Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Dr Cosmo Blue
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just traded my 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat with the 2.3 engine. I changed oil with full synthetic Mobile 1 extended performance every 5,000 miles. I measured the oil removed at each oil change. I traded that truck in with 90k miles. 6 qts +/- 1 oz was removed at each oil change. If the catch can removes 4 oz every 600 miles …..that would be close to 32 oz removed every 5000 miles by the catch can…….(excuse the math skills😃)…….my truck ran perfectly since the day I picked it up new until the day I traded it in for the Bronco. I will not install a catch can on the Bronco either. I’m not sure this is a real issue with this current 2.3 ecoboost……especially if you drive it like a turbo wants to be driven……get it into boost on occasion.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.7 v6 is both ported fuel/direct injection (PFDI) - the 2.3 is direct. I had a '18 F150 Raptor and now the Bronco v6, both dual injected, and I personally don't really see the need for the catch can. Plus, I never keep vehicles long enough to see a problem.

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

probably the best testing I’ve found on catch cans. I personally think they are a waste of money but everyone is entitled to their own opinion enjoy.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just traded my 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat with the 2.3 engine. I changed oil with full synthetic Mobile 1 extended performance every 5,000 miles. I measured the oil removed at each oil change. I traded that truck in with 90k miles. 6 qts +/- 1 oz was removed at each oil change. If the catch can removes 4 oz every 600 miles …..that would be close to 32 oz removed every 5000 miles by the catch can…….(excuse the math skills😃)…….my truck ran perfectly since the day I picked it up new until the day I traded it in for the Bronco. I will not install a catch can on the Bronco either. I’m not sure this is a real issue with this current 2.3 ecoboost……especially if you drive it like a turbo wants to be driven……get it into boost on occasion.
I use to run Mobil 1 changed to Penzoil ultra platinum never looked back. Mobil 1 for some reason i would loose oil on my f150 changed to penzoil and never seen any loss in oil levels. I even tried royal purple and that crap is garbage! I lost a half a quart on 2 oil changes with that stuff.

BobN - USAF

Big Bend
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend, 1942 Ford GPW (jeep)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

J&L Oil Separator Co. sells a can for both the 2.3 and 2.7. Found on Amazon for free shipping. I have a 2023 Big Bend with the 2.3L and the can mounts in what looks to me to be a very convenient place. It mounts on the end of the "brake line lock". There is already a hole there and you just bolt the can there. The rest is plug and play. The can I believe is 3 ounces but for about $40 more you can purchase a 6 ounce can.

I looked up the 2.7 and while maybe not as convenient as the 2.3, it is still in a very accessible place on top of the engine. It bolts into an empty mounting hole on top the engine. Looks like you discard the original hose and use the J&L hose. You can find the pdf instructions on their site by looking up the product.

Do I need it? No idea but for about $159, I will play the game. Installed today and will check it at 500 more miles.

I had a 2020 Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel and some of the forums for that engine recommended a can but as I recall you would needed to cut factory lines and I just wasn't in to it. Unplugging the factory line and plugging in a middle line and can is easy maintenance.

PXL_20230805_141059802.jpg

PXL_20230804_143154035.jpg

PXL_20230805_141050935.jpg

BobN - USAF

Big Bend
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend, 1942 Ford GPW (jeep)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, do I need a catch can? The J&L is a quality product to be sure. I checked the can 500 miles and again after another 1000 miles. There is basically no liquid in the can but there is a fine coating. So it is catching the oil. Not sure how many miles you have to drive without one to see any accumulation or what ever. I'm going to leave it for 2000 miles and see what I have after that. I don't really drive much these days since I'm retired. I bought the 23 in March and since then I have a little less than 5000 miles on it.

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Performance

Ford Bronco Catch can needed? PXL_20230805_141050935
There's a chamber in the turbo inlet with foam filter material where I think one of these lines attaches. There's also two other lines and the blow off valve recirulation hose going into there. Looks like it can act as sort of a catch can for that part of the system. I replaced the stock turbo inlet with the injen intake. I'm not sure if there's a filter in that one, didn't really look at it too much before I installed it. Didn't notice the filter in the stock intake tube until I was stashing it in the closet the next day.

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I added the Mishimoto single catch can to my 2.7 at 50 miles. I checked it at 500 miles and it has about 1/2 teaspoon of oil in the can. if it stays constant that would be roughly 2-1/2 oz per 5,000 miles or 1-1/2 at 3,000 where I will do my oil changes. Meh, you decide.

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wonder if you do a lot of engine braking and pull high vacuum a lot if that gives you more blow by.

Tucker417

Outer Banks
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There's a chamber in the turbo inlet with foam filter material where I think one of these lines attaches. There's also two other lines and the blow off valve recirulation hose going into there. Looks like it can act as sort of a catch can for that part of the system. I replaced the stock turbo inlet with the injen intake. I'm not sure if there's a filter in that one, didn't really look at it too much before I installed it. Didn't notice the filter in the stock intake tube until I was stashing it in the closet the next day.
I have the J&L installed on my 2.3L along with this Ford Performance one. When its cold you will get build up in the J&L catch can. I also checked the FP one at the same time and it didn't have anything in it. I'm still running it for piece of mind and will report back at a later date on it. But to summarize, the J&L defitley works.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just bought and installed the J&L can on our 2.7, they're local to us so I got a "showroom discount", $185 for can and extension out the door.

We have 21K and there was a bit of oil in the factory hose, we'll see what happens over time.
Sponsored