WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I followed this MIC wind noise reduction guide a while back and, although it greatly reduced the noise from the top, it also left me noticing the road/exterior noise a bit more now.

It seems quite a bit of noise leaks through the doors and windows. Don't think I can do much about the windows, but I used some of the leftover weatherstripping (93085K525 from McMaster) to add another layer to the door.

It's fairly thin and flexible so the door still closes normally, and it also blends in pretty well so it's hard to notice. I'll be taking it out on a drive later and seeing if the difference is noticeable.

Has anyone else tried or had any luck with adding weatherstripping to reduce road noise? Curious to see what other experiences with this may be.

EDIT: Jump to post 17 for a better method and conclusion. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ipping-tackling-road-noise.89162/post-2165878

Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise 20240222_133932
Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise 20240222_133946
Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise 20240222_134033
Sponsored

Last edited:

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So you are telling us about a mod you made and showed us the detailed pictures of the before and after install, but have no useable data if it even made a difference???? Come on man, totally kidding, but keep us posted, we all like more info than not enough info on anything Bronco!!! 🍻

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you are telling us about a mod you made and showed us the detailed pictures of the before and after install, but have no useable data if it even made a difference???? Come on man, totally kidding, but keep us posted, we all like more info than not enough info on anything Bronco!!! 🍻
Knew I'd get shit for that, I was just so excited about how clean looked that I couldn't wait to share 😂

Don't forget to hit the like, favorite, and subscribe buttons to see what happens next 😉

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember doing something similar on a previous vehicle to keep debris out from my door jambs. It always drove me nuts they'd get filled with dirt and I question why automakers don't put some weatherstripping right around the edge of the doors.

Anyways, good simple modification for you. Weatherstripping is like duct tape - It serves so many purposes!

Sponsored

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did the same MIC wind reduction guide, considered the same around the door trim but also considering removing the door skins and putting some sound dampener on the larger sections...we'll see what my wallet and waning energy levels allow

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did the same MIC wind reduction guide, considered the same around the door trim but also considering removing the door skins and putting some sound dampener on the larger sections...we'll see what my wallet and waning energy levels allow
That's probably a better way to go, plus I heard it gives a pretty satisfying thump when you close the door. I was just trying to avoid removing any trim pieces/panels for as long as possible.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update (for @adamruiz2001)

Went on a quick drive (just streets no freeway) and it feels like I wasn't hearing the cars beside me as much as I usually do, especially the ones passing on the other side of the road. I might try ordering more and finishing up the rest of the doors as I only have it installed in my driver's door right now.

Tire noise didn't seem to change too much, but it could be because it's mainly coming from the footwell area.

I'll take it out on the freeway soon and post another update.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update (for @adamruiz2001)

Went on a quick drive (just streets no freeway) and it feels like I wasn't hearing the cars beside me as much as I usually do, especially the ones passing on the other side of the road. I might try ordering more and finishing up the rest of the doors as I only have it installed in my driver's door right now.

Tire noise didn't seem to change too much, but it could be because it's mainly coming from the footwell area.

I'll take it out on the freeway soon and post another update.
Have you tried ear plugs or headphones with active noise cancelling, they do wonders on the Bronco wind noise 🫣

But in all seriousness, some change is better than no change. I think I finally just got use to the Bronco noise, it was a big change from my wife's QX80 at first, but since it's been over a year owning the Bronco, I'm use to whatever noise was different at that time.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you tried ear plugs or headphones with active noise cancelling, they do wonders on the Bronco wind noise 🫣
My solution was to install Polk Audio speakers and twist the volume knob!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you feel like it makes the doors more difficult to close? I already have an odd issue with mine, where I frequently need to two 2-3 times, especially on the passenger side. However, I need to work my sound deadening and this looks like a good idea.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you feel like it makes the doors more difficult to close? I already have an odd issue with mine, where I frequently need to two 2-3 times, especially on the passenger side. However, I need to work my sound deadening and this looks like a good idea.
I only installed this on my driver's door so far and it didn't seem to make closing the door any more difficult. I have the same issue as you with my passenger door though so I'll let you know if it makes things worse when I install some there

Here's a thread on the passenger door issue, doesn't seem like anyone has found a good solution for it though

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/passenger-front-door-not-closing-window-down-works.86667/

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put mine on the body channels

huge impact on noise
Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise IMG_4333
Oh nice, this is a good one. I'll probably do my other doors like this since I only have thicker weatherstripping left.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Installed weatherstripping on the body channels like @Easy-v, but I also tucked it under the rubber flaps/panels so that it blends in a little better. Going to finish the rest of the doors and take it on another ride later

It doesn't seem to make the door closing any worse like this either @userdude.

Sorry for the terrible pics
20240223_091327.jpg
20240223_091339.jpg
20240223_091345.jpg
Sponsored