Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
True, but compared, rain and snow water is fairly clean. Also most vehicles have some sort of air dam underneath the front part which shields most of the underside from direct contact from road grime and conditions.

I still feel like Ford should have relocated the alternator up high knowing this could be an issue. Ironically when I was searching on the 2.7, I swear I saw images or the alternator was on top.

What alot of pics show is the alternator basically being "solid" as if it has a shield/casing around it. Is that the case with the Bronco?
It doesn't look enclosed in this video.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually snorkels are for dry conditions such as Australia's outback to get up into fresh air for the engine. Nothing to due with water.
And in the last 100+ years, the US auto industry has never seen the need for a snorkel even in dry conditions....... So really a snorkel is useless as tits on a boar.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

GTUnit

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone know if the Bronco alternator is brushless?

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually snorkels are for dry conditions such as Australia's outback to get up into fresh air for the engine. Nothing to due with water.
Yeah,...Lots of dust in the Everglades.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And in the last 100+ years, the US auto industry has never seen the need for a snorkel even in dry conditions....... So really a snorkel is useless as tits on a boar.
You're joking right? The US auto industry is about the mass market and constant compromises with regulations like the EPA. Of course they're not going to put a snorkel. As a matter of fact isn't the everglades the first factory made vehicle that came with a snorkel?

Your statement basically makes it sound like the entire aftermarket industry is worthless because automakers would have included everything had it really been needed or worthwhile.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're joking right? The US auto industry is about the mass market and constant compromises with regulations like the EPA. Of course they're not going to put a snorkel. As a matter of fact isn't the everglades the first factory made vehicle that came with a snorkel?
The Tacoma Pro had one for about a year or two before scrapping it. How does raising the air intake up a foot, affect "regulations like the EPA"? This should be good. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Snorkels can help with dry, dusty conditions as well as fording deep water. I've had an off road truck in 4 feet of water and was thankful for an intake (snorkel) at 7-1/2 feet. The key is to keep the engine running so water stays out of your exhaust...otherwise you need to extend the exhaust up too.

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You know it’s funny the military humvees with snorkels also have a really high exhaust…that must be so the exhaust vents to dust free air…

67C5380F-5F8D-43AC-A629-BD0C321DB4AA.jpeg

Sponsored

MuttonBuster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12/20 Build BL/SAS/LUX/Tow/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welp mine went out Wednesday. 8627 miles.
As the voltage went down on the way to the dealer, more and more things shut off, then it died in an intersection and parking brake came on. Couldn’t open my tailgate to get inside my rear enclosure where my jumper cables were. Great time at 7:30am in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town.

had been through many of mud puddles. But guess one from the Saturday before killed it, or washing the Bronco did? Hope to have the part in Monday.

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 67C5380F-5F8D-43AC-A629-BD0C321DB4AA
Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 67C5380F-5F8D-43AC-A629-BD0C321DB4AA

mine did the same and my dealership is denying it’s covered by warranty, even though Ford Warranty and team Bronco said it should be.

what was your outcome?

MuttonBuster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12/20 Build BL/SAS/LUX/Tow/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, I did go through muddy water. Alternator failed within a week. Was not submerged and vehicle was never stopped in water. Up to this point, I was absolutely loving the Bronco. Now I am really concerned about its potential limitations (and pissed that I am stranded for our family Thanksgiving trip).
What happened to your alternator? Did you have to pay for the repairs? Did anything else have issues?

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mine did the same and my dealership is denying it’s covered by warranty, even though Ford Warranty and team Bronco said it should be.

what was your outcome?
mine was covered under warranty

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You know it’s funny the military humvees with snorkels also have a really high exhaust…that must be so the exhaust vents to dust free air…
the high exhaust is so if the vehicle has to stop while fording a waterway it can still restart the engine. If you don't do that, the exhaust will flood with water when the engine stops, and during starting water will be pulled into the cylinder and damage the engine.

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
the high exhaust is so if the vehicle has to stop while fording a waterway it can still restart the engine. If you don't do that, the exhaust will flood with water when the engine stops, and during starting water will be pulled into the cylinder and damage the engine.
i know that. I was using sarcasm. It was a response to someone that said snorkels are just to keep dust out of air filters.
Sponsored