Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I drained my oil shortly after I got my Bronco (with my initial oil level after PDI showing halfway up the twist) and got 6.7. quarts out...and the old filter held several ounces of oil, so mine added up to just about 7 total (NOT six). Scores of other Bronco owners with 2.7s also drained out 7. It is possible that Ford's "7 quart capacity pan" was nothing but a fantasy, and that they went ahead and filled all the earlier Broncos with 7 as they left assembly...wishful thinking that 7 was correct...and that the first gen stick WAS accurate. Or it is possible that they did engineer a pan for 7, and used whatever stick that could find initially...and then said "oops"...hence the two additional sticks that they added to their parts database for the Bronco. Maybe they even did have a pan that held 7, used it, and found that whatever oil pickup assembly they had was starving some engines grenading valvetrains...who knows...and then decided to go back to 6? Hopefully some sleuthing will get us all the accurate answer ASAP.
Hello. I have only done my own 2.7. I removed 6 qts. The filter doesn't retain any oil the way the old bottom attached filets did. The best thing is to replace the same amount as was removed. It seems to vary slightly which is strange.
Sponsored

Chris_Derksen

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And here is my reply from engineering

Jul-28-2022 01:11:25Comment From: FORD

There does appear to be a discrepancy between the WSM and the Owner’s Manual Engine Oil capacities. The WSM capacity of 6.0qts should be followed for the 2.7L engine. This concern has been reported so the publications can be updated appropriately.

For future reference, please note that technical support requests should only be submitted to the Technical Assistance Center under the correct VIN for the vehicle being worked on to ensure proper documentation. If you have any further questions for different vehicles, please submit a new technical support request form under the appropriate VIN.

Ford Technical Assistance Center -
Conrad
Thanks Rednek for your help on this. I have a 2021 2.7L w/ an "H" dipstick. Wondering if I should try and order the new one? Right now w/ 6 quarts from the dealer it is measuring half way up the twist.

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So we’ve had an engineer say 7 quarts and now one saying 6 quarts? Is that correct?
Looks to be the case. Guess we will see if the information gets published to an updated owner's manual in the near future. Glad I still have a bit before I have to change my oil. At 600 now and planned on changing at 1000. Hopefully we get a true confirmation prior to that or I might drag it to 1100 or 1200. Maybe they will eventually say something about the stock one day.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks Rednek for your help on this. I have a 2021 2.7L w/ an "H" dipstick. Wondering if I should try and order the new one? Right now w/ 6 quarts from the dealer it is measuring half way up the twist.
order the update part but i believe it's still on national back order

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And here is my reply from engineering

Jul-28-2022 01:11:25Comment From: FORD

There does appear to be a discrepancy between the WSM and the Owner’s Manual Engine Oil capacities. The WSM capacity of 6.0qts should be followed for the 2.7L engine. This concern has been reported so the publications can be updated appropriately.

For future reference, please note that technical support requests should only be submitted to the Technical Assistance Center under the correct VIN for the vehicle being worked on to ensure proper documentation. If you have any further questions for different vehicles, please submit a new technical support request form under the appropriate VIN.

Ford Technical Assistance Center -
Conrad
This doesn’t seem like much of an official answer. More like “I dunno but follow the work shop manual”

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This doesn’t seem like much of an official answer. More like “I dunno but follow the work shop manual”
unfortunatly the only 2.7 we have sold in this area got free oil change with the new engine:oops:(the bosses demo)

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jimmy, if people order the updated dipstick part, which members here have confirmed will read full at 7 quarts, but then follow the most recent guidance to refill with 6 quarts, wouldn't the reading on the updated dipstick appear perpetually low?

#rhetorical

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jimmy, if people order the updated dipstick part, which members here have confirmed will read full at 7 quarts, but then follow the most recent guidance to refill with 6 quarts, wouldn't the reading on the updated dipstick appear perpetually low?

#rhetorical
most have said level will be "in the twist" with the old stick at 7q,engineering is not making my job any easier(as always)need to confirm on an actual vehicle.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That would not be correct if it is just 6 qts now. At 6 quarts I think the original dip stick with the H would be correct. 7.5qts factory fill is too much which is why it goes half way up the twist. A drain and refill of 6 qts will lower it considerably, not sure exactly where it would would measure on the H stick but probably in the correct range.

Sponsored

Chris_Derksen

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would not be correct if it is just 6 qts now. At 6 quarts I think the original dip stick with the H would be correct. 7.5qts factory fill is too much which is why it goes half way up the twist. A drain and refill of 6 qts will lower it considerably, not sure exactly where it would would measure on the H stick but probably in the correct range.
That's the weird thing. I just had my first service and the dealer put in 6 quarts. I just checked and w/ the H dipstick it is about half way up the twist. I never checked it before my first service, so not sure how it measured from the factory.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks to be the case. Guess we will see if the information gets published to an updated owner's manual in the near future. Glad I still have a bit before I have to change my oil. At 600 now and planned on changing at 1000. Hopefully we get a true confirmation prior to that or I might drag it to 1100 or 1200. Maybe they will eventually say something about the stock one day.
Getting my first oil change this Saturday at 4500 miles. Interested to see what they put in!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FSE just got back and said 6 qt. A SSM is supposed to be coming out soon.
Sounds like another dipstick part revision will be coming down the pike, too. 🤦‍♂️🤡
Sponsored