First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's that too. I know with Apple Maps you can save a certain amount of directions for off line use. Just don't get the live traffic updates
Bluntly, if you don't have service, you're in a place where you don't need traffic updates. :geek:

Chris
Sponsored

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford really hustling y’all for this money lol. CarPlay, android auto, and waze do literally everything and it keeps your phone charged. Intelligent navigation. And hands free communication. And Spotify/pandora/i heart radio. For real. Everything you could possibly ever want and/or need is already taken care of. Please hear this: don’t worry about fancy ford Navi. Base sync comes with all you need.

oh annnnd checking your phone doesn’t boot you from navigation on the stereo screen. But at least we know who texts and drives now! Lol. I’m only teasing.

Not only that, if you are messing with text/phone/music, the navigation pops up in a bar along the top as well as announcing directions so you don’t kiss anything.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford really hustling y’all for this money lol. CarPlay, android auto, and waze do literally everything and it keeps your phone charged. Intelligent navigation. And hands free communication. And Spotify/pandora/i heart radio. For real. Everything you could possibly ever want and/or need is already taken care of. Please hear this: don’t worry about fancy ford Navi. Base sync comes with all you need.

oh annnnd checking your phone doesn’t boot you from navigation on the stereo screen. But at least we know who texts and drives now! Lol. I’m only teasing.

Not only that, if you are messing with text/phone/music, the navigation pops up in a bar along the top as well as announcing directions so you don’t kiss anything.
As long as you are in an area with a cell signal, which I am not in many of the locations I camp in.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure, guess it depends on the device. I see where sync4 depends on the cloud for a lot of its functions, I won't have access to that where I will be. My phone or car will not be connected for days at a time, why I need a stand alone GPS mapping system that does not rely on the cell system to get its information.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@JesseS i said it didn't have anything to do with being connected to your phone.
And this is where the subscription fees come into play. ✌
I just want to know the difference between 'connected Nav' and 'Built in connected Nav, seems the system will rely heavily on being connected to AT&T cell service. Just what are we getting with the $695 difference between to two. I am tempted to not get anything above the base radio and use my 7" RV GPS on the dash mount.

Connected to the Cloud – To Keep Up With Your Life
Now that every new Ford vehicle comes with optional FordPass Connect™1 with a 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot, cloud connectivity comes standard to SYNC 4.
Navigation is fully connected to and informed by the internet with maps that are frequently refreshed with the latest available traffic and construction information
, ensuring customers are getting the most up-to-date info for their routes.

FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles) and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I read, I understand it to be like the following:

Connected: Like Google Maps, it streams the data (maps, points of interest, directions, traffic) from the internet on an as-needed basis.

Connected with built-in: All of the above but the maps also save to the car's hard drive so you can use them when not connected to the internet. Live data like traffic would not be available while offline but directions and some points of interest would still be available.

The part about "evolving technology" is a legal disclaimer that if ATT stops supporting the network that the car uses in the future you will lose the navigation feature. This is happening now as cell companies are retiring 3G and a lot of old devices will stop working in the next couple years. And it's not just connected cars: I just got an notice from my secuity company that they need to upgrade my panel to LTE to keep it working (for free luckily).

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah... I don't thing anyone is questioning Apple/Android connections. But some people, like myself, do not like my Infotainment to be driven from my phone. I never connect my phone and want my Navigation separate.

So the question at hand is simply, what is the difference between the standard Sync 4 and the one that cost $700 more. Because on the B&P the only difference is the wording.

I have yet to read some of the external links posts above so maybe the answer is in there. I've been using my Nav for over 3 years and never updated it once. That is all I'm looking for.

If for example, I can NOT use my "Remote Start" if I don't also buy the $700 upgrade.. or my Nav will NOT work because I don't have my phone connected... that is the kind of info I think we are looking for.

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unlike most vehicle nav units that are loaded onboard via DVD or other media, the Ford nav system works off of a continuous internet connection that the vehicle has, thus it not only updates itself automatically, it uses live traffic, such as what Google Maps uses. It also has the capability to store mapping when the vehicle is in an offline status. The included nav has a 90 day subscription and the built in option has a 3 year subscription. IMO, it’s the subscription time that makes these 2 different as I see no tech difference between them. This is also the nav system being used in the 2021 F-150
Well this sucks, I hate apps that are cloud dependent, one fire, car accident, or equipment malfunction and you have either limited or no functionality.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I read, I understand it to be like the following:

Connected: Like Google Maps, it streams the data (maps, points of interest, directions, traffic) from the internet on an as-needed basis.

Connected with built-in: All of the above but the maps also save to the car's hard drive so you can use them when not connected to the internet. Live data like traffic would not be available while offline but directions and some points of interest would still be available.

The part about "evolving technology" is a legal disclaimer that if ATT stops supporting the network that the car uses in the future you will lose the navigation feature. This is happening now as cell companies are retiring 3G and a lot of old devices will stop working in the next couple years. And it's not just connected cars: I just got an notice from my secuity company that they need to upgrade my panel to LTE to keep it working (for free luckily).
Thank You, this is what I thought but could not find a definitive answer. Now as long as the trail maps also download to onboard storage I am good. Someone stated that the extra $700 was for the extra 33 months of subscription but I was skeptical, as mapping updates for cars are normally done via sd card or dvd once a year, but For has always done things the hard way. I don't mind the $$ so much as the total lack of easy to access information.

Sponsored

Rev17

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My take on this after reading thru what data I can find, is the "connected" part is NOT to a cellular data link, but a satellite data link. Your map data, POI, and traffic all come from a satellite downlink just like your XM radio. The cost of sat data plans tends to be on the high side, so I would expect that a subscription would be somewhere in the $20ish /mon range. This may account for the $600+ cost of the "Built In" option. Also I suspect the built in option may have some storage capacity for storing map data for use when sat reception is compromised.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So my wife's mazda does NOT have Navigation. My Mazda does. The only difference is that my car has a GPS receiver box installed under the dash.

So are we saying that both Sync4 systems have a GPS receiver and that the Price difference really is simply a more expensive On-line connection link?

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fan of Android auto/Apple Car Play. Works ok.
I agree, If you have Apple Car Play, you can use Waze and Google Maps to see all of that stuff. If you plan on going somewhere with no signal you can download that area on Google Maps for offline use. I do it all the time when I go primitive camping.

civilguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree, If you have Apple Car Play, you can use Waze and Google Maps to see all of that stuff. If you plan on going somewhere with no signal you can download that area on Google Maps for offline use. I do it all the time when I go primitive camping.
I’ve noticed that if you add the $595 nav option and then got the 3D rendering view you’ll noticed the monitor is now the 12”.
Some are saying you get the 12” instead of the 8” with the $595.

Let all hope! Then we won’t need the High package now to get the larger monitor.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Connected vs. Connected Built-In Navigation Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 9.42.03 AM

Whats the deal here? What does that even mean? And the upgrade says it comes with 8" screen but shows picture of the 12" screen.

Any techies out there that can tell me the difference between navigation and built in navigation? Is that worth $700?
Sponsored