Sponsored

Advanced Fiberglass Concepts vs Turn Offroad Hardtop?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
its not Anderson, that one is bad azz.
Just checked, it is Anderson, looks like an after-thought, lets glue some shitty material to the top and call it a day. But if it significantly reduces sound better than the OEM top, it's a good trade-off.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just checked, it is Anderson, looks like an after-thought, lets glue some shitty material to the top and call it a day. But if it significantly reduces sound better than the OEM top, it's a good trade-off.
Have you seen one vs pics? Its better than OEM stuff so to me seems to be an upgrade. Not saying it couldn't be better but with that comes more $.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fair enough, some good points. Some like the TOR headliner everything is subjective. But hey there is something to be said for a headliner from Jeffrey Epstein Lolita Express 🤣
I'd love to see some actual dB readings for the AC top compared to OEM or even a soft top. That AC headliner looks fancy but doesn't seem to cover enough or be tight enough to the do much good. Haven't seen it in person but looks gimmicky from pictures on B6G. Hard to judge without actual numbers. Maybe aesthetics above the drivers head is more important to some. Outside of eliminating the OEM snakeskin issues and what is an aesthetically improved liner (to some) what is better about the AC? I'm not bashing...just asking. I have not seen anyone walk on their AC to test strength, have not seen any dB comparisons, or seen any reliable delivery time estimates, In fact I have only seen quality issues posted about the white tops paint, window gasket problems, and delivery delays.

All of the above questions go for Rallytop and Armadillo as well.

There is nothing to bash ADV for about quality since nobody has one (they deserve bashing for other issues) but from past videos they look strong with good fitment and multiple options.

TOR has room for improving with latch aesthetics, and liner appearance (to some), and delivering on wiper/defrost options. Other than that they are killing it on price, warranty, customer communication, and delivery schedule.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love to see some actual dB readings for the AC top compared to OEM or even a soft top. That AC headliner looks fancy but doesn't seem to cover enough or be tight enough to the do much good. Haven't seen it in person but looks gimmicky from pictures on B6G. Hard to judge without actual numbers. Maybe aesthetics above the drivers head is more important to some. Outside of eliminating the OEM snakeskin issues and what is an aesthetically improved liner (to some) what is better about the AC? I'm not bashing...just asking. I have not seen anyone walk on their AC to test strength, have not seen any dB comparisons, or seen any reliable delivery time estimates, In fact I have only seen quality issues posted about the white tops paint, window gasket problems, and delivery delays.

All of the above questions go for Rallytop and Armadillo as well.

There is nothing to bash ADV for about quality since nobody has one (they deserve bashing for other issues) but from past videos they look strong with good fitment and multiple options.

TOR has room for improving with latch aesthetics, and liner appearance (to some), and delivering on wiper/defrost options. Other than that they are killing it on price, warranty, customer communication, and delivery schedule.
AC has better latches than OEM and it’s more easily painted. Plus is fiberglass so easier to repair if need. We have only seen one quality issue with the finish but no structural issues. The vast majority of AC top owners are happy and out enjoying it haha.

I don’t get the trend with walking on the tops. I don’t plan on walking on mine so that’s not really a feature I need. It doesn’t mean the AC isn’t durable.

AC is also the only one as modular as OEM. So if a person values modularity the most it’s the only game in town for that

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This thread should be titled
“Unicorn VS Thorughbred Horse”

One exists, the other is just a myth at this point…

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
AC has better latches than OEM and it’s more easily painted. Plus is fiberglass so easier to repair if need. We have only seen one quality issue with the finish but no structural issues. The vast majority of AC top owners are happy and out enjoying it haha.

I don’t get the trend with walking on the tops. I don’t plan on walking on mine so that’s not really a feature I need. It doesn’t mean the AC isn’t durable.

AC is also the only one as modular as OEM. So if a person values modularity the most it’s the only game in town for that
You make some good points, and AC is lighter weight which is not a bad thing. Great to have options. Right now TOR is the most available and $2K less money (with shipping), so they are garnering all the excitement right now for good reason.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You make some good points, and AC is lighter weight which is not a bad thing. Great to have options. Right now TOR is the most available and $2K less money (with shipping), so they are garnering all the excitement right now for good reason.
Completely agree! 👍

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know if the turn off road top can be delivered in white or primer?
Only comes in shiny black, i.e., not a flat dark gray color that will match the rest of the Bronco.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh don't get me wrong, in the summer my top is open/down pretty often. I actually left it in safari mode the most, with the rear windows all removed. I think I will miss that capability more than anything.

I was interested in Anderson's top until ADV did their cross section cutout of it. It's clearly inferior to the MIC top with only plastic honeycomb structures reinforcing certain spots. I really wanted ADV to success but ToR has them on price and has designed and delivered a production unit to a happy customer WAY faster and offers a lifetime warranty.

