Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I guess I'm the only one with a factory MIC 1.0 top that after almost two years is still leak-free, looks good, showing no lamination issues, etc.?
But hey, people that want to replace their soft-top need options and here is a fairly nice one. As long as you don't mind that giant panel to remove.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any plans for a 2-door hard top?
^^^THIS^^^
If my OEM falls apart, I WILL buy on of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But...I have a 2 door. When will one be available? Thank you.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think ADV ever thought they were going to sell a ton of these to existing hard top owners. The target market is soft top owners, and there are plenty of us out there.

If Ford ever gets its act together and offers a complete hard top assembly over the parts counter, I highly doubt it will cost any less than ADV's top, but even if the price was similar, I would go with ADV in a heartbeat. A Ford top would have to be under $4K complete to even get a second look from me, and that's never going to happen...

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As a soft top owner and had a strong need for a HT, ADV is the way Iā€™d go. The foam core vs paper makes it a no brained. Who was the genius who though a paper core panel in an automotive application was a good ideaā€¦Ford? If the price was closer to $4K, Iā€™d bite and put a Sunrider on.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Anderson Composites top and love it. I think it and the ADV options are both top notch and it comes down to what your preferences are. I prefer the more modular design is the reason I went with Anderson Composites. The cost difference for me was also a factor $6k vs $8.5K (shipping and all options). If I was going to go with the ADV, it would definitely be the modular version. It looks great and the slant design is something I'm sure a lot of folks will like.

Sponsored

ths0002

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OBX 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I may have missed it, but I'd love a video on your non-modular top vs modular, @ADV Fiberglass. I get the physical difference but would be interested in seeing the difference in cabin noise and other differences.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Before too many people keep spreading misinformation about the "paper core, causing mold and separation" take a minute to understand what "Honeycomb composite material" is, it is used on every aircraft you have ever flown on, it is used on boats, spacecraft and yes, throughout the automotive industry.

It is not "paper" alone, as some would infer, every industry uses different types of materials to make up the Honeycomb, for automotive, one method is to use paper honeycombs that are coated with a mixture of waterproof sealer and reinforcing fibers.

No, I'm not being an apologist for the poor design decisions Ford and Webasto made in order to save cost on the MIC tops, but Honeycomb is not not one of those. It has more to do with the laminate thickness and the method of edge finishing.

Here is Webasto Automotive grade honeycomb description:
Polyurethane composites consist of paper honeycombs which are covered by a mixture of polyurethane and reinforcing fibers.
https://www.webasto-group.com/en/technologies-trends/lightweight/polyurethane-composites/
Here is a link for Hexcel, one of the major suppliers to the Aircraft, Spacecraft, Marine and Automotive industries, who use Honeycomb in all types of structures.
https://www.hexcel.com/Markets/

Last edited:

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Before too many people keep spreading misinformation about the "paper core, causing mold and separation" take a minute to understand what "Honeycomb composite material" is, it is used on every aircraft you have ever flown on, it is used on boats, spacecraft and yes, throughout the automotive industry.

It is not "paper" alone, as some would infer, every industry uses different types of materials to make up the Honeycomb, for automotive, one method is to use paper honeycombs that are coated with a mixture of waterproof sealer and reinforcing fibers. On aircraft, every material goes through flammability testing to keep passengers safe.

No, I'm not being an apologist for the poor design decisions Ford and Webasto made in order to save cost on the MIC tops, but Honeycomb is not not one of those. It has more to do with the laminate thickness and the method of edge finishing.

Here is a link for Hexcel, one of the major suppliers to the Aircraft, Spacecraft, Marine and Automotive industries, who use Honeycomb in all types of structures.
Bingo. The honeycomb has nothing to do with the garbage quality of the MIC top. It has everything to do with the paper thin laminate layer. Even the edge issues are caused by material thickness. Ford had weight and cost issues that won out in the end.

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@ADV Fiberglass Will you all have any product/booths at SuperCel west this year. Id love to see thing in person.

OP
OP
ADV Fiberglass

ADV Fiberglass

Big Bend
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advfiberglass.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honeycomb construction is fine, paper composites not so much. Aluminum, carbon fiber, aramid, etc donā€™t absorb moisture.

It is not "paper" alone, as some would infer, every industry uses different types of materials to make up the Honeycomb, for automotive, one method is to use paper honeycombs that are coated with a mixture of waterproof sealer and reinforcing fibers.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Honeycomb construction is fine, paper composites not so much. Aluminum, carbon fiber, aramid, etc donā€™t absorb moisture.
Here is the part of my post you deleted, you know the part where is says "polyurethane", which is a waterproof coating for the paper core.

Polyurethane composites consist of paper honeycombs which are covered by a mixture of polyurethane and reinforcing fibers.
https://www.webasto-group.com/en/technologies-trends/lightweight/polyurethane-composites/
Any water intrusion into the MIC tops is from the thin plastic laminate cracking and cut finished edges. The original design was for rolled edges to allow better sealing but Ford and Webasto changed that to save production time.

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this is not an apples to apples comparison. The honeycomb used in aircraft control surfaces is typically fiberglass, composite or aluminum. often interior components are made with nomex paperboard honeycomb that is sealed with a laminate, eg. epoxy, etc. The ADV video clearly showed that the paper in the factory top was not a laminate product, if it was, it would not have absorbed the water.

Broncobadlands2023

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread reminds me why I love my Jeep. A 6K after market top is ridiculous and should be an embarrassment for Ford.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t see an issue with the 2 piece vs 4 piece regarding going topless. Itā€™s either all off or none in my opinion. Both are a pain. Thatā€™s what nice about the soft top.
The slant isnā€™t too dramatic. I have a feeling all the aftermarket tops, particularly the hard top are slanted so they donā€™t appear to be a Ford copy causing some legal or monetary issue.
The construction of ADV is so much better. The OEM is obviously designed with cost in mind first. Iā€™m a soft top owner and they could do better there too. But did design a cool top.
Sponsored