Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Removable doors is stupid. Too much work and everyone just drops them and fucks them up anyway.

Removable roof.........again, cool concept, but stupid. Wish Ford would have provided an option for a full/true roof that wasn't removable.
This is your perfect car:
Ford Flex 4x4
6m8YsvN.jpg
Sponsored

techdisaster

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only under very specific conditions. I would not trade-in my perfectly working Bronco for a 4-Runner. However, if my Bronco was wrecked and had to be replaced? I would very likely go with a different car because I do not want to go through the hell of ordering a Bronco again. Fordā€™s ordering process did not earn repeat business. I would put in some effort to find a Bronco on the lot, and if not, Iā€™m finding something else.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Could I have this instead?

th-3812091182.jpg
I had one of those, I would trade my BR in for THAT in a heartbeat, Simple design, you bend something ...bend it back, you break something get out the duck tape and bailing wire until you get back to civiization.........but alas those days are long gone....

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hard to find some side-by side comparisons, but did find this US News site that allowed me to. Picked MY 22 of a 4runner and a Bronco. Picked what I thought was a representative comparable trim level and this is what I got. Was nice to see Bronco got higher marks on many things. Again, what 4Runner stands out with is high reliability marks.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/compare?trims=None_14801-422569_14920-425918

Sponsored

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

not a chance for me - Toyota engines are terrible. Creature comforts and build quality is not good. Had a tacoma for 3 years and even with putting 15-18k into with upgrades it wasn't nearly as capable as bronco. Toyota will never get another penny from me
Toyota makes some great vehicles. I drove a Tundra for the last 11 years with zero issues.
Are we really trying to compare a Tacoma to a Bronco now?

They arenā€™t even in the same class.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, if the new Tundra and Sequoia are any indication of the direction Toyota is taking its trucks, then hell no. Both appear to be completely underwhelming and not competitive with domestic alternatives.

Love what Toyota has done with its sports division lately. The GR86, Supra, and GR Corolla are terrific cars. But the Tundra and Sequoia seem to have surprised reviewers with how bad they are.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a Bronco because I was in the market for a new vehicle and wanted something fun. However, it's a lot of money to spend on "fun", and this is my only vehicle. I'm considering something more well-rounded and practical, and the 4Runner was an alternative I considered before pulling the trigger on the Bronco.

The daily irritations of this vehicle are hard for me to ignore and take away from the excitement I once had with it. The hard top sucks. Yeah, it's great that you can take it off, but there are multiple air leaks that make it awfully noisy at highway speed. I have tried all the tricks mentioned on this forum and while there has been an improvement, it's still a very noticeable distraction. There are a couple gaps on the roof panel weather seals above the doors that the Ford dealership insists is "by design" but that's bullshit. It also pops sometimes going over bumps, and I have no convenient place to put it if I want to take it off. I'm concerned about its longevity as well given the snakeskin problem, the fact that one of my rear windows was recently leaking, and that the edges aren't sealed and expose the fiberglass layers.

The window indexing is so annoying. It has a noticeable lag no matter what. The up, down, up down reset instructions do not make a difference. I have to open the door a particular way for it to not catch on the weather seal. If it's freezing outside, I have to run a credit card along the bottom of the glass so the window can index. Otherwise I can't close the door. Also, if I have the door open when starting the engine, the window often un-indexes on its own and I have to wait for it to make up its mind before I can close the door.

Those are my two biggest problems with the Bronco.

I still like it overall but these two problems are a constant reminder that it doesn't have to be this way. It also makes me re-assess what I'm actually going to do with it. I think of really cool off-road places to go but I don't think I'll ever do it, and they don't need 35" tires to get there. I'm not going to push this vehicle to its limit ever. So what am I paying for? The cool factor and that's about it. When looking at accessories I don't really commit to anything built specifically for the Bronco because I want that money spent to be useful on any vehicle in the future. I don't want that value lost when I sell it because generally speaking, accessories do not add resell value to a vehicle.

I'm sure some of you roll your eyes at this. I know that suggesting a non-Bronco in a Bronco forum invites jokes and derision. But I'm spending a lot of money on a vehicle and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting it.
This may be unpopular given a majority of folks are having a ball with your decisions/questions here.
But in your above post you take the time to voice your rational opinions on WHY you are second-guessing your Bronco decision.
Granted, not one of us has to agree or like them, but they are yours.
At the end of the day YOU are the one making the payment on your choice.
And if that choice brings you regret or longing for some other vehicle, then it is clear you need to make the switch.
Not everyone wants a removable roof or doors, not everyone is going to do anything even remotely requiring 35" tires (or even 4WD).
I do question with all of this known, why do the Bronco thing to begin with, but it is not my business or my pocketbook.
You do you.
4Runners are nice and fun, have some weak links for sure that hopefully Toyota will address with the new model.
I also considered it briefly, but for me, the roof and door open-ability was one of the key ingredients, and ones I use pretty much exclusively between April and September.
If a fixed-roof SUV is what you are after due to the lack of drawbacks an open-top capable one delivers, great. you could do a LOT worse than a new TRD, assuming especially after this refresh.
Let's all hope they don't follow the arguably ugly design cues we see with the new Tundra vs the old one.
They took a great-looking full sized truck and made it look like a toy Nissan.

Last edited:

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol I traded my 2020 4Runner for my Bronco. I had 20k on it and got more than I paid for it in trade-in (which is a real bonus in NV because that cut my taxes to almost nothing on the Bronco).

Really the only thing I liked about it was the reliability. As I read somewhere... power of a 4 cyl. and fuel mileage of a V8 in that Toyota 6cyl. Awful fuel mileage (2.7L Sasaquatch Bronco is better), underpowered (can't tow anything), in the mountains that 5 spd transmission constantly searched, the infotainment system was archaic, and the seats are legendarily uncomfortable.

Nothing about the 4Runner that I had, which was a top-of-the-line TRD Pro, would make me want to go back. Toyota needs to do a nearly complete overhaul. Maybe they will.
Not that Iā€™m interested in a 4Runner, but on your one point- ā€œarchaic infotainment systemā€- my badlands has had a black screen of death for 3 months and counting out of the 1 year Iā€™ve owned it šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø Iā€™d take archaic over completely non-functional at this point šŸ˜‚

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, ugly and under powered!

Sponsored

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love what Toyota has done with its sports division lately. The GR86, Supra, and GR Corolla are terrific cars. But the Tundra and Sequoia seem to have surprised reviewers with how bad they are.
One of which is a rebadged BMW, another is half Subaru.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One plus is the color choices of Toyoya. Another than that no thanks.

alohashaneo

Raptor
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' m2 Comp, 22' 911 carrera, Raptor, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Toyota makes some great vehicles. I drove a Tundra for the last 11 years with zero issues.
Are we really trying to compare a Tacoma to a Bronco now?

They arenā€™t even in the same class.
Agreed they arenā€™t comparable. But Iā€™d never trade in a bronco for a 4Runner. Unless you just donā€™t use the capabilities of the bronco. šŸ¤·

Btw this is coming from an 7 time 4Runner owner also
Sponsored