Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only reason why I wouldn't buy a Pakmule is because I would but the Yakima swing away. It seems like that would be a better set up with a 2 door and a dog. However, The Pakmule is such a well made piece of kit. It will last for a long time, and if you don't want it anymore, you can sell it for $600+. My friend bought a used one for $625.

I'm really torn because the connection and quality of the Pakmule is great. However, the Yakima system looks awesome. I do worry that the moving parts wouldn't age as well as the Pakmule. I still have time to decide.
Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was looking at the pakmule a few months back for weekend travel. While the specs materials, and build quality are really good, I can't see spending that much on a hitch carrier. I like to buy high quality items but they also need to be reasonably priced. I know you get what you pay for, but to me this is just over priced. Or maybe over engineered for the purpose, that might be a more accurate statement.

Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was looking at the pakmule a few months back for weekend travel. While the specs materials, and build quality are really good, I can't see spending that much on a hitch carrier. I like to buy high quality items but they also need to be reasonably priced. I know you get what you pay for, but to me this is just over priced. Or maybe over engineered for the purpose, that might be a more accurate statement.
1UP is a bit cheaper, still aluminum, and well made.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/60in-hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier/

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This system looks great but the top shelf is probably a no-go with the spare tire. Maybe a hitch extension would work?
Almost none of the Yakima equipment is rated for offroad use. I have a Thule bike carrier that bought years ago, seemed pretty solid, one of their more expensive choices. I loaned it to someone that was supporting us on a mountain bike trip so he could carry a couple of bikes for our support crew. Didn't take long for him to damage it. Of course, I came to the realization that he drove offroad like he was trying to win the Baja 1000. Point is, unless the gear is super solid, I'd be concerned about it rattling aport after many miles on the trail. If you buy something cheap and/or not rated for offroad, make sure you are constantly checking it and have a contingency plan if it fails.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost none of the Yakima equipment is rated for offroad use. I have a Thule bike carrier that bought years ago, seemed pretty solid, one of their more expensive choices. I loaned it to someone that was supporting us on a mountain bike trip so he could carry a couple of bikes for our support crew. Didn't take long for him to damage it. Of course, I came to the realization that he drove offroad like he was trying to win the Baja 1000. Point is, unless the gear is super solid, I'd be concerned about it rattling aport after many miles on the trail. If you buy something cheap and/or not rated for offroad, make sure you are constantly checking it and have a contingency plan if it fails.
Thanks for the info; good to know. I was more thinking taking a couple of coolers to the beach for some surf fishing, which it should be fine for.

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will probably end up going with a pakmule swayback for hunting, camping, and traveling. It is expensive but I like the solid build, low height, relative light weight, and anti-rattle. The way I see it, if it fits my needs well and I use it frequently then I will get my money out of and not need to upgrade later.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I will probably end up going with a pakmule swayback for hunting, camping, and traveling. It is expensive but I like the solid build, low height, relative light weight, and anti-rattle. The way I see it, if it fits my needs well and I use it frequently then I will get my money out of and not need to upgrade later.
I keep trying to talk myself into buying something cheaper or different. However, I like simple solutions that work. I’ll even pay more for them. The only thing I dislike is that I won’t be able to have my dog jump in the rear with the Pakmule on the Bronco and filled with gear.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep trying to talk myself into buying something cheaper or different. However, I like simple solutions that work. I’ll even pay more for them. The only thing I dislike is that I won’t be able to have my dog jump in the rear with the Pakmule on the Bronco and filled with gear.
I agree that the big drawback is that the back cannot be opened when it is loaded.
I plan to pack a few larger items on it like a cooler, water can, gas can so there is less to remove then the door can open with out removing the carrier due to it's low height.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could add something like this or this

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m looking into getting one from etrailer with an 11” rise.

Ford Bronco Cargo space solution: pakmule 5782B433-EDD0-46A6-8A96-76645E109EF2
Does anyone know of anything similar besides the WarriorProducts one?
Sponsored