First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good so far, love to see the 3D printed prototype as that is what I do for a hobby. About what others have mentioned concerning branding and the logo on the snorkel, if branding is necessary I would prefer it say "Mishimoto" rather than "Borne Off Road".
Thanks for you input! I'll pass that along!

I hope the install is relatively straight forward. Also hope in testing, the mounting of the snorkel is tested extensively.
That's the plan! Since this install requires cutting into the fender we want to ensure that it's still a painless process

I just realized, we gotta cut a hole in our brand new trucks donā€™t we?
That is correct. We're planning to include a cutting template to take any guesswork out of the equation.

For some of our past snorkels, we routed through the side fender vents to minimize cutting, but we, unfortunately, didn't have that option this time around

Itā€™d be cool if this was compatible with the GOBI rack. https://www.gobiracks.com/product/ford-bronco-stealth-rack/
It's tough to tell from the photos, but it looks like this rack is using the same mounting points that we're planning on using. There's a chance that you'd be able to stack the brackets to install both. Otherwise it looks like there'll be plenty of clearance between that front support and our snorkel tube.

Will this be compatible with aftermarket air intakes?
Yup! We have an adaptor for the stock airbox that should work with other airboxes that are in a similar configuration. We also have an adaptor that's specific to our airbox design that takes the place of the polycarbonate lid

-Nick
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Guys!

Just bumping this thread with another update as we progress through the development of this project! Make sure that you head over to the Engineering Blog to get the full scoop!

-Nick
I see what you did there :D

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's tough to tell from the photos, but it looks like this rack is using the same mounting points that we're planning on using. There's a chance that you'd be able to stack the brackets to install both. Otherwise it looks like there'll be plenty of clearance between that front support and our snorkel tube.
Nice! Mounting point is flat enough for stacking. My concern really is the clearance issue. Here are a couple more shots showing how far out the front support is.
Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread 8F9B7740-68DF-46CC-A22D-77129A6A1F68
Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread F2BD5791-1220-4464-815F-CDE138920515

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice! Mounting point is flat enough for stacking. My concern really is the clearance issue. Here are a couple more shots showing how far out the front support is.
Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread F2BD5791-1220-4464-815F-CDE138920515
I was just chatting with Ye about this, and clearance from that bar shouldn't be an issue, this photos is from our second design after moving the snorkel tube back a smidge:

IMG_6229-scaled-1.jpg

I'll grab measurements once we have the production sample in the shop and installed

-Nick

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to think the same as you in 99% of the vehicles I see with a snorkel on it. But if you've looked at any of the threads that show the Broncos air breather after driving through a couple puddles you'll see that water gets in the air box extremely easy and warps the filter.... So in this case installing something, anything, they can help prevent water from getting to the air filter might desperately be needed.
ā€œDesperatelyā€?

Iā€™ve pushed water up to the hood of my CJ3A without any air cleaner issues. Small block Chevy powered, with Holley 4B and ā€œopenā€ (non-shrouded) air cleaner. The fan blades destroyed the back side of the radiator, but no air cleaner/water issuesā€¦..

Edit: In all fairness, perhaps I an a functional off-Roadeo rather than a sport off-Roader.

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

ā€œDesperatelyā€?

Iā€™ve pushed water up to the hood of my CJ3A without any air cleaner issues. Small block Chevy powered, with Holley 4B and ā€œopenā€ (non-shrouded) air cleaner. The fan blades destroyed the back side of the radiator, but no air cleaner/water issuesā€¦..

Edit: In all fairness, perhaps I an a functional off-Roadeo rather than a sport off-Roader.
Talking about the new Ford Bronco...the air filter is a water magnet.

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just chatting with Ye about this, and clearance from that bar shouldn't be an issue, this photos is from our second design after moving the snorkel tube back a smidge:

Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread NTR_9899

I'll grab measurements once we have the production sample in the shop and installed

-Nick
ohh.. I would hope you are able to tuck that closer to the window pillar... otherwise it will make an blind spot where one is not desired...

