Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These guys just drove it from Tahoe to Moab with less than 2000 miles on it.

And they will be scrapped when all the testing is done, so that's no indication of what's best for long term wear.
Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
All I know is what I was told in the 60's and 70's was to "break a car in the way you want it to run". So with every new car that I got the first thing I did was find an interstate and red line it in every gear and peg it at 130. And the car always ran like a raped ape. ? On the other hand, my friend broke his in according to the manual and his car would run like a dog. ? But maybe car engines are different now.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't baby new engines and I build race motors including 16,500 rpm superbike engines. That being said, rpm's aren't the key to breakin. Engine load is. Lots of go pedal at low to mid rpm builds the cylinder pressure that will produce the best power and fuel economy. Another less talked about aspect is loong deceleration events from medium high rpm to low rpm to produce high negative pressures in the motor.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All I know is what I was told in the 60's and 70's was to "break a car in the way you want it to run". So with every new car that I got the first thing I did was find an interstate and red line it in every gear and peg it at 130. And the car always ran like a raped ape. ? On the other hand, my friend broke his in according to the manual and his car would run like a dog. ? But maybe car engines are different now.

You definitely don't want to let a brand new engine idle at first start up, but I wouldn't red line it either. I don't know how new factory engines are tested at the factory. Rings can seat pretty quick on new engines, so most of that may already be done by the time it goes into the vehicle.

I just think of the things that get really hot when new that won't be as hot when broken in, like hypoid gears, and try to treat them well in the beginning because I know I'll abuse them later.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Break it in how you intend to use it. If there's a defect with your new vehicle, you want to find it in my opinion. I work in an engine assembly plant and we run the engines on our dynos harder than 99.9% of customers ever will. Easy break in is a myth with modern machining and assembly processes.

Just my .02

Sponsored

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think in the corvette the computer limits its HP to half until the break in period then after that period computer releases the top end speed and full HP output

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So basically, if we decide to buy out of state we could come home via some side roads as well as interstate. Just take it somewhat easy and mix it up. All should be good.

Would it be a mistake to throw 37s on before the trip?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
For what it's worth, here is from the user manual, for my wife's 2020 Kia Soul:

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm) between 2,000 and 4,000.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles of operation.
Don't know if all that applies to other makes of vehicles or the new Bronco.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So basically, if we decide to buy out of state we could come home via some side roads as well as interstate. Just take it somewhat easy and mix it up. All should be good.

Would it be a mistake to throw 37s on before the trip?
Yeah, just drive it. Side roads would be good. The motor will eventually break in. I would wait to put the 37's on.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bought a brand new Toyota in 09 and drove it 6hrs home on the highway.. it's currently at 165k mi and still no issues.. no joke it still drives like new. I did make stops here and there and also very speed on the highway home though. I also did an oil change at 2k and another at 5k(fully synthetic from there on). I'm likely switching to Granger and making another long road trip home for my deal. With the tight tolerance of modern machining these days I think It'll be ok for me and my toyota is my evidence lol.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it's worth, here is from the user manual, for my wife's 2020 Kia Soul:

No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 600 miles you may add to the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm) between 2,000 and 4,000.
  • Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
  • Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
  • Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles of operation.
Don't know if all that applies to other makes of vehicles or the new Bronco.
Owner Manual: No special break-in period is needed

Also the Owner’s Manual: Here’s how you break-in the engine properly...

???

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@attworth in post #15 basically spells out what the break in will be at least for the 2.3l. I couldn't imagine thinking I'm more knowledgeable than the engineers who designed and built this engine. ?‍♂

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's 2020, just beat the stuff out of it. No break in oil, no waiting for engine oil to heat up unless you're in freezing temps. Check the manual.
Are you sure that no break in oil is used? I have bought and owned many Honda/Acura vehicles over the last 20 yrs and they do have a special break in oil that is recommended not to be changed for as long as possible for the first oil change. Honda’s only caveat with break in procedures is just not to tow any trailers for the first 1,000 miles. I’ll have to research Ford’s recommendations

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had my dealer forget to put oil back in during an oil change. I noticed it right away at least.
I had a friend with a garage who did 3 or 4 engines a year under contract with a quick oil change chain. No matter how many reminders and checklists there are, I guess it can still happen. I'm glad you caught yours in time.
Sponsored