for him, the women here aren't particularly fast and the streets can get sort of confusing

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, so we are all still learning here which has been cool.

Back to the discussion of daily driving the 74Weld rack. In my case my 2Door Badsquatch is currently rolling on 37’s with 0 offset wheels. This week I’m having a GRT perch collar lift & Icon Tie rods installed. Yes, I will be daily driving my rig.

We haven’t, or at least I have not, seen anything from 74W that suggests their rack will not be appropriate for daily use (and trail).

thoughts / discuss? Go.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, so we are all still learning here which has been cool.

Back to the discussion of daily driving the 74Weld rack. In my case my 2Door Badsquatch is currently rolling on 37’s with 0 offset wheels. This week I’m having a GRT perch collar lift & Icon Tie rods installed. Yes, I will be daily driving my rig.

We haven’t, or at least I have not, seen anything from 74W that suggests their rack will not be appropriate for daily use (and trail).

thoughts / discuss? Go.
So as you daily drive, your steering straight most of the time making small corrections. As this area wears you have no more take (tensioner) up to keep the slop out. Over time this area of the pinion (most likely the softer material) 2-3 teeth will wear giving you dead spot. I figure after 50K miles you will want a rebuild.

As an owner of HOSS 3.0, it doesn't have enough balls. My steering still stalls out at the same point, need more power!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So as you daily drive, your steering straight most of the time making small corrections. As this area wears you have no more take (tensioner) up to keep the slop out. Over time this area of the pinion (most likely the softer material) 2-3 teeth will wear giving you dead spot. I figure after 50K miles you will want a rebuild.

As an owner of HOSS 3.0, it doesn't have enough balls. My steering still stalls out at the same point, need more power!
Maybe you just need to go to the gym.... LOL (I know, that's not how it works).

You could however see about getting a bigger motor, but what we probably really need is a re-gear kit. A better gear ratio for the assist motor would certainly overcome the problem (unfortunately without the ability to recalibrate software for a different ratio, this might not work).

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe you just need to go to the gym.... LOL (I know, that's not how it works).

You could however see about getting a bigger motor, but what we probably really need is a re-gear kit. A better gear ratio for the assist motor would certainly overcome the problem (unfortunately without the ability to recalibrate software for a different ratio, this might not work).
It's possible that it's an open loop in that the module doesn't know what the motor is doing, only the end result of what happens to the rack gear. So if you put a motor in there that has 5x the torque and identical RPM rating, it's possible that the module wouldn't care as long as the rack got to the point it was supposed to be. Could possibly end up with issues if you change input RPM though, as that might affect reaction time. If the system is designed to operate with a motor that will spin at say 100RPM, then it might over-correct and cause feedback issues if you use a 1,000RPM motor. Likewise, a 10RPM motor might not give you enough power assist in some cases even though the torque is there, as you'd be physically trying to turn the steering wheel faster than the motor will allow.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lite Brite just posted a video with Quinn from 74Weld swapping their Braptor internals to the 74Weld housing.

Sponsored