MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am fairly certain the front axle, transfer case, and rear axle all use the same plugs.

They are flangeless and washerless because they have tapered threads that use a friction fit to tighten.
Hmmm...I wonder if the fill plug from the OEM rear differential would fit? Since I am no longer using it, I could use it in the transfer case. Thoughts?
Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm...I wonder if the fill plug from the OEM rear differential would fit? Since I am no longer using it, I could use it in the transfer case. Thoughts?
Good thinking. I replaced my diff cover as well.
I'm no metallurgist, but would there be any concern about the dissimilar metals if the TC is aluminum and the plug is steel? Just use anti-sieze?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Good thinking. I replaced my diff cover as well.
I'm no metallurgist, but would there be any concern about the dissimilar metals if the TC is aluminum and the plug is steel? Just use anti-sieze?
It will work fine. Factory is aluminum for low cost. Just add some Teflon tape or paste to seal and act as antisieze.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will work fine. Factory is aluminum for low cost. Just add some Teflon tape or paste to seal and act as antisieze.
That's what I figured, but good to hear it from someone else.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really wish I got to to the front diff before 33k, but - whatcha gonna do? I’ll likely upgrade to 4.7 or 5.13 eventually anyhow.

Very metallic. Replaced it with Amsoil 75W110. I did the rear at 23k and I don’t remember it being nearly this bad. I’m gonna dump the rear as well (10k interval) and see how it looks.

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_5903
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_5902
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_5901

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Really wish I got to to the front diff before 33k, but - whatcha gonna do? I’ll likely upgrade to 4.7 or 5.13 eventually anyhow.

Very metallic. Replaced it with Amsoil 75W110. I did the rear at 23k and I don’t remember it being nearly this bad. I’m gonna dump the rear as well (10k interval) and see how it looks.

Ouch. That is pretty bad, but the good news is that you changed it. That is more than many do...what with that lifetime fill and all...

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Disregard my IG comment (didn't make the association that you are HudsonValleyBronco) to find this thread.

Ziemann

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco 2-Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And to think that some folks are still skeptical......

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And to think that some folks are still skeptical......
They are likely remembering the "good old days" where you could change the axle fluid at 100K miles and call it good for another 100K.

The Dana Advantek axles generate more wear metals and for a longer period time than any other axle I have ever owned or maintained.

The D44 under my retired Wrangler produced more iron in 26K miles than the Ford F-150 FX4 9.75" axle did in 160K and 45% of those miles were towing heavy (8000-9000 pounds).

Dana = 2163 and Ford = 697.

The photo is 100% indicative of that...

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At 33k with 10k and 10 months (Motorcraft 75W-85) and the ARB cover.

Pretty damn dark fluid - looks like motor oil. Lots of metal on the magnets and wiped out even more from the drain hole that collected after the drain. Refilled with Amsoil 75W-140.

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_5907

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_5912

Last edited:

Sponsored

ozark_stang

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeremy & Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak Lux and 2017 Mustang GT Prem
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nope. 75W-110 in the front for the reason you stated...less than 1QT capacity.

75W-140 in the rear based upon my experience with Dana 44 Advantek axles and Dana's recommendation vs. Ford's.
My 2024 Wildtrak landed a few weeks ago. Ordered the FP rear diff plate, was speaking with the service center and told them to hold off ordering the gear oil and just get the cover because I was contemplating what to do differently. Bronco is at 300 miles, wife has a business trip next week. When she makes it back the Bronco will be up in the 2k mile range and ready for the break in oil change like I did on our old Badlands but have the service center do the diff cover then. We got to talking higher weight gear oil they keep in stock and they said they can add friction modifiers. Talked about switching the front and rear gear oils and maybe using an Amsoil or Valvoline that from my understanding would have the friction modifiers if really needed in them. Told them was thinking maybe running a 75w-90 to 110 in the front and a 75w-110 to 140 in the rear and was still debating. And told them I would probably be swapping them every 25k miles. Small town local dealership, 25 year senior master Ford tech thats a great guy and on point, I trust them to do the service.

I live down in the Ozarks in Missouri. Stays hot and humid in the summer, doesn't get down below zero to far much in the winter. We have the 2024 Wildtrak Bronco and a 2017 Mustang GT and run them them spiritedly 😁 What should I run in our Wildtrak in your opinion if you were us?

