First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1) What if you don't have time to wait on people, and need to hit the trails alone? Solo trips, etc. What are the most important precautions?

2)Assuming no rocky trails, do you need to air down for higher speed offroading? I presume the Wildtrak can handle a lead foot?
Sponsored

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

After 6 months on this forum I can see that there are lots of potentially new off-road enthusiasts looking to get into Broncos! This is exciting and itā€™ll be great to see the 4x4 community grow in general.

I also see lots of ā€œwhatā€™s this doā€, ā€œdo I need this or thatā€ type questions, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on my general philosophy after having been heavy into off-roading the last ~15 years or so. With my below suggestions, I will assume that you may someday want to do some serious trails - not just gravel roads and an occasional mud rut.
  1. The number one thing I want to tell you is that I believe it as FAR more advantageous to pony up as much money as possible to purchase the stoutest factory driveline that you can get in your rig - if you even remotely think you may wheel aggressively. Iā€™m talking about making sure you spend your money on things that ARENā€™T easy to change or add on in the aftermarket / used market world.
    • The prime example of this would be axles. If you think you will someday want to run 35ā€+ tires, do everything within your power to get the M210 axles. An example of this in the Jeep world would be the Dana 35 axles - which are a serious drawback when one wants to get serious about wheeling. Especially with lockers.
  2. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ā€˜79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. Itā€™s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  3. Sway-bar disconnect. You NEED a sway-bar disconnect. You do NOT need the fancy-pants electronic disconnect Bronco offers as there will be aftermarket versions available cheap, but you cannot underestimate the value of this extra articulation. Adding an aftermarket version will likely be a nice intro to DIY vehicle modifications. Disconnects I think will be even more important with the Bronco due to the already lesser articulation compared to a solid front axle.
  4. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. Itā€™s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35ā€ tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
  5. You do NOT NEED BEADLOCKS! I regularly run 12psi in the rear, and 15psi in the front. This is plenty low to get adequate deformation of the tire (see above picture). I have only had 1 problem with unseating a bead, which was due to winch operator error (I winched myself sideways when it wasn't necessary). Until you're doing expert level stuff, save your money for those lockers ;)
In summary - Iā€™m part of a Jeep Club and I CONSTANTLY see people buying expensive D44 crate axles, paying for lockers with install labor, etc., and generally speaking they always wish they would have just bought a Rubicon to begin with. It can eliminate a lot of headache if youā€™re think you might get serious. Starting with the best available hardware to begin with has a lot of advantages.

IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTIONS FROM OTHER MEMBERS (Paraphrased)
  1. Trail Etiquette @Ramble_Offroad
    1. Never go wheeling alone
    2. Stay on designated routes
    3. Always pick up your trash
    4. Tread lightly
    5. Don't be an asshole
    6. Pay it forward
    7. Leave it better than you found it
    8. https://staythetrail.org/
  2. Wheeling Advice @Ramble_Offroad @Bronco @WillisCā€™onnors @BLTN
    1. Understand and stay within the limits of your equipment and skillset
      • Be realistic
      • Don't let anyone (especially cute girls/guys) talk you into exceeding your limits
    2. Too much throttle + hopping = broken shit
    3. Join a local club. They will have access to private wheeling ground you won't. Also a great deal of experienced people.
    4. Anticipate the effects of poor weather. A moderate trail can become nearly impassable after just a few minutes of rain/snow
  3. Gear advice @Ramble_Offroad @Gr8Hortoni @Blksn955.o
    • You NEED a first aid kit. It can be simple.
    • Tire puncture repair kit & air compressor = gold
      • Great way to pick up 4x4 chicks err I mean friends
    • LOCKERS BEFORE LIGHTBARS!!!
      • When the rubber meats the road, ONLY functionality matters.
    • A blanket - girls love them and so do you
    • Roll of toilet paper. Definitely necessary - keep a full roll in a plastic bag. Leaves or a sacrificial sock are your alternative...
MIOBI (Make It Or Break It) - Knoxville, IA (private owned park)
IMG_4197.JPG

Strike Ravine - Moab, UT
StrikeRavine3.jpg

Iron Range - Gilbert, MN (Public DNR run park)
DSCN1073.JPG
All great advice.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After 6 months on this forum I can see that there are lots of potentially new off-road enthusiasts looking to get into Broncos! This is exciting and itā€™ll be great to see the 4x4 community grow in general.

