Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

BodieMonster

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Prior to the Bronco release, I was looking at used 4 Runners and Tacomas with the intention of modifying them but I don't see the point of buying a new one. A new TRD Pro is close to the same price as my BL SAS but the Bronco is more capable off road in stock form, not to mention it looks amazing and I can drop the top. If you are looking for an off roader straight from the factory then the Bronco feels like a no brainer between the two.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to off road the 4 runner, I feel like there are much better SUV options out there. Guess it depends on what you are looking for.

abisen

Badlands
First Name
Anand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would definitely consider 4Runner TRD Pro if a redesigned 4Runner is released/announced before I get my BL/Sasquatch/Lux with full time 4WD.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had my Bronco now for 8 months. After assessing what I want out of a vehicle and what I actually use it for, the 4Runner looks like an appealing alternative should I decide to sell the Bronco in the future. Is anyone else considering trading their Bronco for the next-gen 4Runner, whenever it comes out?
I say this in the most light-hearted way possible: what are you, nuts?! 😁

I can think of nothing the current or likely future 4Runner would have that would get me to consider buying it for even a second. First, the Bronco is way better looking. Since I love the look of the 2-door and it works for our needs, the 4Runner is a non-starter there. Toyota styling is questionable at best. More than likely, the next 4Runner will still be running on some very dated underpinnings. The Bronco has exceeded my expectations and I love the way it drives. That it lets my wife reminisce of the times she spent with her recently-departed dad in his Bronco when she was a kid is icing on the cake. :)

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've had my Bronco now for 8 months. After assessing what I want out of a vehicle and what I actually use it for, the 4Runner looks like an appealing alternative should I decide to sell the Bronco in the future. Is anyone else considering trading their Bronco for the next-gen 4Runner, whenever it comes out?
Nope. Top doesn't come off the 4Runner!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4Runner is a completely different use vehicle, so no. Now, if Toyota gets on the ball and makes a real replacement for the FJ in 4 or 5 years, then probably.

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
100% No.....not interested in boring vehicles. Life is too short to not enjoy your ride!
Since nothing works right on my Bronco, it’s become the most boring vehicle I’ve owned that I least enjoy.

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There's 2 types of 6G owners now, the ones that wanted a Bronco and the ones that wanted the shiny new thing. When the latter group moves on the community will be better.
Isn’t that the truth!

happy holidays TD

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am. In fact I am considering a current gen 2023 4runner for its reliability and simplicity. Looks are completely subjective; I think the TRD PROs look great. This Ford fanboy forum is likely not going to appreciate all things that a current or future gen 4runner has to offer. So much opposition for Toyota just in this one thread...seems pretty odd to me.

My interests have changed over the wait...as I've really got into wheeling locally with my Jeep, my interests have grown to include overlanding across the entire country. Given all posts on this and other G6 sites, this new Ford does not appear to be trustworthy to drive across the small state where I live let alone the country and expect service from another dealer. The 4runner, Landcruiser, or Lexus GX appear to fit the bill as "world vehicles" and will handle miles of driving without issue and have support to mod into a great overlanding vehicle. And as much as a MIC top makes it more overland useful, the Toyotas without removeable roofs become more practical.

If I was just looking for a convertible, some off road capability, something different, was a Ford fan, local putting around, I can see that the Bronco being a strong fit for a lot of people. We know lots love it and many have a "good one". I fit a few those criteria and that's why mine is on the way. But we'll see...I may love it too and attempt to make it work. If it starts to smell like a lemon, it will disappear and a new or old gen Toyota will arrive instead. More competition the better.

Sponsored

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would not trade a Bronco (if I owned one) for a 4Runner, but I am watching and waiting to see how the release timing and redesign features for the 4Runner compare to what the Bronco will have for feature combinations, availability, and quality at a point in time after the design of the next gen 4Runner becomes clear.

[Warning: rambling negativity]

Have been watching the Bronco since well before the reservations started up and fully expected that I would own one by now. Have the money saved up. But have not been able to talk myself into placing an order.

The biggest issue holding me back from placing an order is the various quality concerns with the top. I am not a convertible person and would be all in for a non-removable, metal, zero maintenance top. (Note: previously owned an MX-5 with a power retractable top that was fast, easy, no maintenance issues - but rarely put the top down, just ain't me.)

There are a number of other things I'd like to see changed for the Bronco and they all fall into the category of wanting to have more of an ala carte choice about combining features from different trim levels.

Along the way it has been very disappointing-to-scary how Ford has treated the reservation holders, and, how many dealerships have botched customer orders in some way, and the frequency with which the story/criteria/process for ordering seems to change. Not sure I would have the stomach to go through the ordering process - worrying about whether or not I had found and checked all the right forms, had a solid contract/purchase agreement, and had a dealership that could execute the order to obtain the specific features I was paying for.

So I've been waiting, and waiting, for things to improve... .. .

I do not _need_ a 4x4 but I want one. Ready to pay for one. Personally owned Ford pickup trucks for 30 years and would like to get back into that utilitarian (if I'm using the word correctly) look and feel. Am liking the design and features on the new Bronco. A Black Diamond would be perfect for me - not looking for extreme off road capability.

I'd rate the Bronco as superior in features over the current models of the 4Runner but am not ready to pull the trigger on a Bronco order. Meanwhile, am watching the news to see how the next gen 4Runner looks - this may take 3 or more years.

Have been coming to this forum since early on - before reservations I think - checking almost every day (or 3 times a day) and am starting to question whether it is wise for me to continue to expose myself to disappointment or whether I should 'drop out' for a few years and come back later.

Apologies for the negativity, ( and overuse of 'I' ) but I just need to vent.
Wanted and expected Ford to be doing better by now.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No removable doors.
No removable top.
NOPE. Not a competitor. That's just another SUV to me....!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Toyota designed a new 4Runner after the 1st gen with a 2 door, manual transmission, removable top, turbo engine, I would most definitely consider it.

I wouldn’t have a Bronco if it didnt come in a 2 Door, Manual, removable top.

I always wondered why they couldn‘t build a better 4runner. I had an 86 22re pickup, a 91 v6 runner, 95 Corolla and a couple of Toyota company cars and they were all solid.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the NexGen Toyota 4Runner makes all your ducks quack then sell your Bronco and get the flock out of here.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been considering a next-gen 4Runner since 90s and I'll probably be considering one but never purchase it for the next 30 years too.

MPGs aside (which are pathetic but the rather bulletproof drivetrain can excuse some of it)...

The major reason I would never make the switch is I simply cannot get comfortable in Toyotas, especially the 4Runner and Tacoma.

Speaking from someone with a 2010 Taco - The seat sits pretty low to the floor which pushes your knees up (I'm 6'1") and the steering wheel is hilariously close to the dash - and it seemingly only telescopes IN.

So if I adjust to where my legs are comfortable I am straining big time to reach the wheel and it causes all sorts of neck pain on longer trips. If I move up to where I can comfortably grab the wheel my knees are pushing into the dash and steering column.

It's like Toyota designed their vehicles for velociraptors or something.
Sponsored