Sponsored

Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry we think differently.
I would buy one in a heartbeat .
It’s not a sorry, it’s ok to think differently and these are just us sharing opinions.

I’m a bit of a purist and am definitely in the minority here and everywhere when it comes to the purpose of vehicles.
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Of course the winners used the best off-roading combo (2dr, 2.7, auto), also what I have on order...the 4dr, 2.3, manual plus different trims/packages are available to sell to a wider market.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2 dr is for actual off-roading (king of the hammers winners were 2dr) but we need the 4 drs so Ford can sell Broncos to tons of folks and be profitable so they can keep making them...:LOL::LOL:
The good news is that the 4 door to 2 door ratio sales is not as 1 sided compared to the Wrangler so this is encouraging . I hope it stays this way.

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It’s not a sorry, it’s ok to think differently and these are just us sharing opinions.

I’m a bit of a purist and am definitely in the minority here and everywhere when it comes to the purpose of vehicles.
Due to your black-and-white vision of a vehicles purpose, doesn't being behind the wheel of a machine like the Bronco kind of bum you out? You must realize that a 2 door Bronco is a far cry from being a dedicated ORV. Many compromises needed to be made in in its design to provide a good mix of on road comfort and off road capability, and to keep the vehicle safe and street legal.

As a self-described purist, how do you reconcile with the fact that you choose a Bronco for off-roading and not a SxS?

Sponsored

TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2 dr is for actual off-roading (king of the hammers winners were 2dr) but we need the 4 drs so Ford can sell Broncos to tons of folks and be profitable so they can keep making them...:LOL::LOL:
There was a member here a few weeks ago that posted a video of a group of people doing some rock crawling on what appeared to be some serious terrain, and there were several clips of a 4 door getting over an obstacle with relative ease that a 2 door could not get over...I will see if I can find it.

Found it...Check out at the 10 minute mark...

Last edited:

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sound like what you want is the four-door, but you don't want the actual back doors. You want the space of a four-door, but you want passengers to have to squeeze behind the front seats to get into the back seat, and you want to have to work around the front seat to get at any cargo there.
[...]
Why? I don't get it, unless it's out of some purist notion that a Bronco should only have two doors, because all the previous versions only ever had to doors. If a bronco is going to be as big as the four-door Bronco is, I see no reason for it to not have four doors.
I recognize that you are writing this in a way to highlight that what I want is kind of dumb, but yes, I'll admit that this is 100% exactly what I want. :)

And I don't think that it is an unusual thing to want. The 2 door vs 4 door option has existed in the market for probably a century now, with people choosing to sacrifice the convenience of rear doors purely for looks when they select a coupe over a sedan. I like the looks of a 2-door and wouldn't mind losing rear doors for it. But taking away the trunk space and having a smaller fuel tank on top of that? That was just too much to sacrifice, so I went with a 4 door. If Ford ever builds a 2 door on the longer wheel base, I could see myself trading trading my Bronco in for it.

So Ford, will you please build the Bronco that I created in photoshop? And as long as I'm putting in special requests to Ford, could you please also put some effort into the seat sliders in my new larger 2 door, so it will be comparable to the mechanisms that you used to put in your older Bronco's?

I mean, Look at this cool hinged seat in the Bronco II that swung the seat forward and up. Why can't the new 2 door have that?
Bronco II infomercial

Or look at the double slider they used on the 5 generation bronco.
1996 Bronco Review

When I see the way Ford handled access to the rear seats on previous generations of Bronco, the design for the 6th generation 2 door just feels like plain laziness. They couldn't even bother to make the seat lock forward...

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recognize that you are writing this in a way to highlight that what I want is kind of dumb, but yes, I'll admit that this is 100% exactly what I want. :)

And I don't think that it is an unusual thing to want. The 2 door vs 4 door option has existed in the market for probably a century now, with people choosing to sacrifice the convenience of rear doors purely for looks when they select a coupe over a sedan.
I guess that's just not something I'm capable of getting. I'm the sort who cares more about practical usability than about meaningless cosmetics. I can see giving some weight to what one finds aesthetically pleasing, but I just cannot see sacrificing practical usability on that altar.

Having to get at the back seat area of a two-door vehicle is a very significant inconvenience, and I just cannot see accepting that inconvenience as the price for cosmetics' sake.

Reactions: Jdc

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And I don't think that it is an unusual thing to want. The 2 door vs 4 door option has existed in the market for probably a century now, with people choosing to sacrifice the convenience of rear doors purely for looks when they select a coupe over a sedan. I like the looks of a 2-door and wouldn't mind losing rear doors for it.
I get what you're saying, but the number of people (and therefore the market) for coupes and such is drastically, drastically smaller than it was just a couple decades ago.

There are people out there who still go for them (very few true new coupes available, though), but I would put that market share right around the take rate we see for 2-door jeeps, which was about 40% back in 2015, and I believe it's well under 20% currently, possibly even under 10%. I believe they are entirely discontinuing the 2-door wranglers in parts of Europe.

You also need to be honest with who is buying these less-practical vehicles (less practical for your typical family, that is). Collectors and enthusiasts largely, along with a smattering of people who do think it looks "better" but will most likely trade it in after a few years or perhaps sooner when nagging realities tend to set in.

And I do think nostalgia is a heck of a thing. Lots of us older people wanna be back with their friends at the drive-thru in their coupes and jeeps (at least in my area haha). I mean, all of my friends drove 2-door cars and stuff in high school; pushing back those seats to cram into the back was part of the fun. It's wicked fun to imagine those days again along with the vehicles that played admittedly large parts in those memories, but it also takes courage/maturity/whateveryouwannacallit to do what you need to do for your life situation.

And at the end of the day it's just a vehicle when there are people in the world who don't even know where their next meal is coming from, so do with it what you will.

OP
OP
CashOfLegend

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess that's just not something I'm capable of getting. I'm the sort who cares more about practical usability than about meaningless cosmetics. I can see giving some weight to what one finds aesthetically pleasing, but I just cannot see sacrificing practical usability on that altar.

Having to get at the back seat area of a two-door vehicle is a very significant inconvenience, and I just cannot see accepting that inconvenience as the price for cosmetics' sake.
and ~$3k on the price.

Ingress and Egress to the back seats for a vehicle that will be enjoyed by the whole family is the only reason I have decided to go 4 door. If I was just getting this as a fun daily just for me or toy. I would probably go 2 door due to the increased maneuverability and cost savings.

Aesthetics are in the eyes of the beer holder. ;)

It hit me last night that the price difference between a 4 door hardtop base, auto and a Everglades is a Maverick. That thought has really put things in perspective.

Last edited:

Sponsored

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A big factor for me, that I rarely see mentioned, is the fuel capacity. The 4 door can carry and extra 4 gallons... And as bad as our fuel efficiency is in these things, that extra 4 gallons is a big deal on road trips.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A big factor for me, that I rarely see mentioned, is the fuel capacity. The 4 door can carry and extra 4 gallons... And as bad as our fuel efficiency is in these things, that extra 4 gallons is a big deal on road trips.
My Badlands on 34” tires gets 20-21 mpg highway, 280+ miles with a 3 gallon reserve is plenty for me. Two door manual trans or nothing for me.
Sponsored