Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Grab a cup of coffe for this one. This project has gone on for the past six weeks with a couple weather delays and engineering hurdles that required some thought. Overall, I'm satisfied with the outcome. I still need to do some extended run temperature tests in the compressor tray compartment, but it handled inflating four 33" tires from 18 to 39 psi without incident. I want to wait for a hot summer day to really give it a test.

Physical Mounting - This decision consumed hours of evaluating options. Honestly, there is no slam dunk decision for the Bronco. Lots of pros and cons all over the vehicle. I've never been a fan of underhood compressor mounts because of the hostile conditions. I also ruled out the under vehicle option because of similar concerns. I'm a big fan of stealth installs, so that left me with the storage tray under the rear floor. So I put on my engineering hat and got to work. I started with the ARB dual compressor. It obviously wouldn't fit as-is, so I started experimenting with mounting positions for the two separate pumps. I finally found a scenario that worked with a few extra parts from ARB. I had to chop the dual mounting bracket to provide the two separate rubber isolation mounts.

Electrical - I was able to reuse about 80% of the wiring kit that came with the dual compressor. I had to add 2x20ft 8 AWG wires plus a control wire for the relays. I could have reused the fuse holders, but I wanted something better. I had to fabricate a bracket for the fuse holder. The wires were routed down the driver's side frame rail and zip tied to the factory electrical loom ... fairly well protected and out of harms way. The water tight connectors were handy for the connection at the compressor tray. I used AUX 5 for the control switch. And I was able to reuse the pressure switch which cuts the control power to the relays at 150 psi.

Air Intake - Given that the compressor tray doesn't have any forced air cooling, I needed clean cool air from the cabin, so I had to use the filter relocation kit. In case I hit deep water, I wanted the intake as high as possible. I was able to find a place behind the rear trim panels that placed them 46" off the ground (one filter on each side of the vehicle). I had a little bit of luck on this one. Ford left a gap between three pieces of sheet metal that was just big enough to get the hose from the tray to the cabin. It looks like Ford installed a plastic "floor" in this dead space and used spray foam to seal it. I just used to step bit with an extension bar to drill through the plastic floor from below. Yes, if I need to replace the filters, I have to take off the rear trim but the cabin air source should be pretty clean. Btw, the empty space on the driver's side also makes a nice place to mount a cell phone signal booster.

Air Output - Options were kind of limited. I do a fair amount of trailering, so I wanted the air coupling near the back of the vehicle so I could easily reach the trailer tires. More for symmetry reasons, I decided to fill the gap next to the hitch (opposite the trailer electrical connections). I had to fabricate some aluminum brackets (2"x2" angle plus some 3/16" plate) and used one of the existing bumper bolts to attach it (i.e. no drilling in the frame). I'm not thrilled about having the air coupling that low, but I got the dust/water cap to try to keep it clean. I also set it back a little bit further than the electrical connections, hoping the hitch takes any physical abuse before something hits the air coupling.

ARB Parts List #1 (the common parts)
CKMTA12 - 12v Dual Compressor
171302 - Air inflation kit
171314 - Remote hose coupling kit x1
171319 - Air filter relocation kit x2
740113 – dust cap

ARB Parts List #2 (the special parts - ordered all through Summit Racing. The first two were special ordered from ARB but they only took a week to come in. Initial estimate was three months)
320224 - Short Manifold Tube x2
320214 - Manifold Cap x1
320301 - o-ring kit (only needed one o-ring for the second manifold cap, but had to buy a maintenance kit to get it)
740201 - 0.3M reinforced air hose x1 (air hose between the compressors)
740203 – 1M reinforced air hose x1 (air hose from the compressor to the bumper coupling)
740110 - 90 deg elbow JIC4 1/4" 2 pack x2

Physical Mounting:
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1242.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1199.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1195.JPG

Electrical:

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1243.JPG

Fabricated bracket for fuse holder:
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1193.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1203.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1198.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1201.JPG

Air Intake:
This is where the intake hose goes from the compressor tray into the cabin.
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor InkedIMG_1233_LI

Passenger side air intake
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor InkedIMG_1230_LI

Drivers side air intake with filter removed. Ignore the cell phone signal booster.
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor InkedIMG_1234_LI

Air Output:
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor InkedIMG_1239_LI

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1237.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1236.JPG

Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1240.JPG

Finished Product:
Ford Bronco ARB Compressor Stealth Install Fun @ Storage Tray Under Rear Floor IMG_1241.JPG
Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this is the installation I was hoping someone would do. thanks. I may try something like this.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

info about the cell phone booster tho......