I also see lots of ā€œwhatā€™s this doā€, ā€œdo I need this or thatā€ type questions, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on my general philosophy after having been heavy into off-roading the last ~15 years or so. With my below suggestions, I will assume that you may someday want to do some serious trails - not just gravel roads and an occasional mud rut.
  1. The number one thing I want to tell you is that I believe it as FAR more advantageous to pony up as much money as possible to purchase the stoutest factory driveline that you can get in your rig - if you even remotely think you may wheel aggressively. Iā€™m talking about making sure you spend your money on things that ARENā€™T easy to change or add on in the aftermarket / used market world.
    • The prime example of this would be axles. If you think you will someday want to run 35ā€+ tires, do everything within your power to get the M210 axles. An example of this in the Jeep world would be the Dana 35 axles - which are a serious drawback when one wants to get serious about wheeling. Especially with lockers.
  2. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ā€˜79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. Itā€™s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  3. Sway-bar disconnect. You NEED a sway-bar disconnect. You do NOT need the fancy-pants electronic disconnect Bronco offers as there will be aftermarket versions available cheap, but you cannot underestimate the value of this extra articulation. Adding an aftermarket version will likely be a nice intro to DIY vehicle modifications. Disconnects I think will be even more important with the Bronco due to the already lesser articulation compared to a solid front axle.
  4. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. Itā€™s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35ā€ tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
  5. You do NOT NEED BEADLOCKS! I regularly run 12psi in the rear, and 15psi in the front. This is plenty low to get adequate deformation of the tire (see above picture). I have only had 1 problem with unseating a bead, which was due to winch operator error (I winched myself sideways when it wasn't necessary). Until you're doing expert level stuff, save your money for those lockers ;)
In summary - Iā€™m part of a Jeep Club and I CONSTANTLY see people buying expensive D44 crate axles, paying for lockers with install labor, etc., and generally speaking they always wish they would have just bought a Rubicon to begin with. It can eliminate a lot of headache if youā€™re think you might get serious. Starting with the best available hardware to begin with has a lot of advantages.

IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTIONS FROM OTHER MEMBERS (Paraphrased)
  1. Trail Etiquette @Ramble_Offroad
    1. Never go wheeling alone
    2. Stay on designated routes
    3. Always pick up your trash
    4. Tread lightly
    5. Don't be an asshole
    6. Pay it forward
    7. Leave it better than you found it
    8. https://staythetrail.org/
  2. Wheeling Advice @Ramble_Offroad @Bronco @WillisCā€™onnors @BLTN
    1. Understand and stay within the limits of your equipment and skillset
      • Be realistic
      • Don't let anyone (especially cute girls/guys) talk you into exceeding your limits
    2. Too much throttle + hopping = broken shit
    3. Join a local club. They will have access to private wheeling ground you won't. Also a great deal of experienced people.
    4. Anticipate the effects of poor weather. A moderate trail can become nearly impassable after just a few minutes of rain/snow
  3. Gear advice @Ramble_Offroad @Gr8Hortoni @Blksn955.o
    • You NEED a first aid kit. It can be simple.
    • Tire puncture repair kit & air compressor = gold
      • Great way to pick up 4x4 chicks err I mean friends
    • LOCKERS BEFORE LIGHTBARS!!!
      • When the rubber meats the road, ONLY functionality matters.
    • A blanket - girls love them and so do you
    • Roll of toilet paper. Definitely necessary - keep a full roll in a plastic bag. Leaves or a sacrificial sock are your alternative...
MIOBI (Make It Or Break It) - Knoxville, IA (private owned park)

Strike Ravine - Moab, UT

Iron Range - Gilbert, MN (Public DNR run park)
Excellent thread .... i wish people like you had a HANG OUT Channel or something like that on this site

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this post! As a noob there is a lot of great advice, maybe some more advice on builds?