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 1.JPG

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 2024 Wildtrak landed a few weeks ago. Ordered the FP rear diff plate, was speaking with the service center and told them to hold off ordering the gear oil and just get the cover because I was contemplating what to do differently. Bronco is at 300 miles, wife has a business trip next week. When she makes it back the Bronco will be up in the 2k mile range and ready for the break in oil change like I did on our old Badlands but have the service center do the diff cover then. We got to talking higher weight gear oil they keep in stock and they said they can add friction modifiers. Talked about switching the front and rear gear oils and maybe using an Amsoil or Valvoline that from my understanding would have the friction modifiers if really needed in them. Told them was thinking maybe running a 75w-90 to 110 in the front and a 75w-110 to 140 in the rear and was still debating. And told them I would probably be swapping them every 25k miles. Small town local dealership, 25 year senior master Ford tech thats a great guy and on point, I trust them to do the service.

I live down in the Ozarks in Missouri. Stays hot and humid in the summer, doesn't get down below zero to far much in the winter. We have the 2024 Wildtrak Bronco and a 2017 Mustang GT and run them them spiritedly 😁 What should I run in our Wildtrak in your opinion if you were us?

1.JPG
Nice one!

Here are my thoughts:

I would change the fluids no later than 5K miles, sooner if it is possible. You will want to change it a couple of times to remove all of the wear metals--especially in the axles as they generate more wear metal for a longer period of time.

For this "We got to talking higher weight gear oil they keep in stock and they said they can add friction modifiers." This smacks of a dealer who is 100% clueless. You have electronic locking differentials--friction modifiers are not required. In addition, nearly every synthetic gear oil on the market has friction modifiers built-in. It does not hurt ELD axles to have it. Friction modifiers do not change the viscosity of the oil nor do they make the oil more robust. They are for clutch type limited slip differentials to enable the clutches to slip slightly without chattering when the axle is in a turn.

The easy button would be 75W-140 in both axles and given your location, I would just grab some Castrol, Mobil 1, or Valvoline off the shelf. If you wanted to run a lighter oil, I would only do that in the front axle so 75W-90 in the front and 75W-140 in the rear.

Hope this helps--let me know if you have any questions.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Talked about switching the front and rear gear oils and maybe using an Amsoil or Valvoline that from my understanding would have the friction modifiers if really needed in them. Told them was thinking maybe running a 75w-90 to 110 in the front and a 75w-110 to 140 in the rear and was still debating. And told them I would probably be swapping them every 25k miles.
Interesting. I just got mine changed today (odo 12,500 miles)at the local dealer and they used Valvoline full syn 75w-90 in front and Valvoline full syn 75w-140 in the rear. I didn’t ask them to use any specific oil.

ozark_stang

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeremy & Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak Lux and 2017 Mustang GT Prem
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice one!

Here are my thoughts:

I would change the fluids no later than 5K miles, sooner if it is possible. You will want to change it a couple of times to remove all of the wear metals--especially in the axles as they generate more wear metal for a longer period of time.

For this "We got to talking higher weight gear oil they keep in stock and they said they can add friction modifiers." This smacks of a dealer who is 100% clueless. You have electronic locking differentials--friction modifiers are not required. In addition, nearly every synthetic gear oil on the market has friction modifiers built-in. It does not hurt ELD axles to have it. Friction modifiers do not change the viscosity of the oil nor do they make the oil more robust. They are for clutch type limited slip differentials to enable the clutches to slip slightly without chattering when the axle is in a turn.

The easy button would be 75W-140 in both axles and given your location, I would just grab some Castrol, Mobil 1, or Valvoline off the shelf. If you wanted to run a lighter oil, I would only do that in the front axle so 75W-90 in the front and 75W-140 in the rear.

Hope this helps--let me know if you have any questions.
I think the service center was just more curious as to why I would be straying off of the recommended for any warranty concerns down the road. I had brought friction modifiers initially when it seemed like maybe they were talking about bulk gear oils of the right weight, they said they can add friction modifiers, I had the conversation with them about what I had read that any name brand synthetic gear oils will already have any of that it would need, if essentially needed at all. Seems like they were open to help me find the cheapest budget route or try to understand why I am wanting to stray off the recommended. Honestly the more I think about the intervals I might be doing these myself at the house and order the little funnel off Amazon.

RedSoloCup

Big Bend
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t have an ELD in the rear and I’m only a 3.73 axle ratio. You think i could get away with 110 in the rear and 90 up front seeing as I probably won’t be using 4wd much and it will majority be in 2h. Thanks for any input. I have some left over new stock 75w-90 and would like to use it up. lol
Sponsored