Install looks fantastic though.

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love what you did! I'll be interested to see the results of more heat tests.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now do mine! =]

Sponsored

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent! Was planning on doing this same setup with my ARB single. Now I know things should fit fairly well

They Call Me Bacon

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Pony, 99 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Can you post the electrical parts, please?
- Main Relay and waterproof holder
- Waterproof connectors used
- Pressure switches
-Anything I missed

Also, can you add the dimensions or sources of the brackets:
- Custom fuse bracket
- Air coupler bracket at the hitch

Also very interested that the tray is removable, so whatever connections you have for that will be great.

Thank you so much for posting this, and thanks in advance for the rest!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Grab a cup of coffe for this one. This project has gone on for the past six weeks with a couple weather delays and engineering hurdles that required some thought. Overall, I'm satisfied with the outcome. I still need to do some extended run temperature tests in the compressor tray compartment, but it handled inflating four 33" tires from 18 to 39 psi without incident. I want to wait for a hot summer day to really give it a test.

Physical Mounting - This decision consumed hours of evaluating options. Honestly, there is no slam dunk decision for the Bronco. Lots of pros and cons all over the vehicle. I've never been a fan of underhood compressor mounts because of the hostile conditions. I also ruled out the under vehicle option because of similar concerns. I'm a big fan of stealth installs, so that left me with the storage tray under the rear floor. So I put on my engineering hat and got to work. I started with the ARB dual compressor. It obviously wouldn't fit as-is, so I started experimenting with mounting positions for the two separate pumps. I finally found a scenario that worked with a few extra parts from ARB. I had to chop the dual mounting bracket to provide the two separate rubber isolation mounts.

Electrical - I was able to reuse about 80% of the wiring kit that came with the dual compressor. I had to add 2x20ft 8 AWG wires plus a control wire for the relays. I could have reused the fuse holders, but I wanted something better. I had to fabricate a bracket for the fuse holder. The wires were routed down the driver's side frame rail and zip tied to the factory electrical loom ... fairly well protected and out of harms way. The water tight connectors were handy for the connection at the compressor tray. I used AUX 5 for the control switch. And I was able to reuse the pressure switch which cuts the control power to the relays at 150 psi.

Air Intake - Given that the compressor tray doesn't have any forced air cooling, I needed clean cool air from the cabin, so I had to use the filter relocation kit. In case I hit deep water, I wanted the intake as high as possible. I was able to find a place behind the rear trim panels that placed them 46" off the ground (one filter on each side of the vehicle). I had a little bit of luck on this one. Ford left a gap between three pieces of sheet metal that was just big enough to get the hose from the tray to the cabin. It looks like Ford installed a plastic "floor" in this dead space and used spray foam to seal it. I just used to step bit with an extension bar to drill through the plastic floor from below. Yes, if I need to replace the filters, I have to take off the rear trim but the cabin air source should be pretty clean. Btw, the empty space on the driver's side also makes a nice place to mount a cell phone signal booster.

Air Output - Options were kind of limited. I do a fair amount of trailering, so I wanted the air coupling near the back of the vehicle so I could easily reach the trailer tires. More for symmetry reasons, I decided to fill the gap next to the hitch (opposite the trailer electrical connections). I had to fabricate some aluminum brackets (2"x2" angle plus some 3/16" plate) and used one of the existing bumper bolts to attach it (i.e. no drilling in the frame). I'm not thrilled about having the air coupling that low, but I got the dust/water cap to try to keep it clean. I also set it back a little bit further than the electrical connections, hoping the hitch takes any physical abuse before something hits the air coupling.

