Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know what this slot is for in the LOD brackets? It sticks down below the bottom of the frame rail, but doesn't match up with anything.

LOD bracket (2).jpg
It was talked about a few pages back. Have to cut them off to work with the mod bumper.
Sponsored

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2-Door BadSquatch, '21 Mach-E GTPE, '13 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, so apparently they're for flat towing safety chains.

They appear to fit with my JKS max tire kit front body mount, and my JCR Vanguard bumper and skid plates, so I'm debating about keeping them.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed my LOD brackets last weekend and reinstalled mod bumper. Still need to reinstall the winch that I put on 2 months ago. Here’s a pic mid-install …

590CFC36-6FFB-4DB9-8C74-94917D2CBC59.jpeg

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

American cars have been metric for longer than you can even imagine.

My 79 Chevy truck had a mixture of metric and SAE bolts on it. Not many metric, but I do remember it was always an issue because I thought I was going crazy that none of my wrenches or sockets were the correct size. I think it was the guys at NAPA that told me about metric tools and sold me some very expensive sockets just to get a couple bolts off that vise grips wouldn't get to.

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finished installing the LOD plates tonight. I ended up doing it without removing my JCR Vanguard bumper and Warn winch. It took some manipulating of my arm at weird angles in order to get the washers and nuts tightened onto the bolts inside the frame rails, but in the end it was far easier to do it that way than to remove the bumper, winch, camera, etc. I'm not totally impressed with the LOD plates - I'll definitely swap them out once the OP offers his beefy solution. But until then, the LODs should give me some additional peace of mind when I need to use the winch.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Could the LOD brackets be installed with some sort of sleeve throught the frame so the bolt could go all the way through instead of having to get inside the frame just for a nut?

Also, what did you guys end up concluding about the crumple bumps in the frame as to not smash them when sandwiching the brackets?

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided to cut the factory nut plate so that I could use them for reinstallation of my bumper and winch mount. Remember these factory nut plates don’t work with the LOD bracket kit. It’s because the piece that connects the 2 parts contacts the LOD brackets.

And I added a couple final pics

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount B11C68C1-365C-43FE-BDD2-94AE141164DA

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount 920D683C-DCB4-4918-8196-4220090A626C

2018CD7A-B2D2-4F97-B077-7640C88C7B95.jpeg

23B4B1F2-2DEF-4486-A65D-5F758B38C917.jpeg

Last edited:

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, what did you guys end up concluding about the crumple bumps in the frame as to not smash them when sandwiching the brackets?
The crumple bumps did not deform when I installed the LOD plates. Instead, the LOD plates bent around the bumps. Which is why I'm not overly thrilled with the LOD product. I'm sure it will help prevent the OP's situation, but they are certainly FAR from being a bombproof solution. They need to be made out of 5/16" steel, rather than the 3/16" that they are made from.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wow, so I just read through this whole thread.

What a roller coaster ride of differing conclusions and emotions 😆

I think I may be one to join OP as a tester lol.

So yesterday morning I was out with a few friends on the dunes. Got caught in a sticky situation where my right wheel was totally submerged into the sand, belly of the car beached and left wheel lodged up against a mound/bush with steering facing to the right.

No chance to move the steering or wiggle out or back up as I was on a down hill incline.

Anyway, to cut it short.. big black GMC to the rescue with a kinetic tow rope and a heavy foot. We tied the rope to my front left factory towing point (MOD bumper) and it was at an angle so not pulling straight.

Not sure what he was thinking, but the guy floored it 🤦.

Yanked out the bronco pretty hard.

Looking at the aftermath, my front left frame horn does seem to have moved ever so slightly due to the force. I can visibly see the part of the frame horn when the bolt goes in. Whereas on the other side, it is hidden behind that plastic cover. So there has been some movement for sure. My bumper also seems a bit wonky.

Been very paranoid since then, hoping that the chassis is not bent. This thread has been extremely interesting and does give some peace of mind.

Anyway, I just thought I would add to this thread. My car has been dropped off this evening to my friends garage. He will be taking it apart in the morning and will post some pics and feedback.

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount 23B4B1F2-2DEF-4486-A65D-5F758B38C917

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount 23B4B1F2-2DEF-4486-A65D-5F758B38C917

A great lesson in how over 95% of people with kinetic roads have no idea how to use them properly or safely.

Unfortunate you were out there without any recovery gear or even a shovel (also a great lesson you learned), but don't let Slackjaw Q. Local with a kinetic rope hook up to your rig.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It was talked about a few pages back. Have to cut them off to work with the mod bumper.
What if we bend the tab over underneath the frame like in your design?

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided to cut the factory nut plate so that I could use them for reinstallation of my bumper and winch mount. Remember these factory nut plates don’t work with the LOD bracket kit. It’s because the piece that connects the 2 parts contacts the LOD brackets.

B11C68C1-365C-43FE-BDD2-94AE141164DA.jpeg
Hopefully with the LOD plates everything is more solid, but my nuts were tearing through the plate, it's just not thick enough.
What if we bend the tab over underneath the frame like in your design?
Could try it.

Last edited:

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Could the LOD brackets be installed with some sort of sleeve throught the frame so the bolt could go all the way through instead of having to get inside the frame just for a nut?

Se

Great pictures!

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully with the LOD plates everything is more solid, but my nuts were tearing through the plate, it's just not thick enough.
Wow ok. That’s concerning. I bought high grade washers and nuts (better than what LOD supplied) to go with factory bolts, but chose to use the factory nut plates as I figured that would give more surface area than 1.25” washers. But it’s easy enough to swap the plate with nuts/washers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.