ToddGreen

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good stuff, @Easy-v and @WheresMyBronco.

Can you let us know what type of weatherstripping you used along the body channels?

It would be really helpful to know at least the shape (D, B, etc.) and size (width and thickness) and brand (if possible) to know what worked for you.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went out for a drive with weatherstripping on all 4 doors and it definitely feels like there's better sound insulation from things around the Bronco. Hopefully it's not all in my head, but I feel like there's no way it didn't help. Thankfully the doors all close fine as well.

I summarized what I did below with part numbers from McMaster (@ToddGreen):

Driver door:
McMaster 93085K525 on the plastic door trim. Worked well but I'd probably put it on the body channel if I did it again

Passenger door:
McMaster 93085K393 on the body channel. Works well and looks the best imo. Has a good seal on the door

Driver's side rear door:
McMaster 93085K556 on the body channel. Works well and had the best seal on the door

Passenger side rear door:
McMaster 93085K52 on the body channel. Worked well but the seal could be better

I think you'd need around 20ft of weatherstripping to do all 4 doors but it could be a bit more. I'm sure weatherstripping from Amazon would work too, but the adhesive, material, and hardness might be different. I also tried McMaster 93085K577 but it was too thick and the door wouldn't close.

If you're wondering how I tested the seals, I used a very scientific method that consisted of seeing how well the weatherstripping held on to a piece of paper that I would shut the door on and pull.

Driver's door:
20240222_133946.jpg

Passenger door:
20240223_091327.jpg

Driver's side rear door:
20240223_125920.jpg

20240223_125950.jpg

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you feel like it makes the doors more difficult to close? I already have an odd issue with mine, where I frequently need to two 2-3 times, especially on the passenger side. However, I need to work my sound deadening and this looks like a good idea.
No.
Will find out this summer if there is any impact or consequence with the doors off, but at the end of the day its ~$30 in weather stripping.

Looks like the OP did two sets of weatherstripping per door. I only did the one - on the chasis and not directly on the door. So, for me, no impact on closing doors.

Last edited:

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good stuff, @Easy-v and @WheresMyBronco.

Can you let us know what type of weatherstripping you used along the body channels?

It would be really helpful to know at least the shape (D, B, etc.) and size (width and thickness) and brand (if possible) to know what worked for you.

Thanks.
My original intent was to 100% do everything in the sound deadening thread - I really only did 2 things and it made massive improvements.

For the weatherstripping - I messed up and originally only bought 10 feet - which wasn't enough. Ended up buying another role of 20 feet - used about ~24-26 ft.

Kaixuan Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip Self Adhesive Car Truck Door Window Soundproof Noise Insulation Sealing

Only complaint is some of the adhesive on the ends was not holding, but as it is sandwiched in the door most of its life, the one time I noticed it not sticking, I put the end back in place and just shut the door. Haven't noticed it displace since.

I have a soft top, with a Gear shade, and living north of I80, the top is up all winter. Bought one of these and put it between the gearshade and the soft top - did not remove the adhesive - its just free floating on top of the gear shade --

Dynamat DynaCore Thermo-Acoustic Fiber Heat- and noise-absorbing liner — 32" x 54", 12 square feet (1" thick)

That sucks up a lot of the echo from the back, I can now listen to radio on volume 4-6 very comfortably at 55mph + on windy days.

Partially in this picture when I was installing my @Meraki Hammocks mounts:
Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise 1708725865587

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Went out for a drive with weatherstripping on all 4 doors and it definitely feels like there's better sound insulation from things around the Bronco. Hopefully it's not all in my head, but I feel like there's no way it didn't help. Thankfully the doors all close fine as well.

I summarized what I did below with part numbers from McMaster (@ToddGreen):

Driver door:
McMaster 93085K525 on the plastic door trim. Worked well but I'd probably put it on the body channel if I did it again

Passenger door:
McMaster 93085K393 on the body channel. Works well and looks the best imo. Has a good seal on the door

Driver's side rear door:
McMaster 93085K556 on the body channel. Works well and had the best seal on the door

McMaster 93085K52 on the body channel. Worked well but the seal could be better

I think you'd need around 20ft of weatherstripping to do all 4 doors but it could be a bit more. I'm sure weatherstripping from Amazon would work too, but the adhesive, material, and hardness might be different. I also tried McMaster 93085K577 but it was too thick and the door wouldn't close.

If you're wondering how I tested the seals, I used a very scientific method that consisted of seeing how well the weatherstripping held on to a piece of paper that I would shut the door on and pull.

Driver's door:

Passenger door:

Driver's side rear door:

This is great, thanks for the pictures! Do you plan to change each door to have the same/best stripping?

And for someone who will do this hopefully in the near future, would you recommend 93085K556 over 93085K393?

I agree with you that 93085K393 has a better look and since I already have put sound deadening in the doors, I'm wondering if the better seal is needed (or by how much the seal is better), if that makes sense?

Sponsored
OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is great, thanks for the pictures! Do you plan to change each door to have the same/best stripping?

And for someone who will do this hopefully in the near future, would you recommend 93085K556 over 93085K393?

