First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who is actually putting their money where their mouth is and getting a base model? Count me in! 2-door, base, 7 speed, and sasquatch of course. Going for cactus grey, I am in AZ after all! I will add aux switches if available. Nothing else I really need, I'll go aftermarket!
After going through the build and price, i have came to the conclusion that the base is the only one resembling a deal. I am going with a base velocity blue, sasquatch, 2.7, and modular bumpers. What else does one actually need?
Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've gone back and forth. I reserved the base. I told myself I can add on from there. But then I like wash out interior option so I looked at Black Diamond. I'm still in between. I would like it if Ford could show prices for all these accessories they hyped up. Like if I want to get a base and add on a different grill, upgrade the lights, put a lift, how much is that going to cost me? I don't need sasquatch but 33s would be cool.

As of now it's either base and engine upgrade and hard top, big bend with lights and engine upgrade, or black diamond with engine upgrade.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After going through the build and price, i have came to the conclusion that the base is the only one resembling a deal. I am going with a base velocity blue, sasquatch, 2.7, and modular bumpers. What else does one actually need?
I would add the Aux switches. For $195 you can't beat the price and then everything is all ready to go, just plug n play and no fishing wires through the firewall later.

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Questions for you guys: with the stock A/S tires on the Base, do those even have a chance at doing light off-road duty? Definitely not gonna be hardcore off-roading but I don't want it completely on-road only for the tires. Not going Squatch, but have seen mention here of folks looking to put 32s on their Bases - will that require a lift? Spacers?

Thx in advance!

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only luxury item on my current car is vintage A/C that I added, doesn't even have a radio. The Wrangler I had before that didn't have A/C, power windows, or any screens of any size. The Bronco base might just be my most luxurious vehicle.
My wife, now that is a completely different story...

Sponsored

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Questions for you guys: with the stock A/S tires on the Base, do those even have a chance at doing light off-road duty? Definitely not gonna be hardcore off-roading but I don't want it completely on-road only for the tires. Not going Squatch, but have seen mention here of folks looking to put 32s on their Bases - will that require a lift? Spacers?

Thx in advance!
I feel like the non SQ base tires/wheels are almost meant to be take offs. The tires from Big Bend & Black Diamond 32's will fit on the base.

Tires on 17" rim
Big Bend: H 32.06" x W 10.04"
Black Dia: H 31.61" x W 10.43

The million dollar question is will 285 70 r17 fit? base 3.73 gearing is probably not best for this.

However, I was thinking about the odd size of: 275 70 r17. This tire has a height of 32.16"x 10.83". Which is basically the same as stock Big Bend. I would guess 3.73 gears would be okay with this tire.

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I feel like the non SQ base tires/wheels are almost meant to be take offs. The tires from Big Bend & Black Diamond 32's will fit on the base.

Tires on 17" rim

The million dollar question is will 285 70 r17 fit? base 3.73 gearing is probably not best for this.

However, I was thinking about the odd size of: 275 70 r17. This tire has a height of 32.16"x 10.83". Which is basically the same as stock Big Bend. I would guess 3.73 gears would be okay with this tire.
Appreciate that. I actually really like the stock Black Diamond tires much more then either the Base or Big Bend stock, so I guess I'd potentially get some 17" rims and the General ATX. Hell, I like the Black Diamond steelies too, for that matter.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you like steelies, no need to switch to 17's. There are lots of 16 inch tires that should work great on the stock wheels . A 265 75 x16 is about 32" and available in any tread pattern you could imagine. And should be fine with the 3.73's

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you like steelies, no need to switch to 17's. There are lots of 16 inch tires that should work great on the stock wheels . A 265 75 x16 is about 32" and available in any tread pattern you could imagine. And should be fine with the 3.73's
Ahh, even better, thx. I'm likely going the route of Base with better 32s with the plan to build out my ride along the way.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ahh, even better, thx. I'm likely going the route of Base with better 32s with the plan to build out my ride along the way.
I love 16" rims, tire choice is almost endless. If I could get a rear locker on the Base I'd do the same thing.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Tires on 17" rim

According to Build & Price, the 4cyl base comes with 4.46 diff gears. Seems better gearing for those who might install larger diameter tires?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

According to Build & Price, the 4cyl base comes with 4.46 diff gears. Seems better gearing for those who might install larger diameter tires?
Yes, but that's only with the 7 spd, with the 10 spd Auto it gets 3.73's. If it only was available with the 4.27 rear locker!!!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, but that's only with the 7 spd, with the 10 spd Auto it gets 3.73's. If it only was available with the 4.27 rear locker!!!
Right, the 4.46 diff gearing requires 4cyl and manual trans. I am puzzled by that 4.46 gearing, and wonder if it is a mistake. Reason being - that seems high for a vehicle with 30" tires.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right, the 4.46 diff gearing requires 4cyl and manual trans. I am puzzled by that 4.46 gearing, and wonder if it is a mistake. Reason being - that seems high for a vehicle with 30" tires.
They're using the same gears up to 32".

7M Non Sasquatch Base sales will be a lot smaller than any one of the upper trims alone.

Better to have the gears a little deep on the least selling model , than doggy on the rest.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They're using the same gears up to 32".

7M Non Sasquatch Base sales will be a lot smaller than any one of the upper trims alone.

Better to have the gears a little deep on the least selling model , than doggy on the rest.
Yeah, but the 4.46's will make the MT Base a great rig for those wanting to start from scratch and build their own custom rig. Now, if they were a locker...

There have been comments by some here who seem to be in the know that the ring gear may be welded to the carrier. True? And if so this would preclude simple installation of a "lunchbox" locker, Right?

BTW, I read the original review of the LA Lockright "lunchbox" locker back in the 80's. It was actually called a "lunch time" locker due to the easy installation, less than an hour, but somehow has become known as the "lunchbox" locker.
Sponsored

Last edited: