Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree that you don’t need it.
I lived in Boston for five years, with wind chills in below 0F and never had to use it. ( full disclosure not sure when exactly I would/should use it).

As for the engine oil. As long as you don’t drive her a couple of miles in sub freezing temperatures every day the oil will do its job.

Enjoy
objects do not see wind chill values, they do not drop below actual air temp. people "feel" wind chill values because we generate heat and the wind removes heat faster by not allowing an air layer to set up around us thus making it "feel" colder than it actually is. but a sitting vehicle...nope.
Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

objects do not see wind chill values, they do not drop below actual air temp. people "feel" wind chill values because we generate heat and the wind removes heat faster by not allowing an air layer to set up around us thus making it "feel" colder than it actually is. but a sitting vehicle...nope.
Thank you for pointing that out, I didn’t know that ?

And that was your knowledge moment sponsored by Ford

Ford Bronco Engine Block Heater value? 1611681600521

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like I said, you don’t really need to use it unless it is extremely cold, but if you have one, it will reduce wear and tear on cold starts below 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

It does get below -20 at times in Michigan, and below 5 for a week or so just about every year. I’m getting it because I know I’ll use it during those times. Also, my Jeep has started just fine in -25 degree weather and colder (-40 with windchill), but it doesn’t mean that it was good for the engine long term.

Do I need it? No. Will I use it? Yes. Will it help with engine longevity? Yes.

If I use it five times a year, for the next five years (the minimum amount of time this will be my sole daily driver), it’s less than $5 per use. It’s really not a big deal in the grand scheme.
I forget my F350 has a block heater so it never gets used. It was standard equipment for the 6.7 Powerstroke.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sooo I’m confused. Does this heat the oil in the sump, or the coolant in the radiator? I always thought they heated the engine oil. Never heard of anyone ever using one for gas in Mass.

If it DOES heat coolant up that much ao you have heat I actually may add it myself and use it.
Heats the coolant.

If you're looking for it to just blow warm air in the cabin as soon as you start your car you'll be disappointed. It still takes some time.

If you're looking to have a warm cabin you want something like this:https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...Z20mNuFLQaAosjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=358

Where I live, if it's cold enough to need to plug in, it's cold enough that a block heater won't heat things enough for your cabin to be nice and cozy any time quick. It's for easier starting and less wear and tear.... Not so much for comfort.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you ever think you might need it, get it. If you're in FL and visit up North, you probably won't ever miss it. In the PNW, I won't use it often, but it's sure nice to have it when I want it.

Sponsored

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Plan to avoid. Live in Maine, have never needed one yet....and my vehicles are outside all the time.

OP
OP
tyrobronco

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all for the info and thoughts...

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

N
Hey Hive Mind -
I did search the forums and couldn't find a sustained conversation about the Engine Block Heater.

From my limited understanding:
Pro: Heating up the engine before driving helps it run more efficient
Faster to get heat on
Gets oil moving

Con: $100

For now, I do live in Florida (unneeded 99.7% of the time) but do plan on driving in the north/west where snow does happen (1% of the time over the first 3 years of ownership).

Is this option worth getting? Do I get the cord with it or do they just put the heater inside and it is another $60-100 for the cord?

Thanks for sharing you knowledge.
No. I live in Canada and have (almost) never used the block heater in my vehicles. Even when it drops down to -35C (-31F), which in winter is not infrequently. Never had a problem starting.
Sponsored