Sponsored

Dump $8k into a Base or Trade for BaseSquatch?

WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dumb question of the day, but let's imagine I have a 2022 4-door base hardtop I could trade for a new 2023 basesquatch for an added $8k. Builds are completely the same except year, color (A51 to Cactus Gray) and the Squatch package.

Would $8k be better spent on building out the non-Squatch or am I crazy to even consider this? Use case would be for general travel and overland camping, winter skiing, and Moab/Southern Utah trails. The potential the Squatch offers for more capability off pavement is what really has me leaning that direction, but, if I am honest, it may be overkill for 98% of what I need. I currently have no experience with more technical rock crawling.

With stock gearing, I would only go up to 33s on the base and add a 2" lift. Also add new wheels, a roof rack, aftermarket bumper, skid plates, and maybe eventually an air locker on the rear. I like the idea of customizing to create something unique, but getting a Squatch hardtop in 2023 is not to be trifled with.

Where would you put the money? New basesquatch or aftermarket build on what I currently have? Best case would be to keep both, but I want at least some of my wife's respect! I could also private party sell the A51 base, now or later, but not sure if the market is still holding.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
So your thoughts are throwing $8k at the Base, and still having the 3.73 gearing, no front locker, no advance 4wd, and the weaker front axles? If so, a Hard NO.

Sponsored

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Trade. Gearing, axles and M210 front diff are huge upgrades. When I was looking into all my options awhile back I priced out just upgrading the front axle on a BD to the M210 and it was over $4k.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dumb question of the day, but let's imagine I have a 2022 4-door base hardtop I could trade for a new 2023 basesquatch for an added $8k. Builds are completely the same except year, color (A51 to Cactus Gray) and the Squatch package.

Would $8k be better spent on building out the non-Squatch or am I crazy to even consider this? Use case would be for general travel and overland camping, winter skiing, and Moab/Southern Utah trails. The potential the Squatch offers for more capability off pavement is what really has me leaning that direction, but, if I am honest, it may be overkill for 98% of what I need. I currently have no experience with more technical rock crawling.

With stock gearing, I would only go up to 33s on the base and add a 2" lift. Also add new wheels, a roof rack, aftermarket bumper, skid plates, and maybe eventually an air locker on the rear. I like the idea of customizing to create something unique, but getting a Squatch hardtop in 2023 is not to be trifled with.

Where would you put the money? New basesquatch or aftermarket build on what I currently have? Best case would be to keep both, but I want at least some of my wife's respect! I could also private party sell the A51 base, now or later, but not sure if the market is still holding.
Hey VilVis,
Never a dumb question. I would take your 8K and dump it into your base. You will get a way bigger bang for your buck than going the Ford route. Plus you will end up with a very unique Bronco, rather than a run of the mill Basesquatch. IMHO...

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Base

Sponsored

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm with everyone saying upgrade to basesquatch. Another thing to consider is you're getting a newer model year with no mileage, so I think $8k is a pretty good deal.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey VilVis,
Never a dumb question. I would take your 8K and dump it into your base. You will get a way bigger bang for your buck than going the Ford route. Plus you will end up with a very unique Bronco, rather than a run of the mill Basesquatch. IMHO...
Nothing “run of the mill” about a BaseSquatch!

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can have a better suspension and wheels / tires for significantly less than $8k on the base. Yeah you’re missing out on the lockers but it’s still an extremely capable machine.

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can have a better suspension and wheels / tires for significantly less than $8k on the base. Yeah you’re missing out on the lockers but it’s still an extremely capable machine.
Not just lockers, but gearing as well. For me gearing was something I didn't want to pass up because I knew I would want it down the road.