Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2nd time I see an under floor install of this one, interesting. I'd be a bit worried about dirt/mud/snow clogging things up, but I've never seen one of these in person, maybe it's not an issue.
I think I'll go with a portable Viair for my use, I live too far from trails not need a faster/always mounted solution. But interesting that ARB apparently faked that install, LOL.

Also curious to see what 4x4 will offer, I won't buy a compressor until early next year, so if I like what they do, I might just bite the bullet on the (overpriced IMO) ARB single, I think dual is just overkill for my scenario.

Looking forward to see the rest of your install, thanks for sharing!
I just picked up the Viair 400P on Amazon with credit card points. Seems like a well-reviewed portable option
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only holes in the Bronco are those small .25" holes for the mounting bolts. You only need 4 bolts, but I ended up doing 8 just for peace of mind. The kit only comes with 4, but I purchased 4 more bolts from Home Depot.

When you remove your rear floor by taking out the tie down points, you are left with 4 bolts holding down the plastic storage bin. Once you remove that, you are left with a giant hole through the floor pan, and you can see the frame and muffler from inside the Bronco. I used that to my advantage by installing all of the air compressor stuff in the plastic bin. Easy access and I can replace the bin down the road when I move this stuff to a different spot.

So the only permanent modification to the Bronco is 4 small quarter inch holes under the rear floor. I'm not worried about water or moisture getting in the cabin, because the rear pan (cargo floor) already has a huge hole in it for the cargo storage bin.

You could also pull up the rear seat flooring and mount it more in the center of the Bronco. I was happy with the location I chose because you only need three 1' sections of air hose and a few 90 degree fittings to make it all work. I always try to keep costs in check when I can, and I saved a substantial amount of money by doing it this way. Braided air hose is quite $$$ and adds up quick.
Slick. Very slick.

👏

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just picked up the Viair 400P on Amazon with credit card points. Seems like a well-reviewed portable option
Solid pick-up. The 400P is their lowest level compressor rated for 35" tires. Some have said the 300P will do the job, albeit slightly slower at the top end of the PSI spectrum for the larger wheels and require a short cool-down after 2 tires.

Ford Bronco ARB Dual Compressor stealth install - UPDATED. viair chart

For the minimal price difference of the two ($20), 400P is the way to go!

As shown in the other tread about under-slung ARB twins, it's not an ideal location and there are certainly under-hood locations that could work given time to fabricobble something together.

The ARB single is a nice compromise, however, it's not a self-cooled compressor so it can't be used in confined spaces and could have more issues with thermal load under-hood in hot environments.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here... 3D sample so you know we mean business. At this point we'll be in production in another week. I have to modify it for the 2.7L since there's more "crap" that will get in the way of the plate. So we need to shorten up the compressor mounting plate but at the same time NOT losing our mounting points for the actual compressor.

Ford Bronco ARB Dual Compressor stealth install - UPDATED. viair chart
Will this still work with the LUX (Insulated hood)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will this still work with the LUX (Insulated hood)
It very well should. Decent amount of room above the engine even with the lux sound deadening. I would only run it with the hood up, but I'm guessing everyone putting it here is probably putting the air chuck right next to it anyways, so hood will stay up.

I've been doing some thermal tests and the dual compressor gets hotter than a three peckered billy goat as is without the turbo right below it. Curious if we are going to see thermal cut off. Its a common problem with Jeep mounting locations as well.

Their mount is likely the best location under the hood unless someone comes out with a tray over the battery/fuse box, but that's a real PITA in its own way.

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Again we have a mounting system for the single and dual ARB compressors coming out soon. So there is light at the end of the tunnel :)
how soon?? By mid december so I can give my list to santa in time???

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The units are submersible, so water really isn't an issue unless you're trying to fill up in the middle of a river.

It's just personal preference. This debate is quite literally decades old. You can find posts on early Jeep forums about this.
First off nice install, however according to the ARB installation manual the compressor is not
rated to be submerged or exposed to road spray. Items 5 and 6 from page 3 of the installation manual. However with your mounting location and the height of your installation above ground level your exposure to water issues should be very limited in nature . Also the ARB web site states the compressor is water resistant not waterproof. My biggest concern is water damage over time to the electrical connection plugs, which are not sealed in any manner for the motor plugs and plugs for the relays and pressure switch located under the cover. The compressor motors if left submerged for an extended time would definitely have water ingress as where the motor leads enter the motor housing is a simple grommet.

