Sponsored

Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space?

OP
OP
CashOfLegend

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh, I get it now. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I thought you were asking if a 2-door would be roomy enough for a family of very tall people compared to a 4-door. But what you were really saying was, I really want to get a 2-door, so would some of the obsessed 2-door fanboys please help me justify my plan. Ha ha, silly me. Carry on, then. Enjoy your new 2-door.
no I was pointing out a very interesting data point that most other vehicles donā€™t do.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how tiny and non practical the 2 door is
These are 100% factual descriptions. The 2dr wouldn't work for us as our main family vehicle. Still, I wouldn't change a thing, because it's mostly just for me.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate your positivity! At this point I am pondering benefits: convenience of the 4 door and rear storage vs the fun and maneuverability of the 2 door. The rear seat not having much leg room difference really does change the equation for me.
It comes down to this. What are you getting the Bronco for really?

This is in no way a family vehicle. Sure, there are obviously a ton of guys who want their cake and to eat it too and force a square into a round hole. Sort of akin to how I see people nowadays bringing kids to a damn bar.

However, the Bronco is for wheeling and Ford intentionally made it uncomfortable for most other pursuits including family hauling since you would rarely, if ever stuff 4 people into a truck to go wheeling or camping as thereā€˜s no room for gear for that many people minus a trailer.

So, for those who need a family station-wagon; you should get a station-wagonā€¦.. err an Explorer, or Tahoe, or any other dozen or so SUVs or crossovers for that crap. This is why the wifeā€™s vehicle is a Range Rover Sport; kids and crap.

The Bronco and Wrangler are for off roading, not getting groceries per se, or lattes at the coffee shop, or taking the entire team to soccer practice, so we can stop it already.

Honestly, most wheelers are looking at ways to delete the backseat since you generally only take 2, or maybe 3 people per vehicle in a group.

The 4 door would even be hard to take 4 people on a camping trip for longer than 2 days without a roof rack or trailer. Sure, Ford made it, but it was only to make money, not out of passion for what the vehicle is for.

Ford knows most wonā€™t ever take the Bronco to itā€™s comfort place in the dirt. Yesterday I saw some lady on YouTube fussing about wind noise on the highway. Bronco wasnā€™t made for the highway, thatā€™s what every other SUV is for and thatā€™s what her ass should have bought.

So are you a wheeler or something else? Answer that, and you have your 2 or 4 door answer.

OP
OP
CashOfLegend

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? ED74D641-42F6-4823-B3DD-C0DB922DDD3B

Lockers both ends. Not in the picture is my 66 CJ5 with factory V6 and hard top and the TJ. So am I a wheeler? Since you brought it up, you be the judge. But for the record this will be our secondary vehicle.

This is going to be the family fun vehicle. So as much as I find it conspicuously odd that rear leg room is practically the same in both, the extra storage will be helpful. Right now the OBX with rear lockers and high package has the lead, but I will wait till the Everglades hits the builder before an order is placed and the final decision is made.

It is interesting how a curious dimensional observation has spurred so much vitriol about something so trivial as a counting of doors.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Does the 4 doors even matter for passenger space? ED74D641-42F6-4823-B3DD-C0DB922DDD3B

After looking at the 2022 Tech sheet provided in the Everglades post I noticed something about the back seat of the Bronco. The 4 door only gets 0.6" more leg room than the 2 door. After looking at the Hip Room it seems the wheel base on the 4 door was about giving a wider seat with no more leg room.

This is a curious decision by Ford. This means all the extra possible passenger space goes to the storage area instead of to the passengers. With this information, other than those needing easier entrance and egress, would you still pony up for the 4 door? Further more, would you swap in a 2 door back seat into a 4 door giving you more second row legroom?

Thoughts to ponder.
I wonder how the back seat is mounted, and whether it would be feasible, to undo the stock mounting and devise a way to remount it farther back, trading cargo area for more legroom.

Not an important consideration for me. I need cargo room more than I need more back seat leg room. I suppose, thinking along the same lines, it could plausibly be worthwhile for me to consider doing the opposite, remounting the back seat farther forward, to get more cargo space in exchange for less legroom.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lockers both ends. Not in the picture is my 66 CJ5 with factory V6 and hard top and the TJ. So am I a wheeler? Since you brought it up, you be the judge. But for the record this will be our secondary vehicle.

This is going to be the family fun vehicle. So as much as I find it conspicuously odd that rear leg room is practically the same in both, the extra storage will be helpful. Right now the OBX with rear lockers and high package has the lead, but I will wait till the Everglades hits the builder before an order is placed and the final decision is made.

