Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's interesting how many are out there looking for the same thing but settling for what's currently available. If only one of the manufacturers were on here listening to the feedback and take it for what it's worth. It's like a free focus group.
Sponsored

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What was it you ordered?

I have a JTops, while I was technically a "pre-order" and it took some time. I will agree that Mike's communication group could use some work.

I will add this; I had a Bestop as a DIO and when I put it on I hated it. It didn't cover enough, when the top was on it hung down loose and rubbed against my head ( resolved this by putting the 2 clips in permanently), it never felt tight, the J hooks up front didn't sit flat, the dealer had installed it at some point and one of the plastic hooks in the back was bent out straight so it didn't work right, the tethers that looped around the roll cage and had to use the speaker bolts, the metal bar going through the middle of the shade to give it "support"....I was not pleased with it at all.
I was actually just scanning this thread about this exact issue Iā€™m observing.

The instructions were terrible,. So, I followed the video; which was definitely better, but still confusing as the two didnā€™t align and I felt like I missed something due to how loose it was.

i tightened everything and got to a point where I thought I was better asking Bronco6G

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ll be getting the Jtops, when I get one. Not that it helps with your decisionā€¦ lol

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the GearShade and itā€™s great. It does exactly what I want it to do and is quick to remove. I think itā€™s the way to go.

Reactions: RLW

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have the JTop and really like it. To everyone complaing about the velcro messing up the precious finish on the roll bar, I'm glad the velcro is on there. From taking my hardtop off, I had so many scratches on it before. Now it's at least somewhat protected.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just ordered the Rough Country bikini top. It was under $100 and I like the fact that it doesn't have that big gap in the front like some of those Amazon options. Hopefully, that will mean less flapping.

1660938542888.png
What's funny about this RC picture is it looks like this Bronco already has the fasteners installed for a Gear Shade top! šŸ˜‚

My Friend Flicka

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco, Acura, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GearShade tops now come standard with metal rear clips and strips of PPF to protect the paint under each clip.
I just got one of these a few days ago and I can confirm that it can with metal clips, but sadly mine did not come with any strips of ppfā€¦..

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got one of these a few days ago and I can confirm that it can with metal clips, but sadly mine did not come with any strips of ppfā€¦..
Did you buy direct from GearShade, or via a distributor? I wonder if it was old stock? I know mine came with 3 metal clips and three pieces of PPF, and I think the instructions even covered the PPF application.

Maybe you should reach out to William and see if he can mail you the strips in an envelope?

My Friend Flicka

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco, Acura, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you buy direct from GearShade, or via a distributor? I wonder if it was old stock? I know mine came with 3 metal clips and three pieces of PPF, and I think the instructions even covered the PPF application.

Maybe you should reach out to William and see if he can mail you the strips in an envelope?
Iā€™ll give that a try. I ordered mine direct from GearShade, it didnā€™t come with actual instructions, just a QR code on the package which took me to instructions on their site. Donā€™t remember seeing anything about ppf on those instructions, but Iā€™ll double checkā€¦

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I almost threw my little PPF strips away, looked like shipping trash tossed in the box.

I went with Gearshade. Was more practical for my needs, I donā€™t want a mesh top on period, let alone a full time one like Jtop is designed to be. Velcroā€¦.nope. The gearshade goes on and off in no time on those blazing sunny days.

Ford Bronco Decision Paralysis - Which Mesh Top To Get 6F6DB5D0-0CBE-4FB3-BC69-83B7836C44FD

Sponsored
OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What's funny about this RC picture is it looks like this Bronco already has the fasteners installed for a Gear Shade top! šŸ˜‚
Yeah you're right. I guess they had to start somewhere. And not to change the subject but is that the Ford soundbar? The rear speakers get removed?

OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I almost threw my little PPF strips away, looked like shipping trash tossed in the box.

I went with Gearshade. Was more practical for my needs, I donā€™t want a mesh top on period, let alone a full time one like Jtop is designed to be. Velcroā€¦.nope. The gearshade goes on and off in no time on those blazing sunny days.

Ford Bronco Decision Paralysis - Which Mesh Top To Get 6F6DB5D0-0CBE-4FB3-BC69-83B7836C44FD
That's how I'm thinking I'll use it. I like they wear yours looks. You try to color match it?

OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update: I bought Mikec426's old Gearshade to try out. He went to JTops. Figured if I like it, I'll order myself a custom graphic version. Based on everyone's comments I feel I will prefer an easy to remove option without the velcro.

Thanks allot guys, enjoyed all the different perspectives. Sounds like there's no wrong answer, just preferences. I'm expecting it this week and will update with a snapshot. Let's keep this going though, I'm sure it'll help others

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd go with a cheapo first and if it was that bad, then go with gearshade or jtops. If you have 300+ to spend on a bimini, you have $50 to drop on a cheap test.

Personally, I'm not putting a strong velcro on the clear coat/paint (jtops) or drilling for gearshade (req for hardtop)
There's no drilling on the Gearshade install. Where did you get that?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That's how I'm thinking I'll use it. I like they wear yours looks. You try to color match it?
Thanks, @CUPRA did the design for me. Ya itā€™s a FE theme color match looks great in person hard to capture on phone. Hereā€™s from inside.

Ford Bronco Decision Paralysis - Which Mesh Top To Get 2B109B9A-77CC-44B2-9D77-2B9A88F47FCE
Sponsored