First Name
Tobin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
PM Swayback works with the 35" spare but you'll still have to unload it to open the gate. Kuat makes a swing-away adapter called the Pivot that clears the 35" spare without having to use an extension and it works great. It cinches up tight within the receiver so no movement or rattling. With that said, it's rated for 250lbs. Two Yeti coolers fully loaded with ice won't weigh over 200lbs.

I use this with a UWS aluminum cargo carrier that can be had for ~$250. It's not as wide as the Pakmule but has the same weight capacity of 500lbs. Yes, Pakmule comes with this magical hitch pin that cinches the carrier down and eliminates movement/rattling. That magical hitch pin can be had through Amazon to work on any stinger. The Pakmule is going to be superior to just about any other carrier on the market. If I could pick without money being an issue, that's what I'd have.

Lastly, the tongue weight of the Bronco is 350lbs. So if you think you're going to load up a carrier with 500lbs of gear (what could you possibly need to put back there that weighs that much?) then you'll be exceeding that by 150lbs.

InkedBronco_LI.jpg

Last edited:

ChathamShark

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2021, ’20 & ’15 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m probably going to buy the Pakmule Swayback. It’s TIG welded in the US and is super solid.

Yakima has a new swing away hitch system called Exo. It looks really cool and I’m intrigued. It’s certainly more prone to failure than the Pakmule though.
I just ordered the Yakima exo system. With additional upper level. The pakmule is great and indestructible. But you can open the swing gate when it’s loaded. The Yakima swings out when fully loaded. Also to clear rear tire most hitch racks will need a hitch extension like the Yakima model you can order from ford

Reactions: Dom

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered the Yakima exo system. With additional upper level. The pakmule is great and indestructible. But you can open the swing gate when it’s loaded. The Yakima swings out when fully loaded. Also to clear rear tire most hitch racks will need a hitch extension like the Yakima model you can order from ford
The Exo requires a hitch extension if you're using the upper level, correct?

Sponsored

ChathamShark

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2021, ’20 & ’15 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Exo requires a hitch extension if you're using the upper level, correct?
Yes. But I think a hitch extension may be necessary for many hitch cargo applications other than towing depending on the height of the cargo and how far the hitch rack extends from the hitch. Bike, for example, are tall.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. But I think a hitch extension may be necessary for many hitch cargo applications other than towing depending on the height of the cargo and how far the hitch rack extends from the hitch. Bike, for example, are tall.
Can't wait to see your setup. The Exo system looks sweet (y)

Gumbeaux

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look at the Curt version of hitch mounted cargo trays combined with a Weather Tech rain proof bag. Been using that combine for many years with no problems

Sponsored

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

kahunabob

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would love to see one of these on someone's Bronco to see how well it fits.
I use an extension with my 1up bike rack...It is very functional...but doesn't look that great folded up (not in use). In use, it looks fine.

I think this will be an issue with all of these cargo trays...When folded up they need to clear a big tire (35 inch for me)....weird looking

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
WOW. $945? That's crazy.

My 300lb ATV hitch rack ($69) and an extension tube do JUST fine.

chowfun27

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you installed the exo system yet? It seems like a nice system.

I was apprehensive if it would suite my needs as using a hitch extension drops the max tongue weight significantly to around 65% of the bronco's 350 lb...so around ~228 lbs. Found the information below from a wrangler forum (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/yakima-exo-—-anyone-use.67730)

Hitch extender + anti-rattle clamp = 15 lbs
Swing Base = 64 lbs
Gear locker = 28 lbs
TopShelf = 34 lbs
Top gear locker = 28 lbs
Total = 169 lbs; leaving 59 lbs for gear

The max weight of the lower gear locker is rated at 100 lbs and the top gear locker rated at 80 lbs.

HOWEVER.....I just found this hitch and it looks promising as the max tongue weight is 675 lbs. It has an extension built in so hopefully it clears the spare tire. 59 lbs of gear vs 180 lbs is a huge difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Bronco/2021/DT37GR.html?VehicleID=20216004594

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would love to see one of these on someone's Bronco to see how well it fits.

Met with them today in Dallas to see the product. Yeah, it's built to be worth the price. They have already fit them on a Sasquatch with factory spare. I will be ordering this week, so I'll post pictures when it comes in.

And yes, I have the cheap ones too. I'll feel a lot better about putting 300+lbs in this one and drive cross country AND offroad. Huge difference between the pakmule and the run of the mill pot metal cheap carriers.

Come up and hit some trails in NWA with us and I'll let you put it on yours and see how you like it.
Sponsored