First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally do not hate it, but mechanically I distrust it.... I would like to keep oil flowing through my turbos even while sitting at a stop light... I know Ford put it there and the motor will be fine. I call BS.... Ford put it there trying their best to look good to the government CAFE requirements... even though Trucks and SUVs do not count in the CAFE numbers.... That is why all the manufacturers are completely eliminating the manufacture of cars and making SUVs and trucks only, it is a loop hole.... but I digress and am getting off point.... I want oil flowing in my turbos, having worked as a mechanic, although long ago, I believe they will stay cooler and last longer.
Coolant flows through turbos after shutdown for the past several decades. This was learned in the '80s.

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it fascinating that auto start-stop bothers people so much that they would spend time and money trying to disable it. But I support people's right to spend money on something that will continually cost them more money. 😁

Depending on the mix of city/highway driving, one can expect to save up to 7% on fuel. The average is more like 2-4% for most people. In terms of the tech and equipment required to implement it, I doubt it's really worth the trouble, but since my vehicle has it, I'm going to use it. If it was an option, I wouldn't have checked the box, because the cost probably would have had a 10-year break-even on it.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Oil flows through turbos after shutdown for the past several decades. This was learned in the '80s.
Okay... Like I said I was a mechanic a long time ago.... Teach me.... Help me understand.

I know the newest gen 2.7 oil pump is a wet belt drive. If the motor is not spinning how does the oil pump continue running? If the oil pump is not running how is oil fed to the turbos?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think my auto stop eliminator was perhaps the best investment I made initially...however, I just installed the Performance Tune, and I no longer need the auto stop elimimator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I find it fascinating that auto start-stop bothers people so much that they would spend time and money trying to disable it. But I support people's right to spend money on something that will continually cost them more money. 😁

Depending on the mix of city/highway driving, one can expect to save up to 7% on fuel. The average is more like 2-4% for most people. In terms of the tech and equipment required to implement it, I doubt it's really worth the trouble, but since my vehicle has it, I'm going to use it. If it was an option, I wouldn't have checked the box, because the cost probably would have had a 10-year break-even on it.
I find it fascinating that people actually think saving a non measurable about of fuel is more important then a functioning starter.

It wasn't until i started tuning my own engine in my Mustang that i realized just how little fuel is actually used during idle conditions. When figuring the amount of time one would sit at a stop light and the fact that most engines start up with a rich mixture especially on a forced induction engine the amount of fuel saved is a bust. The only thing you have managed to do is put more stress and wear and tear on expensive parts.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it fascinating that people actually think saving a non measurable about of fuel is more important then a functioning starter.

It wasn't until i started tuning my own engine in my Mustang that i realized just how little fuel is actually used during idle conditions. When figuring the amount of time one would sit at a stop light and the fact that most engines start up with a rich mixture especially on a forced induction engine the amount of fuel saved is a bust. The only thing you have managed to do is put more stress and wear and tear on expensive parts.
None of that is how it works. First, the starters are upgraded for the extra duty. So you’re actually getting a better starter than you would have. Second, testing has been done that shows you save fuel after an average of less than 6 seconds if idling. But that is beside the point that I made that I wouldn’t have paid for auto start-stop if I had the choice, but I’m certainly going to take advantage of the incremental savings it brings. 4% (average) isn’t going to make a car payment, but I’ll take the $75/year. I don’t spite myself. 😁

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay... Like I said I was a mechanic a long time ago.... Teach me.... Help me understand.

I know the newest gen 2.7 oil pump is a wet belt drive. If the motor is not spinning how does the oil pump continue running? If the oil pump is not running how is oil fed to the turbos?
Not sure where my brain was. I meant to say coolant, not oil.

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
None of that is how it works. First, the starters are upgraded for the extra duty. So you’re actually getting a better starter than you would have. Second, testing has been done that shows you save fuel after an average of less than 6 seconds if idling. But that is beside the point that I made that I wouldn’t have paid for auto start-stop if I had the choice, but I’m certainly going to take advantage of the incremental savings it brings. 4% (average) isn’t going to make a car payment, but I’ll take the $75/year. I don’t spite myself. 😁
The parts that make the starter "heavy duty" are NOT the parts that wear during operation.
heavy duty just has heaver gauge windings and wire = more cost to replace
Do you know what the price for a new starter is ? the fuel savings just do not add up

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The parts that make the starter "heavy duty" are NOT the parts that wear during operation.
heavy duty just has heaver gauge windings and wire = more cost to replace
Do you know what the price for a new starter is ? the fuel savings just do not add up
So Ford made the starter and battery heavy duty specifically for auto start-stop but somehow they upgraded they made are useless?

And to your question, no I have no idea what a starter costs. The last one I replaced was for a project built in the ‘60s. I’ve never had one fail on a daily driver. Our F150, now driven by one of my children, is approaching 20 years old, so maybe that will be the first.

Sponsored

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So Ford made the starter and battery heavy-duty specifically for auto start-stop but somehow the upgraded they made are useless?

And to your question, no I have no idea what a starter costs. The last one I replaced was for a project built in the ‘60s. I’ve never had one fail on a daily driver. Our F150, now driven by one of my children, is approaching 20 years old, so maybe that will be the first.
Bearings, brushes, and the armature are your wear parts in a starter. They're not the "heavy-duty" parts
Heavy-duty batteries.......what a joke, You are doing good if you can get a battery to last 5 years nowadays
The starter motor runs about $300.00 from Ford plus tax and labor to install. Dont forget the tow because it's not going to die at the repair shop ;)
Extra load on the alternator after every restart as well as shortened turbocharger life due to oil flow stopping before the turbo stops spinning all of those extra times 😦
If you like the auto start use it, but I don't think you're saving $ in the long run

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Not sure where my brain was. I meant to say coolant, not oil.
The more I am reading I think you are correct on the oil.... Supposedly there is an axillary oil pump that continues feeding oil even after shut down although at a slower rate eliminating the need for cool down.

Prior to this the only turbos I have ever worked on were designed in the 40's and 50's feeding V16 and V20 diesel hybreds..... (locomotives..... moved from automotive to locomotives in the mid 80's while I worked my way through school)... Those things would redline at 800 to 1000 RPM...

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The more I am reading I think you are correct on the oil.... Supposedly there is an axillary oil pump that continues feeding oil even after shut down although at a slower rate eliminating the need for cool down.

Prior to this the only turbos I have ever worked on were designed in the 40's and 50's feeding V16 and V20 diesel hybreds..... (locomotives..... moved from automotive to locomotives in the mid 80's while I worked my way through school)... Those things would redline at 800 to 1000 RPM...
Okay I am finding the axillary coolant pump and the axillary trans oil pump but struggling to find an axillary oil pump.... So far I have only found two references to an Axillary oil pump... Lots of info and part numbers on the other two.

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everyone keeps acting like since they have had no issues with ASS, that they never will. Like I mentioned earlier, I never cared for it but had stopped pushing the button for hundreds of starts because it seemed to work 100%... and then I ended up stuck in the middle of the road for 10 minutes, blocking traffic at night and could not get it to start back up holding brake down with fob in cup holders, reading all the display messages, hitting Start several dozen times and also trying to shift into Drive, etc to confirm it was not started and engine stopped, etc.. Everyone on here said "you have something else wrong..." or "you must have been doing something wrong". but no matter what if the engine never stops I never have an issue not being able to restart in the middle of the road.

I am 100% positive that I did everything properly and I have not had any issues since, and I have not pushed the button 2-3 times when on backroads on Saturday mornings, etc to see if I can get it to fail again. It must have been some kind of combo with me hitting hazard lights, putting it in Park and walking 40 yards away from my Bronco(with fob in my pocket) to talk about a stuck semi-truck problem with someone, but everyone will think it works perfect in their Bronco until something happens to them. For me, I am just going to keep hitting the disable button until my warranty expires or a software update comes out that allows it to be disabled through Forscan on the newer Badlands.

Last edited: