Sponsored

Anybody else concerned about plastic interior looking cheap?

PLindsey725

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The interior of this thing, while may be "cheaper" will still look basically the same in 10-15 years with relative care, as opposed to a luxury car that gets all melty after 5 years, ill take that lasting quality all day over softness. My SVT Focus is a testament to that.

- BMW and VW parts guy.
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The LX is certainly not "rugged" though. At least in a lot of ways...the plastic skirts that surround the entire thing and hand ridiculously low, means it basically stays on rough dirt roads at best. I recently sold one after 10 years (still same body as the new ones), and tons of things had gone bad on the interior (leather cracking, glove box replaced, center cosole replaced at $1100 etc) and exterior. It had a fantastic V8 and was very solid mechanically.....but you're not getting "rugged" interior or exterior with an LX as far as holding up to any type of off road. I expect the Bronco to hold up way better to a beating. Just like my FJ which I paid $31k for held up way better than the Lexus, because inside and out it was utilitarian. A lot of similarities with Bronco...
Since Toyota killed the stealth-wealth Land Cruiser, the LX and the Range Rover are the only two things I can think of that have off-road ability and luxury brand-new for around $100k.

I guess it just goes to show that you can't have everything even at that price point. Hell, even the Defender leaves a lot to be desired in regards to a cheap-feeling interior.

I'm not worried about the Bronco interior. It's very, very common for people to mistake rugged for cheap when it comes to interior quality.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These concerns . . Well they concern me. The Bronco was built to be a rugged off road vehicle no? Why are people even interested in it if they need a soft cushy dash? It’s not a luxury vehicle. Yet most people moan and groan and nit pick it’s lack of luxuries. I fear that eventually the Bronco will go the way of the Defender because people want to pretend to be rugged but they want all the luxuries of a Lincoln.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

YES! My dealer said the same thing. They would only care about you selling it back because their future allocations would be affected if they dont keep a good reservation to converted order ratio.
Exactly. Not concerned at all. We all have several ways out of this if we see it and don’t like it.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To be honest none of this stuff bothers me at all. I’m excited about all of it and I know I’m going to love it all because all I’ve ever driven is a beater!
Just making the point that waiting for a year+ just increases the time to nit pick
I understand completely were your coming from and at the price point these are at there should of been some finer materials on the inside but it is what it is just make sure you use some protectant on the plastics and you will be good

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's interesting the differences in expectation and perception people bring to the table. I'd say my interior concerns are more functional, such as the function of front passenger seat on 2-door models for rear seat access, stuff like that.

As long as it's not going to start cracking or something, the interior trim pieces are way down on my concerns list. Also the Bronco flat-ish dash looks a good candidate for some custom vinyl wrap. Did that on one of my other vehicles - looks nice. Bronco seem like it will be more user customizable than some other vehicles.
Vinyl wrap on the dash seems like a really cool idea. Never thought about that.

Agree on the idea of perceptions. I tend to geek out on materials and interior build quality. I’m less concerned about bells and whistles, especially since pretty much everything digital in driven through the screen nowadays. I do think the materials of the dash are generally important because a) it’s what you are staring at ever time you get into the car, b) it’s visible outside the car and c) it takes a beating from the sun. I don’t care so much that they are nice as I do that they are durable and won’t show scratches easily. No matter what anyone says, feet will end up against the glove box and probably higher. Take the OBX Roast interior, if one piece of sand on someone’s foot or shoe is going to create a giant scratch across that smooth silver crossbeam on the passenger side, then is it really considered functional? How’s it going to look in five years?

Like you say, it’s all subjective based on one’s knowledge and experience of what CAN be done and at what price point. I’d definitely prefer a aluminum powder coated and neoprene dash and I would pay to have it. To me, that’s a truly rugged dash. I guess there are three primary approaches that Ford could take...

1) Make it cheap but somewhat durable and keep the cost down. It’s gonna get beat to death so who cares how it looks later and Ford (and probably Jeep) die-hards will see scratches and dings as a badge of honor as long as it’s still attached to the car. Oh, and I guess it can be replaced.

2) Make it using premium, outdoor materials (rubber, powder coated aluminum, neoprenes, high grade plastics, carbon fibers, etc) that will last a lifetime but will add significant cost that are outside their primary market and probably don’t fit their MAP.

3) Make it using premium materials such as leather and brushed aluminum that will make people cry when the first exposure to elements destroys it.

I’d prefer option two but I suspect the quality will be along the lines of option 1 and I’m okay with that because it’s about what I payed for.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's how rubber floors have always been done in cars and trucks. What were you expecting, Rhinoliner?
Don’t really know what I was expecting.
But the discussion about water potentially getting trapped between layers isn’t a good thing is it? Again, I’m aware that this could be no big deal

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Funny you mention the B&O sound system.
Listened to B&O in a Bronco Sport and it sounded really good. But when I heard it in a 4 door soft top, it sounded mediocre. Not sure why, but I was disappointed.

The longer I wait for this Bronco....the more things I keep finding that bother me ever so slightly (plastic interior, washout floors just being inserts, B&O not being great, etc). And I tend to just be happy with everything

This waiting thing isn’t working well for me lol

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This isn't 50k because it's a luxury vehicle. It's a heavy duty off-road capable vehicle. If you want the SUV with a luxury feel, buy that. But it won't be made for off-road. If you want both, that'll be 100k.
🤤🤤🤤

Land-Cruiser-200-Off-Road-Total-Chaos-1-2000px.jpg

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny you mention the B&O sound system.
Listened to B&O in a Bronco Sport and it sounded really good. But when I heard it in a 4 door soft top, it sounded mediocre. Not sure why, but I was disappointed.
Yikes...yea I’m hoping I get lucky and am able to take a listen during local Bronco showings.

Also maybe the soft top wasn’t great for acoustics?

I really don’t want to go Lux for the B&O and find out it’s negligibly better than the stock radio

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well....Bronco is "an off-road vehicle", built from the ground up to be one first and foremost...so if that's not what you want, you may be barking up the completely wrong tree.
Too many messages and threads on what people do with their vehicles versus their marketed and or real capabilities. It is the American way. The two have nothing to do with each other. With that said, I respect your opinion.

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put one of these bad boys on and your are set! Bring me my Bronco plastic and all!

0FB8E20D-38AB-4510-B1CF-AF3D99595DAB.jpeg

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope, I have an Xterra and we all know how cheap Nissan is. Yeah there's some dings, divots, and scratches in the plastic but its mostly in the back from hauling server equipment around. The front dash and door panels have held up very well for 15 years of abuse.
Sponsored