Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

“MTBF” or mean time between failure applies to all mechanical and electrical devices. It is the expected service life of a device. The more that starter cranks the sooner it’s gonna fail. So I’ll be turning it off.
Sponsored

LARELL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't like the idea of the engine shutting down at a stoplight. The ford focus I'm renting has this, and it drives me crazy. Why doesn't Ford make this an option? Because no one would want it.
I believe that they have this feature because otherwise the vehicle won't reach the minimum fuel efficiency requirement, at least that's what I read on jeep forums.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Couple of ways to turn off AS/S without spending $90 (geez those guys are laughing all the way to the bank).

Unplug the BMS connector by the negative battery terminal
Wait for Forscan to be able to work with the Bronco (it works for the '21 F-150 so it won't take long).

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Theres another way to bypass it at the battery. there is a circuit cant remember but its plugged into the battery terminal. Either way there are plenty of free / cheap options. its a PITA to keep hitting the dash button lol

Edit see post before mine....

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always wonder exactly what about it drives people nuts. Can you go in to more detail on that? I’ve only ridden in 1 vehicle that had it and after the first 1-2 times it just didn’t bother me.
I've never driven a vehicle with this feature. Is it really that bad?
In my opinion, 99% of it is just getting used to it. I actually like it now. Not just "it doesn't bother me" but actually like it. All vibrations stop, I can just enjoy a few seconds/minutes of peace while I sit there.

The only two issues it causes that are negatives, imo: when first getting used to it, if you're a "quick on the gas from the brake" person, it takes a second to get the engine fired back up and that's a pain. But you get used to it and most of the time you can anticipate when you're going to start moving and feather the brake out which will fire the engine.

The second issue is in hot weather, the A/C difference is noticeable and it can be annoying, especially when first cooling the vehicle. If you have the A/C on Max, it often won't stop the engine anyway.

In the end, people get really torqued about it, and I don't think it's necessary. It does, however, take getting used to.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've never driven a vehicle with this feature. Is it really that bad?
It's annoying. My biggest complaint is the AC turns nearly off when it engages too, so it can warm up pretty quick depending on the temperature

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a quick look in the Bronco owners manual starting on page 155 explains the auto stop/start system. This includes setting shut down time and manual override per key cycle.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone has mentioned that by getting into Forscan or whatever it's called, you can eliminate it.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always wonder exactly what about it drives people nuts. Can you go in to more detail on that? I’ve only ridden in 1 vehicle that had it and after the first 1-2 times it just didn’t bother me.
I'd be curious too, I've had it in many rentals here and in Europe, never bothered me for a second and they're engineered for way more starts than normal, so not concerned about any of the starter components to blow crazy early. Maybe I'm missing some concern? I'm sure I'll never ever touch that button though.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2020 F150 with Auto stop
When the engine shuts off at a stop....simply release the brake pedal and the engine will start again.... Then hold brake again
And it wont turn off again during that trip
I have never used the button
Hopefully this helps

OP
OP

Ilmguy1234

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2020 F150 with Auto stop
When the engine shuts off at a stop....simply release the brake pedal and the engine will start again.... Then hold brake again
And it wont turn off again during that trip
I have never used the button
Hopefully this helps
I like this. Thanks

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

“MTBF” or mean time between failure applies to all mechanical and electrical devices. It is the expected service life of a device. The more that starter cranks the sooner it’s gonna fail. So I’ll be turning it off.
Christ! I'm here to forget about work and I see this. AWESOME!! LOL. What industry do you work in?

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I will likely also want to disable this. Never had it in a car but it sounds annoying. That said, i imagine it exists to improve fuel economy at idle. How much might disabling it affect mpg for city driving?
Sponsored