Sponsored

Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space?

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It comes down to this. What are you getting the Bronco for really?

This is in no way a family vehicle. Sure, there are obviously a ton of guys who want their cake and to eat it too and force a square into a round hole. Sort of akin to how I see people nowadays bringing kids to a damn bar.

However, the Bronco is for wheeling and Ford intentionally made it uncomfortable for most other pursuits including family hauling since you would rarely, if ever stuff 4 people into a truck to go wheeling or camping as thereā€˜s no room for gear for that many people minus a trailer.

So, for those who need a family station-wagon; you should get a station-wagonā€¦.. err an Explorer, or Tahoe, or any other dozen or so SUVs or crossovers for that crap. This is why the wifeā€™s vehicle is a Range Rover Sport; kids and crap.

The Bronco and Wrangler are for off roading, not getting groceries per se, or lattes at the coffee shop, or taking the entire team to soccer practice, so we can stop it already.

Honestly, most wheelers are looking at ways to delete the backseat since you generally only take 2, or maybe 3 people per vehicle in a group.

The 4 door would even be hard to take 4 people on a camping trip for longer than 2 days without a roof rack or trailer. Sure, Ford made it, but it was only to make money, not out of passion for what the vehicle is for.

Ford knows most wonā€™t ever take the Bronco to itā€™s comfort place in the dirt. Yesterday I saw some lady on YouTube fussing about wind noise on the highway. Bronco wasnā€™t made for the highway, thatā€™s what every other SUV is for and thatā€™s what her ass should have bought.

So are you a wheeler or something else? Answer that, and you have your 2 or 4 door answer.
Quoted for truth!!!
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get what you want, simple fact is there is more room in the back of a 4 doorā€¦especially if you are going to bring the size of your son into the equation. Putting someone who is 6ā€™7ā€ in the back of any Bronco seems like torture any way you look at it though.
At 6'7" any back seat in any midsized SUV is going to be tight.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is interesting how a curious dimensional observation has spurred so much vitriol about something so trivial as a counting of doors.
There ya go, looks like a 4 door for you, LOL.

Three models of Bronco:

Bronco
Bronco Bus
Bronco Sport

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you may be shopping for the wrong vehicle. Even a 4dr makes for a very compromised daily family driver. This is a very expensive toy that is going to cost you a bundle to operate .
But to each his own.
Why would this cost more to operate than an f150 or an explorer?

If you don't get it sasquatched it can get 20+ mpg and be comfortable for 4.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 4-door is gorgeous. It reminds me of the 80s Landcruisers. Side by side the 2-door looks poorly proportioned to me. I know I'm the opposite of almost everyone else.
C'mon, poorly proportioned? Prefer it or not, it's definitely not poorly proportioned.

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? b3370bd2728b59223201b97f343cef2d

You've got three almost equal body sections, fender, door, quarter. Glass panels have equal visual weight. Strong vertical line at the rear of the door that continues seamlessly to the roof. Look at the perfect spacing of the front and rear fenders at the bottom of the door. That's beautiful symmetry.

Now contrast that to the janky proportions of the BroncoWagon, with it's small rear door that looks like a poor Photoshop cut and paste, just look at the hot mess of intersections at the upper rear edge of the back door. The odd intersections of the door gaps with the pillars. I could go on and on how bad the design is compared to the 2-door.

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? img3260-1634679872554

Last edited:

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At 6'7" any back seat in any midsized SUV is going to be tight.
Yeah that's like the guy who complains about folks driving in the passing lane.....but drives 95mph everywhere he goes. If you drive 95 yes there's always going to be someone in your way lol.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I considered a 2 door because I do like the way they look, but there were just too many compromises. I have a family of 4 and I actually felt that the back seat was totally fine for my kids to ride in; the 2 door would have been great for taking my kids to school and running errands around town.

But while the trunk area is fine for groceries, it simply isn't up to the task of a weekend trip with my family. I mean, I measured my cooler and the one I have wouldn't even fit behind the rear seats, let alone provide the space needed on top of that for tents, camping chairs, tackle boxes, sleeping bags, ect. A Bronco that was unable to take my family camping for the weekend just didn't make sense to me. I guess its a good fit for empty nesters and single people.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but I wish that the smaller wheelbase version of the Bronco didn't exist. If Ford would have just built their 2 door version on the exact same longer wheelbase as the 4 door, then the 2 door would get the exact same larger rear bench seat, the bigger trunk, and the larger fuel tank. Here is a photoshop from the B&P comparing the current 2 door to what it would have looked like if they built it on the longer wheelbase. If they built the larger 2 door on the bottom, I would have bought one for sure.

