Sponsored

Could rocking back and forth when stuck break your front differential.

lamokadave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And my question wasn't designed to create a debate. I just wanted to learn if indeed there was some factual reason why the strength would be different one way or another. I wonder if the gears are cut in such a way that in One direction they pull into each other and in the opposite direction push away?
Sponsored

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Be as "harsh" as you want, I need to figure this out and I lack years of experience many others have.
There is no reason for anyone to be harsh as we all started somewhere/sometime. I started 4 wheeling back in the mid 80's and made so many mistakes and put myself in a lot of bad spots as I learned.

A few general recommendations not directly related to your original issue.
  • Attend a Bronco Off-Roadeo if you can.
  • If you have front and rear lockers, learn when and how to use them. People are breaking tie rods and blaming the Bronco (yes they are a trouble spot) but locking the front then trying to turn is a driver fault. Same as locking the front and bouncing.
  • Join a local Bronco club and go out wheeling with experienced 4x4'ers. If you can't find a Bronco club hit up a Jeep club. I am sure most would be happy to have you aboard.

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reverse gear is not as strong as the forward gears. It is the reason you never pull a car out by driving the recovery vehicle in reverse.

You mentioned back and forth- do you happen to remember if the incidents happened when you were going forward or in reverse?

TerryB

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Badlands Sasquatch, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In regards to the reverse question, it's because of the design of the gears. They are designed to have more strength in forward than reverse.
Going back and forth is really meant as a technique to be used in sand or snow, and to some degree mud. I would never use it in other scenarios, it puts too much strain on the vehicle.
Put a winch on your vehicle and do proper recoveries when stuck. That would have avoided both breakages.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like a case of "tire suddenly gets traction while open diff is spinning pretty quickly"

If you pop it a third time, just move up to the m210 and get yourself stronger gearing and the front locker - that would have helped a lot here in these situations.

Sponsored

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Could rocking back and forth when stuck break your front differential. Screenshot 2024-05-15 112011

60sIron

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are in a situation where traction is very limited. Sounds like both times it is a situation where you have the rear locker on and you aren't moving, so both rear tires have limited traction. Also at least one of the front tires has limited traction so three tires are spinning and the car isn't moving.

Then while rocking, perhaps that loose tire in the front catches. Depending on how everything is spinning, when that 'catch' happens it can abruptly create loads from the momentum of the spinning drivetrain components. That change in momentum alone can create stresses in the diff far greater than anything the engine alone can create.

When you are doing this rock back and forth maneuver, you must be aware of what is spinning and which direction it is spinning, and if things are still spinning forward, you shouldn't be slamming it into reverse and creating a sudden change in momentum. When you are 'rocking', you want to use the momentum of the truck to help you get out of low traction situation with the vehicle going back and forth until you find somewhere the tires can grab. If you think you can power through a sticky spot by spinning the tires fast, put it in forward and spin away. If you want to rock back and forth, you want to limit uncontrolled wheel spin to avoid breaking thing.

Offroadalliance

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
if something breaks i take the chance to upgrade usually to something stronger or better suited for the conditions I AM PUTTING THE VEHICLE THROUGH. If youve broken 2, its LIKELY your driving, but if its the conditions youre experiencing, putting the same part back in is simply a bandaid. change the driving conditions or habits, or upgrade the parts.

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reverse gear is not as strong as the forward gears. It is the reason you never pull a car out by driving the recovery vehicle in reverse.

You mentioned back and forth- do you happen to remember if the incidents happened when you were going forward or in reverse?
Both times the front dif broke it was when going forward after reverse.

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are in a situation where traction is very limited. Sounds like both times it is a situation where you have the rear locker on and you aren't moving, so both rear tires have limited traction. Also at least one of the front tires has limited traction so three tires are spinning and the car isn't moving.

Then while rocking, perhaps that loose tire in the front catches. Depending on how everything is spinning, when that 'catch' happens it can abruptly create loads from the momentum of the spinning drivetrain components. That change in momentum alone can create stresses in the diff far greater than anything the engine alone can create.

When you are doing this rock back and forth maneuver, you must be aware of what is spinning and which direction it is spinning, and if things are still spinning forward, you shouldn't be slamming it into reverse and creating a sudden change in momentum. When you are 'rocking', you want to use the momentum of the truck to help you get out of low traction situation with the vehicle going back and forth until you find somewhere the tires can grab. If you think you can power through a sticky spot by spinning the tires fast, put it in forward and spin away. If you want to rock back and forth, you want to limit uncontrolled wheel spin to avoid breaking thing.
That is a pretty good description. First time I had minimal traction front right and both rear due to mud. The front left had a smallish rock behind the tire. Second time both rear tires were in the air about an inch from the berm, the front right I am not sure, and the front left in mud/mixed crap.

Lots of good feedback in this thread,t hanks everyone.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Both times the front dif broke it was when going forward after reverse.
Most likely damage started happening in reverse then finished going forward. Bevel gears as mentioned above are strongest going forward. Pulling backwards there is way more taper on that side of the teeth and causes more deflection (the pinion gear trying to push the ring gear away from it). That deflection is usually what breaks a differential. The cases on these diffs are not very strong or resistant to deflection.
Sponsored