It is interesting how a curious dimensional observation has spurred so much vitriol about something so trivial as a counting of doors.
Itā€™s not really trivial. Ford revived a much loved classsic 2 DOOR adventure vehicle and put 2 extra doors on for the ā€œcomfort crowdā€.

Youā€™re actually right now on a forum dedicated to this vehicle and has thousands of members and posters daily. Maybe the entire thing is trivial to discuss, but here we are and youā€™re in here with us.

Owning of whatever vehicles means nothing. Folks buy whatever everyday; this is fine, that is until they get online and fuss about it for not being everything they think they need.

You didnā€™t have to tell us about how tall your family members are or that you have a family to begin with, so you wanted to start a discussion, thatā€™s what weā€™re here to do, so weā€™re discussing it. What on earth else would even be the point?

If or since you wheel, you know that the bigger the vehicle the bigger the compromises. As for passengers, the more weight, the harder to wheel, lower range, more likely to stress and break components, more people to worry about if things go sideways. This is why you usually only see 2 people in a vehicle; payload and space, issues.

Weā€™re just giving you the opinions youā€™ve asked for since you posted your thoughts on the internetsā€¦..

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After looking at the 2022 Tech sheet provided in the Everglades post I noticed something about the back seat of the Bronco. The 4 door only gets 0.6" more leg room than the 2 door. After looking at the Hip Room it seems the wheel base on the 4 door was about giving a wider seat with no more leg room.

This is a curious decision by Ford. This means all the extra possible passenger space goes to the storage area instead of to the passengers. With this information, other than those needing easier entrance and egress, would you still pony up for the 4 door? Further more, would you swap in a 2 door back seat into a 4 door giving you more second row legroom?

Thoughts to ponder.
Itā€™s not about the leg roomā€¦.never was.
Also, your whole post doesnā€™t make much sense, particularly the second to the last sentence. Not sure what youā€™re really asking.
Regardless, the 4 door remains the preferred Bronco by a wide margin for a variety of reasons, least of which is rear seat leg room since itā€™s virtually the same as the 2 door.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how the back seat is mounted, and whether it would be feasible, to undo the stock mounting and devise a way to remount it farther back, trading cargo area for more legroom.
Leg room is about the same, but the back of the 2 door feels claustrophobic. Because you sit in between the wheel wells you are right up against them and the only place to put your arm is in the cupholder which makes it pretty useless for a cup.
That probably kills that idea, then. So, the two-door's back seat must be narrower, to fit between the wheel wells, and that's surely where one might want to try to relocate the back seat in a four-door to get more leg room.

I suppose it might be possible to take out the stock back seat in a four-door, and install the back seat from a two-door, farther back. You'd be giving up hip room to get more leg room, but that might be OK if you have tall skinny passengers, or if you are content only to have two rather than three back seat passengers.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a two door sitting at ice mountain, if I had a family to haul around I would get the four door. Lucky for me it's just the wife and I. The two door is the true Bronco.
Call it true but the 4 door with the rear seats removed is were my mining and camping gear go and were I sleep .šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘Š

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've got my order in for a 4-dr Outer Banks. Checking out the "Build Your Bronco" web site, I see that the 2-dr front doors are longer than the 4-dr front doors. That can make a difference in ease of vehicle access if you're on old fart in a parking place at Safeway, or maybe even if you're a hotdog in a tight spot on a dusty trail somewhere near Moab. Jus' sayin'.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down
ATB

Sponsored

PhilS

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It only matters if your the one trying to contort yourself to get in the backseat of a two door.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i wanted a 4 door with 2 young kids occasionally going in the back. It's just easier for me and i wanted the extra cargo space if we do family trips in it

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would not be getting a Bronco if it was 4 door only... I also canā€™t understand why anyone would want one for a daily driver but I get it...kool fun street creed? But Ford gets it, offers the 4 door and sells the crap out of them. I need something upright for my back, want kinda comfy down the road that I can take the top off of and the bonus is getting back out on the rocks once and a while. It will be one of my two secondary drivers and actually not practical at all, just like the mustang it will replace and my Model A. All about fun!

Last edited:

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neither the 2D or 4D are "family vehicles", that's what an Excursion is for, we loved ours for that very purpose. We've been around 2D 66-77 broncos for the last 40y, and wouldn't have it any other way, 2D. We have a 14yo and an 18yo and they wouldn't have it any other way, climbing into the back seat is just the way it is lol. 2D daily driver with a car seat would be a PIA, I do have to agree there.

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 4 door rear seat reclines about an inch which helps. Then it also puts you away from the cross bar. Our son hit his head on it during the 2 door test drive ā€¦ finally hip room lets you sit with knees more diagonal, simulating more leg room.

It really is a world of differenceā€¦ But I get the benefit of a 2 door for wheeling.
Sponsored