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? img3260-1634679872554
Nice, I actually kinda like this version.

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After looking at the 2022 Tech sheet provided in the Everglades post I noticed something about the back seat of the Bronco. The 4 door only gets 0.6" more leg room than the 2 door. After looking at the Hip Room it seems the wheel base on the 4 door was about giving a wider seat with no more leg room.

This is a curious decision by Ford. This means all the extra possible passenger space goes to the storage area instead of to the passengers. With this information, other than those needing easier entrance and egress, would you still pony up for the 4 door? Further more, would you swap in a 2 door back seat into a 4 door giving you more second row legroom?

Thoughts to ponder.
After owning a 2 door Jeep Wrangler if you plan on having any back seat passengers, the 4 door is more convenient and less of an issue. I owned the 2 door for 1 month and quickly traded it in for a 4 door about 2 years ago. Trust me, pushing and sliding the seats forward every time someone gets in the back seat is a total pain in the rear. As well as the person trying to get in the back seat. My little granddaughter would hit her head or hurt her feet trying to squeeze in the back. I imagine would be no fun for a taller adult. That IMO is obviously why I prefer the 4 door. The 2door looks cool and all but not a great mix for 4 adults riding in as to when they have to get in and out of.

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

C'mon, poorly proportioned? Prefer it or not, it's definitely not poorly proportioned.

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? jeepside
It's the rear glass on the 2-door for me. It looks short and stretched. Jeep two doors look better because the rear glass isn't such a stretched Rectangle. The raised body section over the rear wheel squishes teh window on the 2-door and It looks odd.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I considered a 2 door because I do like the way they look, but there were just too many compromises. I have a family of 4 and I actually felt that the back seat was totally fine for my kids to ride in; the 2 door would have been great for taking my kids to school and running errands around town.

But while the trunk area is fine for groceries, it simply isn't up to the task of a weekend trip with my family. I mean, I measured my cooler and the one I have wouldn't even fit behind the rear seats, let alone provide the space needed on top of that for tents, camping chairs, tackle boxes, sleeping bags, ect. A Bronco that was unable to take my family camping for the weekend just didn't make sense to me. I guess its a good fit for empty nesters and single people.

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but I wish that the smaller wheelbase version of the Bronco didn't exist. If Ford would have just built their 2 door version on the exact same longer wheelbase as the 4 door, then the 2 door would get the exact same larger rear bench seat, the bigger trunk, and the larger fuel tank. Here is a photoshop from the B&P comparing the current 2 door to what it would have looked like if they built it on the longer wheelbase. If they built the larger 2 door on the bottom, I would have bought one for sure.

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? jeepside
Yeah, but ahh, no.

Seems youā€™re also missing the point of the vehicle. Bronco is for wheeling. You can take any SUV to the local normal camping spots. The Waggoner is about to be great for that and quite honestly, the Explorer Timberline or Bronco Sport handle camping duty just fine.

Bronco isnā€™t for packing the house up to go glamping to watch Netflix is a tent, itā€™s for going far out like in the very picture you used for the photoshop and a longer wheelbase is not what wheelers want. Short wheelbase means less to get hung up on when going over rocks and tree roots, etc.

You guys in the carpool line and weekend camp crowd with the kids literally have no fewer than 15 options. Bronco and Wrangler are for more serious and far out pursuits to places where I frankly will not go with the kids and often not the wife as this just increases my risk and responsibility when that far off grid.

The wifeā€™s SUV is for family camping. I even put more aggressive tires on her RR Sport for ā€just in caseā€.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are actually using the rear seats in a 2 door, all it can really handle is a day trip.
I'm going to stress this statement to the max in a few months with a 20 day family road trip. We'll see how much we hate each other by the end.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, but ahh, no.

Seems youā€™re also missing the point of the vehicle. Bronco is for wheeling. You can take any SUV to the local normal camping spots. The Waggoner is about to be great for that and quite honestly, the Explorer Timberline or Bronco Sport handle camping duty just fine.

Bronco isnā€™t for packing the house up to go glamping to watch Netflix is a tent, itā€™s for going far out like in the very picture you used for the photoshop and a longer wheelbase is not what wheelers want. Short wheelbase means less to get hung up on when going over rocks and tree roots, etc.

You guys in the carpool line and weekend camp crowd with the kids literally have no fewer than 15 options. Bronco and Wrangler are for more serious and far out pursuits to places where I frankly will not go with the kids and often not the wife as this just increases my risk and responsibility when that far off grid.

The wifeā€™s SUV is for family camping. I even put more aggressive tires on her RR Sport for ā€just in caseā€.
Stumbling upon this post like...
Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? pile
Sponsored