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ohh.. I would hope you are able to tuck that closer to the window pillar... otherwise it will make an blind spot where one is not desired...
So, because of the way the Bronco is designed, any snorkel routing over the mirror arm will be visible from the driver's seat and create an obstruction. While we always aim to avoid creating a blind spot with our snorkel designs, it's unfortunately inevitable without some serious modification

As for the gap, there's also a method behind this. While snorkels aren't designed as performance additions, or, well, they're aimed at a different type of performance, we don't want to detract from the Bronco's airflow, which entails keeping a large cross-sectional area while reducing the number of curves and bends in the system, like hurdling over the mirror arm.

Now, with all of that said, we did make some adjustments to our final design since, admittedly, we weren't too keep on such a large gap either, and moved it closer to the A-pillar. I'll have more on the final product later this month!

-Nick

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, because of the way the Bronco is designed, any snorkel routing over the mirror arm will be visible from the driver's seat and create an obstruction. While we always aim to avoid creating a blind spot with our snorkel designs, it's unfortunately inevitable without some serious modification

As for the gap, there's also a method behind this. While snorkels aren't designed as performance additions, or, well, they're aimed at a different type of performance, we don't want to detract from the Bronco's airflow, which entails keeping a large cross-sectional area while reducing the number of curves and bends in the system, like hurdling over the mirror arm.

Now, with all of that said, we did make some adjustments to our final design since, admittedly, we weren't too keep on such a large gap either, and moved it closer to the A-pillar. I'll have more on the final product later this month!

-Nick
I cannot wait. I will be the first ones to buy this for my 2.7. I do have a GOBI rack, do you think this will be compatible with it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cannot wait. I will be the first ones to buy this for my 2.7. I do have a GOBI rack, do you think this will be compatible with it?
We don't anticipate any interference with the rack. We did adjust the the snorkel tube's placement, but there's still space for the rack. The rack does use the same mounting point on the upper cowl, so you'll either have to stack the brackets or, in the worst case, need a custom bracket for the snorkel

-Nick

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe you could offer a shorter version. I know it doesn't look as good for the mall crawling, but for water, it just needs to be a bit higher than the hood (maybe side mirror level). If I've driven my Bronco to the point water is up to the windshield I've made some seriously bad choices :sneaky:

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to give this thread a quick bump with a couple of new photos I grabbed of our production sample the other day:

Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread NT6_9338

And here's what you see from the driver's seat:

Ford Bronco Borne Off-Road Snorkel R&D Thread NT6_9325

More to come soon!

-Nick

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking much better as you guys get closer to production.

FatRat250

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Squatch Lux Hot Pepper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree 100%. With Bronco accessory prices as high as they are, products should be clean and smooth. If you want me to advertise, sponsor my rig or discount the parts.
So, your jacket, shirt, shoes, car, cereal, beer, tv, glasses, wax, milk, soda, vitamins, tires, butter, and almost everything you own, eat and use is devoid of logos?

iā€™m not a huge fan of logos either and to each his own, but many people want a logo to show itā€™s a certain or quality item, and you canā€™t fault a manufacturer for wanting to get credit for the items they manufacture. Hell, on many items people pay extra just for the logo! Word of mouth is one thing but unless you wait around for the guy to return to his bronco in the parking lot to ask him about his snorkel, a ā€˜logo-lessā€™ item isnā€™t going to generate much ā€˜buzzā€™. Admittedly this logo could be a bit more discrete, and I donā€™t care for the name ā€˜borne off roadā€™, but since they made it they can put whatever they want on it. Itā€™s up to me to decide whether or not I want it on my truck. Itā€™s nice to see manufacturers showing up to make accessories for the bronco, and Iā€™m sure there will be many more, and likely they will all have logos.

As for born off road, thanks for giving us all another option to consider while outfitting our rigs.
Sponsored

Last edited: