Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been stuck on which top to get all summer. It's mainly between GearShade and JTops, but the cheaper options drive me mad. I like the mesh options and features of JTops, but I don't like that it covers so much of the roll bar or the price. I like the way the roll bar looks when you pull the top. GearShade is a good size, but I don't like how it connects with all those little bungees and straps. You just know the sun will wear those down. Then there are all the similar-looking cheaper options on Amazon. And yeah, I know you get what you pay for, but how different can they be? And I want to buy Made in the USA, but 400% markup is a lot for a similar product.

Someone break this stalemate for me.
Sponsored

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve got nothing but empty promises from Mike H @ J tops. Been waiting for months see other people get there’s and ask. I get the same response. Your on the list I’ll make sure it gets out. Then crickets. For that reason alone but elsewhere.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Following. I have the JTops bookmarked as a potential purchase, mostly because i like their color selection. I think the driftwood tan would look sick on my Oxford White with sand interior.

Haven't done too much homework on options besides what i previously stated.

https://www.jtopsusa.com/product-page/ford-bronco-bimini-sun-shade-top-royal-blue-mesh
You can order free samples to see the mesh and color up close from the website. Also if you decide to order use forum member code G625 for $25 off.
Mike

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I switched from a GearShade to a JTop. I don't regret it. Not having the gaps for the sun to laser beam my eyeballs is worth its weight in gold. Being able to drive on the highway without the shade flapping so badly I worry it might tear itself off is nice too.

I still have my GearShade. Light gray color. I'll let it go for a good price if someone wants to try it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Following. I have the JTops bookmarked as a potential purchase, mostly because i like their color selection. I think the driftwood tan would look sick on my Oxford White with sand interior.

Haven't done too much homework on options besides what i previously stated.

https://www.jtopsusa.com/product-page/ford-bronco-bimini-sun-shade-top-royal-blue-mesh
Yeah I like some of their options better too. I got a few samples and am leaning towards Dense Titanium if I go with them.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve got nothing but empty promises from Mike H @ J tops. Been waiting for months see other people get there’s and ask. I get the same response. Your on the list I’ll make sure it gets out. Then crickets. For that reason alone but elsewhere.
The only orders we are behind on are the 4 Door Hard top versions. That has been caused by zipper supply issues. Sure we could have used cheaper zippers from China and got product out quicker but that's not how we do things.
If you want a new update just call, email or text. We answer every question within hours or even minutes. That why this forum voted us the best shade 3 to 1 over the competition!
Mike

AZBaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here's my take. I have the gearshade, and I got it before the Jtops were available.

Looks - I def like the overall look of the Jtop better
Coverage - Yes the Gearshade doesn't go right to the edges like Jtop does, but thats not a big deal for me and I like that Gearshade doesn't go so far down the back....that might have changed since the initial Jtop design, I haven't checked in a few months.
Ease of use - I know the idea of the bungees doesnt sound great at first, but they honestly are super fast and easy to take off and put back on. At least for me I only like the shade up top on sunny days, but on cloudy days or in the evening I'd much rather go fully open. So the quick easiness of gearshade is a plus for me. Also, you don't have velco strips left behind with the shade is off.

Overall - I think they are probably both great choices, the gearshade just happens to be a better fit for my needs. But I wouldn't go cheap from Amazon...get a quality product, its for you and your Bronco and you two deserve the best!

Side note - I also happen to hate the look of the soft top, but its so easy to use and so functionally perfect for my needs, that I'm probably going to keep it rather than move to a hardtop option. Its kind of similar to the shade story...one version def looks better (hardtop and Jtop), but the other functions better for my needs (softtop and gearshade)....cheers

lmarchetti

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the JTop and I enjoy it's coverage but it's a pain to take the soft top off and Velcro just won't stand the test of time.

I honestly only want the sunshade on 2 months out of the summer and with this top the Velcro comes right off when trying to take off the mesh top.

Also, no one mentions the soft top frame catches the shade on the roll bar and you have to shimmy it to get it in position 3.

If you plan on removing at any regular cadence, I would steer clear.

Looks the coolest though....

Sponsored
OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's my take. I have the gearshade, and I got it before the Jtops were available.

Looks - I def like the overall look of the Jtop better
Coverage - Yes the Gearshade doesn't go right to the edges like Jtop does, but thats not a big deal for me and I like that Gearshade doesn't go so far down the back....that might have changed since the initial Jtop design, I haven't checked in a few months.
Ease of use - I know the idea of the bungees doesnt sound great at first, but they honestly are super fast and easy to take off and put back on. At least for me I only like the shade up top on sunny days, but on cloudy days or in the evening I'd much rather go fully open. So the quick easiness of gearshade is a plus for me. Also, you don't have velco strips left behind with the shade is off.

Overall - I think they are probably both great choices, the gearshade just happens to be a better fit for my needs. But I wouldn't go cheap from Amazon...get a quality product, its for you and your Bronco and you two deserve the best!

Side note - I also happen to hate the look of the soft top, but its so easy to use and so functionally perfect for my needs, that I'm probably going to keep it rather than move to a hardtop option. Its kind of similar to the shade story...one version def looks better (hardtop and Jtop), but the other functions better for my needs (softtop and gearshade)....cheers
The velcro is a big negative for me. Thanks for the thorough input. Helpful.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Decision Paralysis - Which Mesh Top To Get IMG_3006

Love the Jtops custom graphics, unfortunately have not installed my hoist yet to take my top off and start cruising with this baby!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I vote for the JTop, but that said, I really don't care for any of the current manufacturer models.
The mesh may be fine to help keep a bit of direct sun off of the passengers, but they don't offer any other protection from the elements.
I've run the vinyl bikini tops on several older Jeeps and Broncos through the years and really liked them. The material used on those and the way they attached made them very user friendly. This new stuff,,,,, not so much.
I ordered a Jtop, then cancelled the order after I rode in a friends Bronco with a JTop.
Hopefully the future will bring something more practical and less expensive for what you get.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dang, just ordered earlier in the week and didn't see this. No need to fix it, my bad 100%. Looking forward to it arriving.
What’s your order number? We can issue refund for the discount.
Mike
Sent the number it to [email protected]

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I vote for the JTop, but that said, I really don't care for any of the current manufacturer models.
The mesh may be fine to help keep a bit of direct sun off of the passengers, but they don't offer any other protection from the elements.
I've run the vinyl bikini tops on several older Jeeps and Broncos through the years and really liked them. The material used on those and the way they attached made them very user friendly. This new stuff,,,,, not so much.
I ordered a Jtop, then cancelled the order after I rode in a friends Bronco with a JTop.
Hopefully the future will bring something more practical and less expensive for what you get.
There are a lot of reasons why the tops are mesh.
The main one is called the Bernoulli effect! It’s why jets fly.
The air rushing across the surface creates a low pressure zone. If we made our top out of a solid fabric it would bubble up and try and lift off. The mesh lets it breath and overcomes the upward lift.
So the solution would be to make a structure the top is attached to. Then it’s getting close to a soft top and the structure gets expensive.

The upward forces change dramatically as speeds increase so a sold top may work just fine under 45mph but anything faster and your in trouble.

As far as cost just the raw materials in our tops exceed $125. A US made bungee top has less that $25 in material, we know…it’s what we do. Then there is labor to make them that we pay at a living wage. Add facility and equipment overhead, employees salaries, insurance and warranty costs.

Made in the USA is expensive! We can have our products made in China for 60% less but it’s not something we would even consider. There is a plethora of $50 tops made in China on Amazon. There is a reason they are $50 bucks!

Just our feedback…
Mike
Sponsored

Last edited: