Sponsored

Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space?

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? Bronco

After looking at the 2022 Tech sheet provided in the Everglades post I noticed something about the back seat of the Bronco. The 4 door only gets 0.6" more leg room than the 2 door. After looking at the Hip Room it seems the wheel base on the 4 door was about giving a wider seat with no more leg room.

This is a curious decision by Ford. This means all the extra possible passenger space goes to the storage area instead of to the passengers. With this information, other than those needing easier entrance and egress, would you still pony up for the 4 door? Further more, would you swap in a 2 door back seat into a 4 door giving you more second row legroom?

Thoughts to ponder.
Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If we needed more storage and hauling room or planned to even semi-regularly use the 2nd row seating then the 4 door makes sense. The 2 door is harder to work in for running wire to rear compartment such as radio antennas and auxiliary lighting.

Without those wants/needs the 2 door (actually called the 3 door) is better looking, more nimble, more fun, handles better on sharp turn trails, matches better the historic Bronco theme, is more desirable, melts hearts faster and is probably what you want.

OP
OP
CashOfLegend

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the 4 door is also a 5 passenger vehicle (if that matters for you).
Not with the size of my family it isn't. LOL. Me - 6'5", SWMBO* - 5'8", Thing 1 - 6'7" (17 and still growing) and Thing 2 - 5'9" (14)

Oh and for reference I can sit behind myself on the passenger side without hitting the rear of the seat back with my knees.

* She Who Must Be Obeyed i.e. The Wife

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both have, in my opinion, sufficient leg room in the rear seats. The difference is in the cargo area and the ease of entry into the rear seats.

I much prefer the two door, but with trail gear, two Labradors, and the occasional rider the 4 door is pretty tempting.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Numbers may not be far off on paper but it's a big difference in real life.

Leg room is about the same, but the back of the 2 door feels claustrophobic. Because you sit in between the wheel wells you are right up against them and the only place to put your arm is in the cupholder which makes it pretty useless for a cup.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

After looking at the 2022 Tech sheet provided in the Everglades post I noticed something about the back seat of the Bronco. The 4 door only gets 0.6" more leg room than the 2 door. After looking at the Hip Room it seems the wheel base on the 4 door was about giving a wider seat with no more leg room.

This is a curious decision by Ford. This means all the extra possible passenger space goes to the storage area instead of to the passengers. With this information, other than those needing easier entrance and egress, would you still pony up for the 4 door? Further more, would you swap in a 2 door back seat into a 4 door giving you more second row legroom?

Thoughts to ponder.
The wider seat is much more comfortable for two rear passengers than the two door AND you can seat a third person which is impossible in the two door. You also need to be a Chinese gymnast to enter and exit the rear seats in the two door and once you're in, claustrophobia sets in with no windows that open. Having owned two 2 door Wranglers, I can tell you that putting passengers and luggage in the rear is a pain in the ass.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If I didn’t have teenage kids at home (13&14)I’d have went 2 door all the way. But as it’s a daily driver I wanted easy access to the rear seat. If they are still in production in 3-4 years maybe I’ll snag a 2 door.

Last edited:

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not with the size of my family it isn't. LOL. Me - 6'5", SWMBO* - 5'8", Thing 1 - 6'7" (17 and still growing) and Thing 2 - 5'9" (14)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post, but with a family that size, are you saying you're actually considering a 2-door Bronco???

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2-door seems Miata like, great fun, practical for nothing. If I had a 5-vehicle fleet, with a cruiser for the weekend it would be great. It will be my hunting and fishing rig, ice auger or fishing poles, minnow buckets, 5-gallon pails, a grain shovel, two dogs, maybe a place to sleep, and on a rare occasional hauling a second passenger.

Sponsored

imabadbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, BMW 3 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thoughts to ponder.
I’ve got 2 car seats and 3 kids - so the hip room was essential - it’s a tight fit still - but we love the Bronco

OP
OP
CashOfLegend

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post, but with a family that size, are you saying you're actually considering a 2-door Bronco???
You said the Bronco 4 door was a 5 seater, not with my family it isn't.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To answer your question, "would you pony up for a 4-door? Not just no, heck no!!

The rear seat is super roomy in the 2-door. Getting in and out is a different story. You're asking the question and trying to justify making the right choice (2-door of course). Just do it, your 17 year old should have already bought his own car with his own money anyway so take him out of the equation.

Pull the rear seats and make the 17 y/o cart around the 14 y/o.

Get the 2 door and be happy!!!

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2-door seems Miata like, great fun, practical for nothing. If I had a 5-vehicle fleet, with a cruiser for the weekend it would be great. It will be my hunting and fishing rig, ice auger or fishing poles, minnow buckets, 5-gallon pails, a grain shovel, two dogs, maybe a place to sleep, and on a rare occasional hauling a second passenger.
Feel exactly the same way. 2dr is great if you’re either 25, 65, or have a fleet of vehicles in your driveway.

TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You said the Bronco 4 door was a 5 seater, not with my family it isn't.
Get what you want, simple fact is there is more room in the back of a 4 door…especially if you are going to bring the size of your son into the equation. Putting someone who is 6’7” in the back of any Bronco seems like torture any way you look at it though.
Sponsored