Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I've never used snow chains on a vehicle before, but since I am driving through the Lake Tahoe Area and in Colorado this winter, I decided to buy some. When I checked the owners manual for recommended use, I read a warning that said use chains on all four tires and then immediately after the warning, the manual said to use chains only on the rear (picture attached for reference).

I've reached out to @Ford Motor Company, but they have been significantly less than helpful. Has anyone on this forum come across this discrepancy in the owners manual yet? If so, what answers have you gotten? Thanks!

IMG_2690.PNG
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you've misinterpreted. I believe the first statement is saying that if you use snow TIRES you need to use the same TIRES on all 4 wheels. It then goes on to say that CHAINS should only be used on the rear wheels. I may have misread it but I don't see a conflict.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do not use chains. That is why you bought a real 4wd vehicle.

Put the box next to one of your rear windows so a CHP officer can see it is in there if they are doing a chain check.

Chains are bad. The manual says you can use them with the Base steelies. But don't.

Also, I'm not making the distinction between chains and cables. Don't use cables either.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've lived in Colorado my whole life with a good 4x4 and good snow tires. I've never needed chains on a public road. Now off in the sticks in deep muddy snow, I have used them there. Just stay on public roads, you'll be fine.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you've misinterpreted. I believe the first statement is saying that if you use snow TIRES you need to use the same TIRES on all 4 wheels. It then goes on to say that CHAINS should only be used on the rear wheels. I may have misread it but I don't see a conflict.
I read it this way too. It says rear tires only. Never does it mention all four wheels or to put them on the front.

Sponsored

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do not use chains. That is why you bought a real 4wd vehicle.

Put the box next to one of your rear windows so a CHP officer can see it is in there if they are doing a chain check.

Chains are bad. The manual says you can use them with the Base steelies. But don't.

Also, I'm not making the distinction between chains and cables. Don't use cables either.
I guess it could happen, but I never been asked if I had chains in the vehicle by CHP or Cal Trans (on 50 or 80) while diving a 4X4 with mud/snow tires. They just wave you thru. Sometimes they ask if you have 4 wheel drive. I got asked last year in my Bronco, but she realized what she was asking as she was saying it and said go ahead.

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Chains are not for you whup…but rather, for the bedroom. Leave them off the Bronco.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess it could happen, but I never been asked if I had chains in the vehicle by CHP or Cal Trans (on 50 or 80) while diving a 4X4 with mud/snow tires. They just wave you thru. Sometimes they ask if you have 4 wheel drive. I got asked last year in my Bronco, but she realized what she was asking as she was saying it and said go ahead.
When I was a kid they would regularly do checks. So I grew up tossing an empty chain box in the back to show the CHPs. Now the only time I see them is before a big storm. They don't want idiots getting stuck up the mountain.

But yeah, generally they will waive obvious 4WD cars through.

The real problem (funny thing to watch) is people who put on chains the second they see a patch of snow and then crunch/slide around on dry pavement.
Sponsored