Sponsored

Dump $8k into a Base or Trade for BaseSquatch?

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’d never considered your last statement, but it makes logical sense in this climate (I’m not in favor, but it makes sense). If they added locker as an available option to Base, that’d keep the howling down (one, maybe two decibels). It’d sure change the Bronco universe as we’ve come to know it. Might result in the following trim levels like some members have suggested:

Bronco (just Bronco, combines Base and Big Bend) No SQ
Badlands (Optional swaybar disco, combine BL & BD) SQ Available.
Outerbanks - Squatch Available
Wildtrak (Hoss 3.0 Glory)
Special Trims
I think you’re spot on with what Ford is looking at, fewer trims and more available option packages. Ford‘s current offerings were put together when constraints weren’t as big an issue and they rigged the B&P to force you to higher more expensive, profitable trims to get an option you wanted even though you didn’t need a lot of the other extras. For example, how many people upgraded to Badlands from BD just to get a manual tranny with mid even though they didn’t need front lockers or stabar disco?

With reservations and price protection out of the way, Ford can rethink how they distribute options, trims and packages to get a higher number of buildable orders at higher prices and more profit .
Sponsored

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unless you’re wanting to wheel it on really hard stuff you’ll be happy with how it does on 33s and 2 inch lift. That’s what I have. Base non sas

Ford Bronco Dump $8k into a Base or Trade for BaseSquatch? 5602436A-4836-4BA1-A841-42E41F6DB2D4

Last edited:
OP
OP
WilVis

WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the feedback. I knew the brain trust on Bronco6G would have some excellent input. As it stands right now, I think the Squatch is the plan based on the following points articulated in the responses:

- Factory gearing and lockers under warranty. I won't ever be in a position to wish I had the extra capability.
- I didn't realize the Squatch had an upgraded front axle. This is appealing.
- Advance 4x4 is great for winter, especially when my wife is driving. I have auto 4x4 on my RAM truck and I use it frequently.
- I plan to keep the vehicle for as long as possible, however if I need to sell, the 2023 Squatch resell is likely to be better even years down the road.
- I hadn't considered the Basesquatch may go away in 2024. This is a big one. I don't want to kick myself if I decide I want a Squatch down the road.
- Cactus Gray looks great and matches my FX4 Maverick.
- Sticker side badge is worth $2k at least. ; )

The obvious downside besides cost is fuel economy as mentioned, however with 33s my base will take a hit anyway. Right now I am enjoying 22 mpg.

Part of the issue is I have grown to love the base and have Bronco acquisition syndrome, but I think once I finalize the Squatch, it will be the right move. Hopefully delivery will be in a week or two. The base has been fantastic and is very capable. I would be completely happy with it. What is the saying "comparison is the thief of joy" or whatever my mom said?!

Thanks for listening as my wife is sick of hearing about this. (She votes for the Squatch. She's the smart one.)

OP
OP
WilVis

WilVis

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Sasquatch hasn’t even seen gravel yet. I love it. I’ve seen seen some videos of hardcore wheeling that the locals are doing around here. Hard no. My intended use is hunting along with recreational wheeling on forest service and BLM roads. I’m still very happy to have Sasquatch. I’d trade.
Glad to hear you are loving the Squatch even without fully wheeling. This would be more my use for most of the time. Eventually would like to do a couple dedicated off-road trips. My brother and cousin are into off-road so I would have a fun group to join.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As he said many times - hes not rock crawling - he will NEVEER need that stuff
He's not rock crawling... now. But he lives in close proximity to the exact environment that a Sas would be nice. If he lived in Iowa I'd say no. But Colorado? Sas for sure.

Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm team Base and in the same boat. I looked at the Sastquach and, well, I'm no @justinbmcbride and anything I do off road is a lot less than what my Base can handle.

Now, that said, I am thinking of adding rear lockers, because why not. Bit that's a far future project.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Meh - speculation.
Im with him, fire roads, BLM roads - I dont want to "rock crawl". It doesnt look fun. Its like watching your new car that you spent a ton of money on and waited years for - s..l..o...w...l...y... get scraped up and broken. I dont feel a "sense of accomplishment" by "making it over" a big rock.
+ most of the videos I see people doing it... look a little redneckey. just sayin'.
He wants to do family camping.
I think you're projecting. Have you lived in the West? Ain't the same as where you're at. Not at all.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you can swing it go sas have warranty and enjoy life!!

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco is a gift for my wife, we don't even plan on wheeling it and when Ford asked to removed the SAS, I didn't do it (it was scheduled for production a week later...). You can't replicate the SAS for $8k of aftermarket installation.
Repeat after me: "my Bronco has the SASQUATCH package!" Priceless!

Sponsored

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+ Dont get a winch, you dont need it. If you get stuck, there are plenty of Bronco owners with winches they never use that will get all excited to pull you out.
But what if those guys took your advice too and now nobody has winches???

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

But what if those guys took your advice too and now nobody has winches???
Flag down a Jeep - it will be humilliating for the 15 minutes when ur getting pulled out, but not as bad as driving around with a winch on the front of your truck "just in case" while stuck in traffic

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TLDR: The $8k difference up front will get you the very expensive to replace items with a Factory Warranty. You should do the trade. I've got $6k worth of upgrades already and haven't even touched the axles, lockers or transfer case.

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flag down a Jeep - it will be humilliating for the 15 minutes when ur getting pulled out, but not as bad as driving around with a winch on the front of your truck "just in case" while stuck in traffic
I've been there but at least it was another Bronco owner excited to finally use his winch like you said :LOL:

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Meh - speculation.
Im with him, fire roads, BLM roads - I dont want to "rock crawl". It doesnt look fun. Its like watching your new car that you spent a ton of money on and waited years for - s..l..o...w...l...y... get scraped up and broken. I dont feel a "sense of accomplishment" by "making it over" a big rock.
+ most of the videos I see people doing it... look a little redneckey. just sayin'.
He wants to do family camping.

Uhmm....we call it Overlanding. Camping is what you do in a Honda Element 🤣
Sponsored