I agree with you that 93085K393 has a better look and since I already have put sound deadening in the doors, I'm wondering if the better seal is needed (or by how much the seal is better), if that makes sense?
No problem! The OCD in me wants to make all the weatherstripping match, but at the same time it works pretty well and I'm lazy.

I just tested it out again and 93058K556 seems to actually create a solid seal all around the door, whereas 93085K393 is definitely lacking towards the bottom/front of the door. Then again, maybe there's just some differences when comparing a front door to a rear door. Regardless, I'm sure it still offers some sound insulation, but I think I'd go with 93058K556 if I were to redo all of my doors personally.

Do you think the sound deadening in the doors is worth the effort?

Edit: quick disclaimer, 93058K556 was the best seal in my case but it might be different on each Bronco/door.

Last edited:

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Road noise is generally reduced via body panel sound dampening but the level of effort is a bit higher. Might be step 2 for reducing noise if you feel you need a little more.
Really appreciate the info on seals. We just got our BB and haven't road tripped yet. Below 45 noise intrusion seems acceptable. Then again I grew up driving cars in the 60s and 70s when road noise wasn't a thing.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No problem! The OCD in me wants to make all the weatherstripping match, but at the same time it works pretty well and I'm lazy.

I just tested it out again and 93058K556 seems to actually create a solid seal all around the door, whereas 93085K393 is definitely lacking towards the bottom/front of the door. Then again, maybe there's just some differences when comparing a front door to a rear door. Regardless, I'm sure it still offers some sound insulation, but I think I'd go with 93058K556 if I were to redo all of my doors personally.

Do you think the sound deadening in the doors is worth the effort?

Edit: quick disclaimer, 93058K556 was the best seal in my case but it might be different on each Bronco/door.
Thanks for the response! I'll use 93058K556 then. I actually have some that I ordered for some of the hard top wind noise reduction stuff. There should be a little left over for a test bit (I initially only ordered 10 feet). I'll try to get to that sometime in the next week and see how it works.

So quick disclaimer for sound deadening: I have no idea what I'm doing, I just attempt to follow what others have said online. Also, I have a 2 door, so not sure if that makes a difference.

With that out of the way, I'd agree with @Dialtone, especially since you seem to have some success with the weatherstripping in the doors. I'd probably say its better to sound deaden the rest of the interior and go for the doors last if you think you still need to. I mainly used this post to inform what I've done so far (here is a link to his answers for my specific questions).

I've currently done sound deadening everywhere except for under the front seats (I hope to tackle that this weekend). I did take some sound measurements but misplaced them. Anecdotally, it definitely feels more solid and the speakers (stock non-B&O system) sound a bit better.

I don't regret doing the doors, they sound a lot more solid now (satisfying thunk), but I'm not sure if it actually helped the sound/noise levels.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for sharing all of the info/links @soupcansam!

Btw, for anyone wondering/following, I just took a 3 hour road trip in the Bronco and there is definitely an improvement, and this time I know it's not just in my head because my wife noticed it too.

I was able to drive ~85-90mph before the road noise started to get annoying, whereas I felt like it used to happen at like ~70mph before. Very happy with the results and I definitely think it's worth the $30-60 and 20 minutes that it took to install them.

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I ended up ordering and adding 93085K556 to the rest of the doors except the front passenger door, which I left as 93085K393. Main reason why I did that is because that door already takes more effort to close than the rest, so I didn't want to risk making it harder. Plus it looks pretty good already.

The seal of the doors that I added 93085K556 is better than it was before, and it doesn't seem to affect closing. You'll probably need more than 20ft for all 4 doors, though.

Also, since you probably have some leftover from the MIC wind noise guide, I also added a strip of 93085K525 to the top of my tailgate to help with the rubber creaking noises. All of the weatherstripping I added definitely makes everything sound more solid.

Sponsored

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ended up ordering and adding 93085K556 to the rest of the doors except the front passenger door, which I left as 93085K393. Main reason why I did that is because that door already takes more effort to close than the rest, so I didn't want to risk making it harder. Plus it looks pretty good already.

The seal of the doors that I added 93085K556 is better than it was before, and it doesn't seem to affect closing. You'll probably need more than 20ft for all 4 doors, though.

Also, since you probably have some leftover from the MIC wind noise guide, I also added a strip of 93085K525 to the top of my tailgate to help with the rubber creaking noises. All of the weatherstripping I added definitely makes everything sound more solid.
Sounds good, I ordered a lot of the 93085K556 so I should have more than enough.

I didn't think of adding anything to the tailgate though, that's a great idea! I'll make sure to try that out. Thanks!

OP
OP
WheresMyBronco

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds good, I ordered a lot of the 93085K556 so I should have more than enough.

I didn't think of adding anything to the tailgate though, that's a great idea! I'll make sure to try that out. Thanks!
Not my original pic but I put the weatherstripping here in between the two larger rubber pieces. I didn't want to go over those rubber pieces so it doesn't put too much pressure on the rear glass.

Ford Bronco Adding More Weatherstripping - Tackling Road Noise Screenshot_20240301_091311_Chrome
Sponsored