First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the 2.7 and I don't see to get better than 16.7 mpg around town. I do leave in a hilly area, but nothing close to 18 mog. I am running the car in Regular, and the only thing that has happened twice now, is that if I merge onto a highway while in ECO and really step on it, the engine started misfiring, runs rough and as soon as I go back to normal, it clear and keeps working like nothing. First time took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything.
Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know exactly what the ECO mode does to try to save fuel? I would guess that the scale of the gas pedal is artificially altered, so the amount of throttle delivered is less than the actual position you are pressing the pedal with your foot. I would also guess that the wastegate is controlled to open slower and deliver less boost across the board.

Is that about right? Is there anything else that it does?
This is the best graphic I have seen.

1603631157979.png

It seems that between the 3 settings of 'soft', 'normal', and 'aggressive'... for ECO mode, it sets throttle response, transmission shift points, and steering response all to 'soft'. It is also the only mode that appears to close the grille air dam. These combine for a total composite score of 'unfun'. 😴

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just did a 50 mile highway trip on eco mode. I got it up to 22mpg with speeds between 60mph and 70mph. Though I don't trust that mpg number anymore as I've realized my speedo is off by about 1.5 mph compared to GPS. Best I got in normal mode with a similar route was 21.5mpg.
I drive "poorly" using sport mode, and this was a stretch from Corpus Christi to San Angelo tonight; including one running fuel, rest, and drink stop (about 10 minutes). Average speed including the stop was 76.5 mph. MPG 22.5, speedo is pretty much on target with my GPS.

Ford Bronco Dreaded ECO GOAT mode?? IMG_20220614_222855

Mileage calculator usually agrees with the tank within a fairly tight range. I am pretty happy that this brick can pull 22.5 mpg @ 80 mph sustained.

Brewdaddy

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Now sold - thanks Carvana)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have driven over 3,000 miles from MI to Seattle and now back to SD. Used Eco mode and much of MT is 80mph speed limit. 2.7L engine, getting 17.2 mpg.

BigTex22

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4WD, 2021 BMW 430i Conv
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve been using eco mode on my FE the past few weeks. Mix of local and highway driving got me 17mpg before and 19.5 mpg now.

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been getting between 17-18ish MPG in the Wildtrak. Even setting the cruise at 78 on the freeway with Eco mode it still didn't give me a lot better mileage...then again, I was set at almost 80 and I know that guzzles gas anyway.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anyone else find themselves using the dreaded Eco goat mode now with the way gas prices are? If so, have you seen a significant improvement in MPG?

Just wondering, I've just started switching to Eco and waiting to see the results.
Not concerned about mpg.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've played with it, but for $4.50 a week difference (assuming 3 gallons saved on a full tank, one fill up per week, 1.50 $/gal price delta), I'd rather have the crisper response of normal or sport. If you really want to save gas, slow down 5 MPH on the highway. (Note, I don't follow my own advice)

My local pub owner takes the brunt of this gas crisis, I now swap out one high dollar IPA for a PBR on special to cover my increased fuel costs every week.

Reactions: FFF

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've flipped between Eco, Normal, and Sport modes over 2400 miles so far. Eco is not very fun, I agree. But Sport is too Nissan-y for my tastes. By that I mean that the throttle response is twitchy and unnatural, just like all Nissans used to be. Trying too hard to be fun and not getting it right. Just not fun to drive when you don't have a good linear throttle pedal. Normal really is just right, in my opinion. I suppose if I really were trying to go fast I'd appreciate Sport, but I don't find that to be the case so far.

I should add that I have a manual transmission, so I can select the gear I want at any time, so I don't think Sport mode is as important for me.

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I realize this is an ECO GOAT question, however does any know why the NORMAL GOAT mode sometimes picks 4A while other times it picks 2H?

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I realize this is an ECO GOAT question, however does any know why the NORMAL GOAT mode sometimes picks 4A while other times it picks 2H?
Does Normal mode "pick" 4A? Or does it just leave it in 4A if you return to Normal from another mode (e.g. Sport) that had previously chosen 4A?
Sponsored