Here's my full criteria if anyone cares:

1. It's BEYOND ridiculous that we can't just order an OEM MIC through Ford. This was 100% promised to us who switched. The Bronco has been in the public's hands since like June/July of 2021, Webasto has had. plenty of time to ramp up production. This issue is intentional on Ford's part that the fastest way to convert a ST to a HT is to buy another Bronco.
  2. I'm not funding your product development. A deposit upfront is reasonable, but the full price is just crazy. You shouldn't be burdening the customer with your risks.
  3. The price for a fiberglass/MIC should NOT exceed 20-25% on top of what a Jeep top costs, lets say $5000 is absolute maximum. Anything past that and it better have some amazing improvements, so Armadillo had my attention there using aluminum and integrating a bunch of features but they've been posting the same pictures on instagram for months on end and still won't produce a prototype square back. Every time I ask its a cop out of "it's easy to make the square back once the slant back is done. Okay, so what the heck are you waiting for if it's easy.
  4. Slant back: Well the only people who can give up that much cargo space are people who use the Bronco as a "toy". Not for me.
  5. I actually couldn't care less if the second row panel is removable, I want rigidity and reliability. Theres a good chance I'm putting a trailrax on top of this thing and will never take the top off again. I was very interested in the ADV 1-piece top, but with the proper featureset added that was over 7K.
  6. Great communication, Turn OffRoad is crushing this. If you order an AC top, you have to go through a dealer (who's taking a cut, for sure) and they can only give like half a year wait estimates.
  7. OEM compatibility: I will say, RallyTops gets it done, but not supporting OEM roof rack mount points and only offering a roof rack that can hold a very small amount of weight just crosses it off my list. Their first revision looked pretty bad to me.
So with all that being said, I went with TOR. They're slipping in shipping due to some US Customs not liking the wood used to crate the tops, unfortunate, but I'm sure it'll get sorted, and they are being VERY upfront about it.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh don't get me wrong, in the summer my top is open/down pretty often. I actually left it in safari mode the most, with the rear windows all removed. I think I will miss that capability more than anything.

I was interested in Anderson's top until ADV did their cross section cutout of it. It's clearly inferior to the MIC top with only plastic honeycomb structures reinforcing certain spots. I really wanted ADV to success but ToR has them on price and has designed and delivered a production unit to a happy customer WAY faster and offers a lifetime warranty.

Here's my full criteria if anyone cares:

1. It's BEYOND ridiculous that we can't just order an OEM MIC through Ford. This was 100% promised to us who switched. The Bronco has been in the public's hands since like June/July of 2021, Webasto has had. plenty of time to ramp up production. This issue is intentional on Ford's part that the fastest way to convert a ST to a HT is to buy another Bronco.
  2. I'm not funding your product development. A deposit upfront is reasonable, but the full price is just crazy. You shouldn't be burdening the customer with your risks.
  3. The price for a fiberglass/MIC should NOT exceed 20-25% on top of what a Jeep top costs, lets say $5000 is absolute maximum. Anything past that and it better have some amazing improvements, so Armadillo had my attention there using aluminum and integrating a bunch of features but they've been posting the same pictures on instagram for months on end and still won't produce a prototype square back. Every time I ask its a cop out of "it's easy to make the square back once the slant back is done. Okay, so what the heck are you waiting for if it's easy.
  4. Slant back: Well the only people who can give up that much cargo space are people who use the Bronco as a "toy". Not for me.
  5. I actually couldn't care less if the second row panel is removable, I want rigidity and reliability. Theres a good chance I'm putting a trailrax on top of this thing and will never take the top off again. I was very interested in the ADV 1-piece top, but with the proper featureset added that was over 7K.
  6. Great communication, Turn OffRoad is crushing this. If you order an AC top, you have to go through a dealer (who's taking a cut, for sure) and they can only give like half a year wait estimates.
  7. OEM compatibility: I will say, RallyTops gets it done, but not supporting OEM roof rack mount points and only offering a roof rack that can hold a very small amount of weight just crosses it off my list. Their first revision looked pretty bad to me.
So with all that being said, I went with TOR. They're slipping in shipping due to some US Customs not liking the wood used to crate the tops, unfortunate, but I'm sure it'll get sorted, and they are being VERY upfront about it.
TOR is a great choice and you will be happy with it no doubt.

But I think you’re off saying the AC top is inferior to MIC based info ADV’s video. I reached out AC on that video and they said ADV was making a lot of assumptions about their top. Also considering everyone who has an AC top has raved about the quality (except for 1 paint issue) I think the quality is solid.

For me the only negatives with the AC top is price and wait. But I got the text yesterday that mine is being produced so hopefully soon I’ll be out of this hard top waiting game haha

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TOR is a great choice and you will be happy with it no doubt.

But I think you’re off saying the AC top is inferior to MIC based info ADV’s video. I reached out AC on that video and they said ADV was making a lot of assumptions about their top. Also considering everyone who has an AC top has raved about the quality (except for 1 paint issue) I think the quality is solid.

For me the only negatives with the AC top is price and wait. But I got the text yesterday that mine is being produced so hopefully soon I’ll be out of this hard top waiting game haha
Well, AC can simply respond with a live cross section review. Silence is deafening here. Is it worth 20% more than a Turn top? I think what's hard here is the rollout of these is so slow, I've never seen one.

Last edited:

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, AC can simply respond with a live cross section review. Silence is deafening here. Is it worth 20% more than a Turn top? I think what's hard here is the rollout of these is so slow, I've never seen one.
Why do they need to though? Their tops are fine. They’ve had no delaminating, cracks, snakeskin or any structural issues reported thus far. And they are selling a lot. It would be nice if they could cranks them out faster but they rely on the OEM supply chain. There are YouTube reviews at least

It’s only worth 20% more than TOR if the customer wants the increased modularity and wiper/defrost. If not then nope. TOR is the best value $ for $ in the game.

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nah, TOR tops are being delivered.
Mine should arrive in a couple weeks.
Yup, ADV and Armadillo are the only unicorns rn. The other tops are in customers hands even if the quantity isn’t as high as we’d like
Sponsored