Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I spent 5 hours installing sound deadening material in the back of my 2 door. The base layer is 80 mil butyl and then a layer of 200 mil Hybrid 3-1 on top. As the OP pointed out, in the 2-door the rear wheel wells are particularly close to the front passengers and Ford puts zero deadening material on them. This leads to an unbearable interior noise level with the factory Goodyear MT's that come on the Sasquatch package.

I didn't take any before measurements so all I can give you is the DB levels after install. Keep in mind that the terrible grooved concrete highways here in LA really bring out the worst in the Goodyears. At 55 mph I'm now getting 62 dB and at 75 mph I'm seeing 69 dB. I suspect that asphalt highways will be about 3 dB less. Qualitatively this is a huge improvement. No longer do I need to shout to have a conversation and it definately reduces driver fatigue.

Now that the rear is done I want to tackle the front area and the doors. With the back being so quite you can really hear the tread noise coming off the front tires and the engine noise coming through the firewall.

The materials that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Siless-Hybrid-3in1-Sound-Deadening/dp/B0B6JKF9SC?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLSP8JV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

An In process photo. Most of the 80 mil was installed and some of the hybrid material is visible on the wheel wells.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project IMG_0112

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanted to also show what I did yesterday! I also completed the rear cargo area of my 4 door. I had previously used Siless 80mm Butyl & the foam they sell on my doors and footwell. It was a lot of work doing both so I decided to also try the 3 in 1 they sell since it's essentially the same thing but with a layer of MLV (not sure its really MLV). I can definitely say it did reduce the road noise coming from the rear. I have an OBX which was pretty quiet until I purchased a set of sasquach take-offs. These goodyears are incredibly loud compared to the AS tires on a stock OBX.

I'm happy with the results, I know that this isn't going to turn my Bronco into a G-Wagon, but any reduction on noise helps immensely. I plan to use the same 3 in 1 and do the rest of the floor under the front and rear seats.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20240131_134815

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20240131_134736

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20240131_134730

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20240131_093549

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20240131_090450

Wildruby

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow I admire the dedication. How much time to do the sound deadening?

Sponsored

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did my rear a while back but never thought to do the little storage cubby thing. I used Kilmat 80 mil and Siless Heat Insulation Foam on top of it, so idk if theres a big difference between what I used and the Siless 3-in-1.

Do you think there will be any issues with it being exposed to the elements on the underside of the car? Especially salt during winter?

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did my rear a while back but never thought to do the little storage cubby thing. I used Kilmat 80 mil, so idk if theres a big difference between what I used and the Siless 3-in-1.

Do you think there will be any issues with it being exposed to the elements on the underside of the car? Especially salt during winter?
I live in Florida so I'm not sure about road salts. But there is a heat shield underneath it, and I think the Butyl should be O.K. with the foil backing. But who knows, I might have it melt off in the summer haha. Only time will tell.

I did it because I was trying to cover any possible area that noise can come in through.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in Florida so I'm not sure about road salts. But there is a heat shield underneath it, and I think the Butyl should be O.K. with the foil backing. But who knows, I might have it melt off in the summer haha. Only time will tell.

I did it because I was trying to cover any possible area that noise can come in through.
Makes sense. I might go back and look at doing that as well, since I'm going to be doing the front of my 2-door once it warms up a bit more of here in Illinois. Thanks!

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wanted to also show what I did yesterday! I also completed the rear cargo area of my 4 door. I had previously used Siless 80mm Butyl & the foam they sell on my doors and footwell. It was a lot of work doing both so I decided to also try the 3 in 1 they sell since it's essentially the same thing but with a layer of MLV (not sure its really MLV). I can definitely say it did reduce the road noise coming from the rear. I have an OBX which was pretty quiet until I purchased a set of sasquach take-offs. These goodyears are incredibly loud compared to the AS tires on a stock OBX.

I'm happy with the results, I know that this isn't going to turn my Bronco into a G-Wagon, but any reduction on noise helps immensely. I plan to use the same 3 in 1 and do the rest of the floor under the front and rear seats.

20240131_134815.jpg

20240131_134736.jpg

20240131_134730.jpg

20240131_093549.jpg

20240131_090450.jpg
Like you I question how much the base layer of 80 mil is actually adding or if one layer of 3 in 1 will yield a similar result with half the effort. That said, I am desperate to drop the interior noise level and this is definitely an improvement. The next step is to dump the Goodyears for some BFG KO2/3 but that is is a far more expensive next step.

Last edited:

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Makes sense. I might go back and look at doing that as well, since I'm going to be doing the front of my 2-door once it warms up a bit more of here in Illinois. Thanks!
The rear took me 5 hours. I'm sure the front including the doors will be another 5 hours. It's a PIA but there is no way I can do a 9 hour road trip with this interior noise. I would have to use my Air Pods on noise cancelling it live through it.

Sponsored

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like you I question how much the base layer of 80 mil is actually adding or if one layer of 3 in 1 will yield a similar result with half the effort. That said, I am desperate to drop the interior noise level and this is definitely an improvement. The next step is to dump the Goodyears for some BFG KO2/3 or Nitto AT3 but that is is a far more expensive next step.
Since I could tell a difference I figured it must still work. I opted for the 3 in 1 by itself just as a time saver. It took me forever like 5 1/2 - 6hrs from start to finish. My doors took ages to do having to do the Butyl then the foam. But its not easy with how you have to basically apply it blind haha.

I definitely want to switch to a more quiet tire by the end of this year since the was on the lower side when I purchased them. But I couldn't pass them up for only $800 back in November. I'm curious the difference in noise levels with those tires, or even the Wildpeaks.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Since I could tell a difference I figured it must still work. I opted for the 3 in 1 by itself just as a time saver. It took me forever like 5 1/2 - 6hrs from start to finish. My doors took ages to do having to do the Butyl then the foam. But its not easy with how you have to basically apply it blind haha.

I definitely want to switch to a more quiet tire by the end of this year since the was on the lower side when I purchased them. But I couldn't pass them up for only $800 back in November. I'm curious the difference in noise levels with those tires, or even the Wildpeaks.
I love Wildpeaks and have them on my 1967 bronco and 2016 Range Rover full size BUT the new AT4W is 76 pounds! You will definitely notice a 20 pound per tire weight increase.

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I love Wildpeaks and have them on my 1967 bronco and 2016 Range Rover full size BUT the new AT4W is 76 pounds! You will definitely notice a 20 pound per tire weight increase.
Holy smokes, thats a lot of weight!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow I admire the dedication. How much time to do the sound deadening?
Just for the back, it took a solid afternoon.
Sponsored