Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video, as we see Matt engineer various solutions to an almost intractable situation. I admire his candor and professionalism--he sure seemed tired, but not defeated, towards the end.

I wonder why they let that Porsche join the group. I could tell from simple amateur observation it was not engineered for that type of off-roading.

But I was extremely impressed with the WT's performance, both by driver and truck. Jeffe obviously paid attention to the others' fail points, and knew only that an absolute all-out approach would work. And it did!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is the video where they gave the Bronco to Jefe, and then BroncBusters came and installed a bunch of stuff to help with rubbing with the tires Jefe added.

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just watched this and was convinced the Bronco was gonna struggle. Call me wrong and very impressed. My 2.3 manual would not likely do as well, but with some work and the performance tune, maybe.

The rest of the video was pretty much a hot mess start to finish. Honestly, my perspective; a bit disappointed. So many little fixable things wrong with the vehicles, and the SWAE Porsche was 100% not in its element. I guess it's impressive they made it, but they spent the entire day going up that obstacle, which is no small effort.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CalvinT

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought the Wildtrack was mostly stock until watching the above video. But it still makes me wonder how my Badlands (2.3, manual) would do. But I didn't buy it for sand or rock crawling.

Mikerkelly

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At the 6:20 mark in this video about the build he is clearly running 37s, which to me means he has some form of lift.

To me that's not stock and a misleading statement. However.......compared to the wrecker/banana/morvair it might as well be considered stock, lol.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Another good example of the advantage of an auto trans…Bronco in it's element high speed desert/sand/dirt…

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video, as we see Matt engineer various solutions to an almost intractable situation. I admire his candor and professionalism--he sure seemed tired, but not defeated, towards the end.

I wonder why they let that Porsche join the group. I could tell from simple amateur observation it was not engineered for that type of off-roading.

But I was extremely impressed with the WT's performance, both by driver and truck. Jeffe obviously paid attention to the others' fail points, and knew only that an absolute all-out approach would work. And it did!
They thought that the rest of the vehicles would comfortably make it up the hill and they could tow the Porsche up if needed. Then the Wrecker took a dump. Then the Banana fried the alternator. Then it was just up to the MORRvair which couldn’t dead pull the Porsche (I wouldn’t trust that Porsche to take me to the grocery store, let alone off-roading).

Like most disasters it’s not one thing, it’s a bunch of little things.

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They thought that the rest of the vehicles would comfortably make it up the hill and they could tow the Porsche up if needed. Then the Wrecker took a dump. Then the Banana fried the alternator. Then it was just up to the MORRvair which couldn’t dead pull the Porsche (I wouldn’t trust that Porsche to take me to the grocery store, let alone off-roading).

Like most disasters it’s not one thing, it’s a bunch of little things.
And to think they're expert field mechanics. My guess is, Matt and crew have jury rigged so many vehicles in so many situations, they assumed they could handle whatever this sand hill could have, and they finally encountered an obstacle that exceeded their skill set (almost).

A major mistake #1 was bringing the Porsche. Mistake #2 was, after seeing the wrecker fail and abandoning it (for now), they put the Porsche in between two capable vehicles: the Morvair and the Bronco. They should have saved the Porsche for last.

I wonder how and when they got the wrecker up. Great, very honest video, with lots of lessons for everybody.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the beginning he stated that his Bronco was basically stock, but I swear they did a lift and larger tires on it in a previous video.

It was nice to see it did well, also would have liked to know if he used baja mode or just put his locker on. Based on previous videos, he doesn't seem to really know much about the Bronco...guess he's not a member here :)
He did a body lift and more on a Bronco he gave to one of his employees, but may not be same Bronco.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I actually liked this video as one of my top MORR ones. To see them faced with some real life "bad choices" and sort it out was a good time (to watch)

I have nothing against the Porche..they wanted to see what it could do..no big.

I do think they made 2 huge mistakes though..

1) they knew the wrecker had no lockers..he should have known better.

2) as soon as it was obvious that the wrecker wasn't going to just crawl up that hill, he should have shut it down instead of trashing the trail for everyone else.

I look forward to what will hopefully be a Wrecker recovery video.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
They called out a body lift, but the shocks don't look stock, so some other lift as well, it seems. None of that really had anything to do with the problem at hand, though. Getting through sand like that needs torque and power to keep the wheel speed up as you gain mph. All the vehicles that struggled did so because they shifted into a higher gear, wheel speed dropped, and the engine didn't have enough torque to get the speed back up in that gear. That didn't happen for the Bronco, likely helped by a 10-speed transmission and closer ratios, oh, and twin turbos.
So yeah, it may have had a lift, but that doesn't play a lot here. Stock that fits 35's which are plenty big to give flotation.

It's clear from the video that Matt expected his big rig to have no problem on the sand dune and be the vehicle that pulled everyone out. When that didn't happen, then all bets were off, and he knew it, you could see it on his face. Then it was just finding what could get the furthest up. I don't think he expected the Bronco would be able to beat his special-built machines so he didn't have it go first. Remember, he's pulled a number of Broncos out of the sand and rocks already by this point. So he didn't have that go first.
Sponsored