I know I'm not going to start out doing anything extreme in a $50k vehicle but it will be my daily and weekend toy and hope to keep for a long time... so I'm thinking the lowest I would go (4door, family) would be BD/2.3/stick/mid but the highest I would go would be BL/2.7/mid.

I get a really bad case of scope creep on my lowest BD "just adding one more thing" (M190 ugh) and going from ~$43k to ~$52k (top BL) doesn't seem too crazy of a jump for all the stuff you get.... but I am always asking myself it's really worth it.

So let me hear some opinions! and thanks again!

EDIT: here's another question I asked on another thread that never got answered - if I end up going BD non Sas is it possible or make sense that a ratchet style locker could be added to the front if I ever get to the point I think they are needed? or does having rear electronic lockers make that not even an option in the future?
I believe that similar models (Ranger) has a welded front gear (vs. bolted) that makes gearing or front locker changes somewhat more difficult/expensive. It is a dilemma, because I definitely want the HD axle, but I am sort of on the fence about the front locker or sway-bar disconnect. At the end of the day, its a pretty good deal to get it from the factory, as aftermarket axles, gears, lockers are generally a more expensive upgrade down the line. Things like bumpers, skid plates and even leveling kits or replacement shocks/struts are more affordable and accessible for those of us with basic mechanical skills.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love this thread! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

@beto3005 I do a loooot of solo trips. Biggest thing is to know your limitations! One thing I learned about going out to Moab alone! You're never actually alone if you know where to look. Moab has many meet up points. You can sit at a trailhead and more then likely someone else show up. They also had a fb group and two more meeting points.

Next thing for me was research. Alot of trail are rated easy to hard many trail system across the US are like that as well. So if I knew I really was trekking alone if stick to the trails rated 0-3!

Also CBs, sat phones, looking up phone numbers of recovery ppl before heading out. I always ping my phone to a friend as well till I'm out of service range!

All I got at the moment sure I'll think of more after I post.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) What if you don't have time to wait on people, and need to hit the trails alone? Solo trips, etc. What are the most important precautions?

2)Assuming no rocky trails, do you need to air down for higher speed off-roading? I presume the Wildtrak can handle a lead foot?
1. Know where you are and file a trip plan with someone that knows where you are going, when you are expected back and how to contact you. Have the appropriate clothes/shoes to walk out. Dress for the worst possible outcome. Bring enough water for a full day being stuck. Even though it adds risk, I have often gone off road alone, including motorcycles and mountain bikes. I have a few personal horror stories of others who had really bad experiences and almost lost their lives riding alone, so I am aware of the risks and try to minimize them.
2. Depends, higher the speeds, less you want to air down for rim strikes, rolling the tire off the bead, sidewall punctures. Typically lower air pressure if for more low speed work.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2)Assuming no rocky trails, do you need to air down for higher speed offroading? I presume the Wildtrak can handle a lead foot?
1) Let someone know where you're going marked on a map, a ton of self-recovery gear, food, water, clothes, first aid kit that doesn't suck, a sat tracker like a Spot or something. Plan for the worst. Are you familiar with job hazard assessments? Doing something similar before you head out is wise.

2) The Wildtrak though touted as "high speed thrills" or something goofy like that isn't really going to handle a lead foot better than any other Bronco.

It depends on what you call "high speed" ripping down a forest road and flooring through a rock garden are two different things. One is ok for the most part, one is a terrible idea. Lead foot, while it has it's place in off-road, is usually not ideal.

corey07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love this thread! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

@beto3005 I do a loooot of solo trips. Biggest thing is to know your limitations! One thing I learned about going out to Moab alone! You're never actually alone if you know where to look. Moab has many meet up points. You can sit at a trailhead and more then likely someone else show up. They also had a fb group and two more meeting points.

Next thing for me was research. Alot of trail are rated easy to hard many trail system across the US are like that as well. So if I knew I really was trekking alone if stick to the trails rated 0-3!

Also CBs, sat phones, looking up phone numbers of recovery ppl before heading out. I always ping my phone to a friend as well till I'm out of service range!

All I got at the moment sure I'll think of more after I post.
Ditto! As a Lady going solo on a lot of my trips I have to double up on all these things. I have a BOB that modifies for each excursion And some time all that preparing things still can go sideways! Such good information sharing here. Being prepared and knowing limits is great start.

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All these people talking about ā€œneedingā€ 35s, beadlocks, lockers front and rear. I just over here like, ā€œI bet my van could make itā€

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I havent read through this totally yet but I will and I promise to chime in on anything missed I can find.

One thing about overcoming obstacles off road is the rock it, or bump over technique. Alot of time you will pull slow up to an obstacle and immediately lose traction. It may make you give up and try a different route. However within reason and given safety issues like flipping over. Many obstacles can be bumped up over. Basically its trying it slow, then rolling back a few feet to get a little speed at it, then climbing it with more momentum but not as much power(so you dont spin tires and lose traction). Then once you are halfway up it feed in more power gradually to get over the hump. This is easier in a manual because you can shave the power at the low traction moment with clutch slippage and the roll back is obviously easier with a clutch. But it is one of the skills that will get you further ahead on the trail. It also allows for some serious show off moments.

Sponsored

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thread! In discussion of cb radios/communication, I was initially thinking of mounting my cb radio with velcro on the dash and hardwire it to the 12v. I also thought of hardwiring it to the auxiliary switches but didn't want it to take up space for the future. How will some mount and hardwire your communication?

Bronco1951

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape / 2 door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A stock 2-door Badlands does not need 35s. It is WAY capable the way it is. You will be AMAZED what you can do with it if you've never wheeled before. Once you wear out / outgrow the 33s, easy pain-free upgrade to 35s is likely.

I would take the Badlands discussion 1 step further with a discussion on the value of this trim. I view this from 2 different perspectives:
  • Wheeler who values style and creature comforts = YOU NEED A BADLANDS!
    • PERFECT rig. BEST hardware. BEST interior & exterior feature availability
  • Wheeler who doesn't care so much about style and features = FORGET Badlands
    • OVER RATED - you can get approximately equivalent hardware on the BaseSquatch/BlackSquatch for less
    • IMO - a standard Badlands and a BaseSquatch have almost identical offroad capability. You will be able to go almost exactly the same places. The real world advantages of 35" tires and slight lift with Squatch will be nearly negligible on an identical trail with an experienced driver.

If you can guess my build by now:

Standard 4-door Badlands. I value creature comforts, features, and style BUT DEMAND the BEST fundamental hardware. I'm a 4-door because I'm a family man ;) I do not care for 35s because I know I don't need them - for now. The rest of Squatch is nearly worthless to me.
Thanks for the original advice and this update. Confirms my choice of model and options.
Still torn about the BFG's versus the GY's LT285/70/17's. I think the K02's will hold up better off-road, but I think the Goodyears might be a tad better on the road in rain and snow.
I guess I need to see the GY tire tread in the flesh to make my final decision.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great thread! In discussion of cb radios/communication, I was initially thinking of mounting my cb radio with velcro on the dash and hardwire it to the 12v. I also thought of hardwiring it to the auxiliary switches but didn't want it to take up space for the future. How will some mount and hardwire your communication?
I know more and more CBā€™s are falling by the wayside in favor of GMRS/FRS radios, much better sound quality and range for an affordable price. It never hurts to have a cb as additional comma, but I would invest in a good GMRS unit.

anl

Badlands
First Name
andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like itā€™s a hell of a place to start. Thatā€™s the route Iā€™m going. I plan on going up 1 size to 285/75r17, just my personal preference, but other than that Iā€™m gonna wheel it just like that, and Iā€™m out trail riding every other weekend. It checks all the boxes when it comes to the extras you want in an off roader - taller gears, lockers, clearance, tires, articulation and body armor. BD is a great starting point, but if you can afford that little bit more, Badlands is where itā€™s at.
I AGREE......IS THAT TIRE SIZE 34S????

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I AGREE......IS THAT TIRE SIZE 34S????
Basically. The toyo A/T 3ā€™s I was looking at are 33.9x11.3. 1.2ā€ taller and actually .2ā€ narrower than the 285/70r17.
Sponsored