ARB Parts List #1 (the common parts)
CKMTA12 - 12v Dual Compressor
171302 - Air inflation kit
171314 - Remote hose coupling kit x1
171319 - Air filter relocation kit x2
740113 – dust cap

ARB Parts List #2 (the special parts - ordered all through Summit Racing. The first two were special ordered from ARB but they only took a week to come in. Initial estimate was three months)
320224 - Short Manifold Tube x2
320214 - Manifold Cap x1
320301 - o-ring kit (only needed one o-ring for the second manifold cap, but had to buy a maintenance kit to get it)
740201 - 0.3M reinforced air hose x1 (air hose between the compressors)
740203 – 1M reinforced air hose x1 (air hose from the compressor to the bumper coupling)
740110 - 90 deg elbow JIC4 1/4" 2 pack x2

Physical Mounting:
IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

Electrical:

IMG_1243.JPG

Fabricated bracket for fuse holder:
IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

Air Intake:
This is where the intake hose goes from the compressor tray into the cabin.
InkedIMG_1233_LI.jpg

Passenger side air intake
InkedIMG_1230_LI.jpg

Drivers side air intake with filter removed. Ignore the cell phone signal booster.
InkedIMG_1234_LI.jpg

Air Output:
InkedIMG_1239_LI.jpg

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

Finished Product:
IMG_1241.JPG
Beautiful install, man! :love: I love your design, fab, and electrical work. đź‘Ť

Question: What did you do for cooling of the actual twin compressors?

I don’t see a fan anywhere, but maybe I missed it in the photos? One of the big advantages of the twin ARB is the 100% duty cycle afforded by the forced air cooling of the integrated fan. I realize the original fan, once the two compressors are decoupled to fit in the tray, would not fit without modification, but I don’t see it retrofitted or replaced with another cooling option. Thanks.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You mentioned pressure switch - where did you locate and how did you mount an air tank? Absolutely outstanding install! Hope you don't mind me reaching out - if and when my Bronco ever shows up.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Would you mind telling where you get the battery connectors? The bent down ones that look factory?

Sponsored
OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would you mind telling where you get the battery connectors? The bent down ones that look factory?
I just used an old 2 gauge battery cable and bent the connector down. I think I had to find an M10 bolt since Ford didn't include them for the two unused terminals.

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mentioned pressure switch - where did you locate and how did you mount an air tank? Absolutely outstanding install! Hope you don't mind me reaching out - if and when my Bronco ever shows up.
The pressure switch came with the dual compressor. I think the cutout PSI was 140. I didn't install an air tank, but I probably have room for a smallish one under the vehicle (under the rear seat). When I turn the compressor on, it takes about 5 seconds to pressurize the two small manifolds and 1 meter hose to 140 psi. When you get the Bronco feel free to reach out with more questions. Hope it's soon!

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful install, man! :love: I love your design, fab, and electrical work. đź‘Ť

Question: What did you do for cooling of the actual twin compressors?

I don’t see a fan anywhere, but maybe I missed it in the photos? One of the big advantages of the twin ARB is the 100% duty cycle afforded by the forced air cooling of the integrated fan. I realize the original fan, once the two compressors are decoupled to fit in the tray, would not fit without modification, but I don’t see it retrofitted or replaced with another cooling option. Thanks.
I held on to the fan that came with the dual kit, but I didn't install it. With some more mods to the storage tray, I could make it work, but I didn't want such a large exposed hole to the undercarriage. In a few more weeks, I should have some warmer weather to do some temperature testing. My initial logic was cool intake air combined with a little space between the two compressors should keep temps well below underhood temps. We'll see if that logic holds up after further testing.

OP
OP

allhorse

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Can you post the electrical parts, please?
- Main Relay and waterproof holder
- Waterproof connectors used
- Pressure switches
-Anything I missed

Also, can you add the dimensions or sources of the brackets:
- Custom fuse bracket
- Air coupler bracket at the hitch

Also very interested that the tray is removable, so whatever connections you have for that will be great.

Thank you so much for posting this, and thanks in advance for the rest!
The relays, waterproof connectors and pressure switch all came with the ARB wiring harness for the dual compressor. It even came with waterproof fuse holders, but I wanted a little bit of an upgrade, so I reached out Crutchfield for a dual 40A fuse kit. As for brackets, the fuse holder was just a 1" wide angle bracket that I cut down (sorry, can get the actual dimensions without taking it apart). The bracket at the hitch was two pieces - 2" aluminum angle iron bolted to a 3/16" thick aluminum plate. The angle iron gave the assembly some rigidity.