Sponsored

Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles)

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the high exhaust is so if the vehicle has to stop while fording a waterway it can still restart the engine. If you don't do that, the exhaust will flood with water when the engine stops, and during starting water will be pulled into the cylinder and damage the engine.
That's an old wives tale.

The exhaust valve is only open when the piston is on the upstroke, pushing exhaust gases out.
Also, the engine creates enough pressure to easily evacuate water from the exhaust pipe.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The alternator is located on the bottom of the engine. My understanding is that Jeep and the Land Rovers have them on top of the engine. Apparently if the alternator gets wet, it will fail. Ford advertised a 33.5” Water Fording ability but the alternator sits below 33.5”. This is a major problem for those that bought a Bronco with the thought of taking it off-road. The Bronco is a very good trail vehicle but any mud, puddles, water that reaches the bottom of the chassis should not be attempted. This is very frustrating. I sold my Defender 110 and purchased a Badlands to be my new daily driver/trail vehicle. I don’t even know if there is a way to fix this as it is not likely to have a new mounting location for the alternator. I presume we will see the water fording numbers to significantly decrease.
Please edit the title and original post with the engine you're referring to or, if it's both, make sure that that's clear in the post. Cheers.

Dannyboy71

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
older land cruisers have this problem. Somebody came out with a sealed alternator ?

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s not the water that ruins them it’s the contaminants in the water. Very unfortunate you had a failure first round. Sounds like it was already ready to fail.

Also fun fact there are two alternator options per engine, 210 and 250. Waiting to see when someone does a 250 amp upgrade and relocation.
250 amp part number please?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How is this any different from those (literally any off-road vehicle ever) with snorkels that completely submerge the engine bay, several times I might add, with no issue? It's not. How about every other CAR, not truck, ever made that goes through puddles with the same low position generator? Sure they have splash guards now, but there are people still driving through "flooded" areas with water high enough to reach the generator. Same goes with trucks and other higher ground clearance vehicles, they see the flooding and go right through because they are higher off the ground and it still gets wet.

I'll do you one better? Ever detail the engine bay? Everything in there gets wet yea? Any issues? No? woah! Crazy how that works huh?

You just happened to have an unfortunate turn of events. Just because it sits low doesn't mean anything.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How is this any different from those (literally any off-road vehicle ever) with snorkels that completely submerge the engine bay, several times I might add, with no issue? It's not. How about every other CAR, not truck, ever made that goes through puddles with the same low position generator? Sure they have splash guards now, but there are people still driving through "flooded" areas with water high enough to reach the generator. Same goes with trucks and other higher ground clearance vehicles, they see the flooding and go right through because they are higher off the ground and it still gets wet.

I'll do you one better? Ever detail the engine bay? Everything in there gets wet yea? Any issues? No? woah! Crazy how that works huh?

You just happened to have an unfortunate turn of events. Just because it sits low doesn't mean anything.
I agree with this . I spray my whole engine down often when cleaning. Also I have the fender liners removed, so things get wetter and muddy easier. The issue has to be with minerals in the water ... even a small amount of iron in the dirt or mud will cause big problems.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please edit the title and original post with the engine you're referring to or, if it's both, make sure that that's clear in the post. Cheers.
The OP's failure (2.7L engine) was initially covered under a different thread, but Doug has now merged the two threads, so there should be less confusion going forward.

FWIW, both engines (2.7L V6 and 2.3L I4) have experienced some failures.
The physical location of the Generator (actual name in the Technical Service Manual) is not that dramatically different vertically between the two engines, although it is a little lower on the 2.7L, and it is located on the passenger's side of the 2.7L engine versus the driver's side of the 2.3L engine.

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 2.7L Generator Location

Ford Bronco Alternator stopped working (5,000 miles) 2.3L Generator Location

Last edited:

Sponsored

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's an old wives tale.

The exhaust valve is only open when the piston is on the upstroke, pushing exhaust gases out.
Also, the engine creates enough pressure to easily evacuate water from the exhaust pipe.
That is not accurate. There is an overlap of 5 to 10 degrees of crankshaft revolution when both are opened. Also when you shut off the ignition the motor doesn't stop instantly, as there is some inertia that continues the rotation. You don't have to fill the cylinder to bend a rod.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The physical location of the Generator (actual name in the Technical Service Manual) is not that dramatically different vertically between the two engines, although it is a little lower on the 2.7L, and it is located on the passenger's side of the 2.7L engine versus the driver's side of the 2.3L engine.
Was a Ford tech for 20yrs before leaving in 2018. I don't need a lesson as to why I said "generator".... wasn't going to waste time explaining why I said "generator" either because "actual name in service technical manual" or throwing out another random fact like "alternator" is trademarked by Chrysler motors.

If you read my post you would see that position of the generator serves no purpose in this matter. People get them wet all the time; be it submerging it doing some off-roading with a snorkel, driving around town on raining days with flooding, or just detailing the engine bay. It's very rare to one fail simply because it got a little wet.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was a Ford tech for 20yrs before leaving in 2018. I don't need a lesson as to why I said "generator".... wasn't going to waste time explaining why I said "generator" either because "actual name in service technical manual" or throwing out another random fact like "alternator" is trademarked by Chrysler motors.

If you read my post you would see that position of the generator serves no purpose in this matter. People get them wet all the time; be it submerging it doing some off-roading with a snorkel, driving around town on raining days with flooding, or just detailing the engine bay. It's very rare to one fail simply because it got a little wet.
I wasn’t trying to teach you a lesson. Just because I quoted your post, along with another user’s post, doesn’t mean that I disagree with you, and I didn’t even quote that part of your post. I was just adding additional information to the entire conversation. There are more people reading this thread than just you and me, and several people have mentioned the location of the alternator.

I only referenced the word “Generator” to minimize potential confusion about the two screenshots that I posted which clearly reference “Generator” and not “Alternator”. You and I know that Ford TSMs have referred to alternators as generators for years, but most other people don’t know that, and they might get confused by screenshots that reference “generator” if I was using the word “alternator”.

I agree with you that just because it sits low doesn’t mean anything. If you had read my prior post in this thread, you might recall that I actually demonstrated with a video that my alternator did not fail after driving through some pretty deep muddy water. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wasn’t trying to teach you a lesson. Just because I quoted your post, along with another user’s post, doesn’t mean that I disagree with you, and I didn’t even quote that part of your post. I was just adding additional information to the entire conversation. There are more people reading this thread than just you and me, and several people have mentioned the location of the alternator.

I only referenced the word “Generator” to minimize potential confusion about the two screenshots that I posted which clearly reference “Generator” and not “Alternator”. You and I know that Ford TSMs have referred to alternators as generators for years, but most other people don’t know that, and they might get confused by screenshots that reference “generator” if I was using the word “alternator”.

I agree with you that just because it sits low doesn’t mean anything. If you had read my prior post in this thread, you might recall that I actually demonstrated with a video that my alternator did not fail after driving through some pretty deep muddy water. 🤷‍♂️
I apologize then, I'm just tired of seeing so many people posting bad information, and you taking only a snippet of my post and using it as a segway to talk about how low the gens are I had assumed that you were taking his side.

I'm talking more in the lines of people thinking they know everything and post certain verbiage to make them seem more legit.
Sponsored