Presently working to install a dual in the engine compartment of a 2.7L have the mount built and test fitted, presently prepping the mount to paint. Need to order some air line and fittings to complete. Do have concerns with possible heat issues, we shall see in time. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/arb-dual-compressor-installed-under-hood-2-7l.28068/

https://www.arb.com.au/air-compressors-tyre-accessories/

Ford Bronco ARB Dual Compressor stealth install - UPDATED. 1636686110391

Ford Bronco ARB Dual Compressor stealth install - UPDATED. ARB Compressor Mounting Location

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off nice install, however according to the ARB installation manual the compressor is not
rated to be submerged or exposed to road spray. Items 5 and 6 from page 3 of the installation manual. However with your mounting location and the height of your installation above ground level your exposure to water issues should be very limited in nature . Also the ARB web site states the compressor is water resistant not waterproof. My biggest concern is water damage over time to the electrical connection plugs, which are not sealed in any manner for the motor plugs and plugs for the relays and pressure switch located under the cover. The compressor motors if left submerged for an extended time would definitely have water ingress as where the motor leads enter the motor housing is a simple grommet.

Presently working to install a dual in the engine compartment of a 2.7L have the mount built and test fitted, presently prepping the mount to paint. Need to order some air line and fittings to complete. Do have concerns with possible heat issues, we shall see in time. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/arb-dual-compressor-installed-under-hood-2-7l.28068/

https://www.arb.com.au/air-compressors-tyre-accessories/

Ford Bronco ARB Dual Compressor stealth install - UPDATED. ARB Compressor Mounting Location

"Where An ARB CKM Series Compressor Is Mounted On A Vehicle And May Be Submersed During Water Crossings, This Kit Allows Relocation Of The Air Filter To Above The Waterline. This Kit Can Also Be Used Where The Compressor Is Mounted In Hot Or Dusty Environments, To Relocate The Air Filter To A Position That Allows Intake Of Cool, Clean Air.

CKM Series Compressor Air Filter Relocation "

Only their remote intake kits mention submersion.

To each their own, I say. This is the standard marketing blurb for the ARB intake relocation kit. I've been running ARB compressors forever in applications where they get completely wet or submerged. I wouldn't leave them there long term, but it's standard practice to use dielectric grease on any coupling under the truck to begin with. Or it is for me at least. The fans sometimes do give out but I've only had that happen once.

Submersion will never happen where it's located right now regardless. I'd lose a $60k vehicle for sure. There are unprotected OEM connectors located 6+ inches below the compressor as it is.

Everyone has their own risk comfort level, and mine is somewhere near 11.

I agree with the heat issues under the hood on the 2.7. There is a turbo on both sides just dumping out heat. I think it'll be fine for most people though. It's a common problem on Jeep installs as well and has been for years. The compressor has built in heat management, so it just slows ya down.

Make sure and share your install! Love reading how other people approach problems. Your install will be much easier, which makes me jealous.

I had to do my install with the Bronco on the ground do to logistical issues. As tall as Sasquatch is, it was still a bear to work on back near the diff.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used all Solder splice connectors that heat shrink on and form a water tight seal.

Here's an example. This was later covered in the wrap around wiring harness loom like everything else in the photo. The bottom loom is factory and I just followed it along for a bit.

There is the switch. Was my wording unclear or the photos? Either is completely believable - I coast through life as an inept person.
Ditch that factory jack and mount a 2 gal tank in 'er 👍🏻

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only holes in the Bronco are those small .25" holes for the mounting bolts. You only need 4 bolts, but I ended up doing 8 just for peace of mind. The kit only comes with 4, but I purchased 4 more bolts from Home Depot.

When you remove your rear floor by taking out the tie down points, you are left with 4 bolts holding down the plastic storage bin. Once you remove that, you are left with a giant hole through the floor pan, and you can see the frame and muffler from inside the Bronco. I used that to my advantage by installing all of the air compressor stuff in the plastic bin. Easy access and I can replace the bin down the road when I move this stuff to a different spot.

So the only permanent modification to the Bronco is 4 small quarter inch holes under the rear floor. I'm not worried about water or moisture getting in the cabin, because the rear pan (cargo floor) already has a huge hole in it for the cargo storage bin.

You could also pull up the rear seat flooring and mount it more in the center of the Bronco. I was happy with the location I chose because you only need three 1' sections of air hose and a few 90 degree fittings to make it all work. I always try to keep costs in check when I can, and I saved a substantial amount of money by doing it this way. Braided air hose is quite $$$ and adds up quick.
You mean, you could possibly fabricate a bigger/deeper bin to replace the factory plastic bin?
I need to study your pics a little more...
Sponsored