First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately I did not notice an initial improvement in rev hang. I share your thoughts on this. Once that turbo gets spinnin' it really doesn't want to stop forced induction explosion goodness. I will keep this in mind to see if I notice an improvement over time. My guess is the rev hang is here for the long haul.
Let us know what you find. Hope it’s better than stock….
Sponsored

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this may be a dumb question so bear with me; why wouldnt Ford just tune them like this from the factory? Why does it require an add-on to make the drive more enjoyable?
I imagine with the performance tune overall MPGs would go down, which would look worse on the window sticker. As others have suggested it probably also has to do with longevity of the turbo as well as minimum octane recommendation. Ultimately though I think it comes down to MPGs.

I want to get this tune specifically for the rev matching.

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've got the Outerbanks (2.3 Auto) with the 4.27 final drive and I am running 37x12.5R17

I finally got mine successfully installed on Monday (10/17). It was delivered on 10/12 but lots of issues with initial attempts to install (and no I didn't go to my dealer, I self-installed).

The first issue was ProCal unit was stuck in "reading" when trying to grab the stock config. The next issue was my endpoint security allowing some versions to install while others where instantly deleted. The last issue was some confusion on the ProCal where it thought it backup my stock config, when in fact it didn't and It wouldn't allow me to download the Ford Performance Calibration.

Ford Performance did fix the initial problem with a few software updates. The first version was 2.94.8, then 2.94.9, then 2.94.9001, and finally 2.95.0. To get around my endpoint security, I had to resurrect an old PC. For the last issue, I had to ask Ford Performance to break the VIN lock of the unit. Once they did that I just started over and everything worked fine.

The stock backup up took a couple of minutes.
The download of the new Calibration took 10 minutes (which included me walking from the car to the computer)
The install of the new Calibration took 15 (maybe 20).

Prior to the Calibration, I had Ford Performance exhaust and K&N CAI (https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/ford/bronco/2.3l-l4-gas/2021) and I have only been running 91/93. I don't think the exhaust did anything to improve performance but I know the K&N did. The combination of the intake plus the Ford Performance Tune seems to really wake up the Bronco. One day, I will get a 0-60 time. I think my old time was 8.9s

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the Ford procal on my Mustang. You could really feel the extra HP in the upper RPM's, made the car a blast to drive. I can't wait for carb to approve the 2022 MY.

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had no idea this tune could add rev match, that's a nice option for a DD bronco. A concern I have with this tune putting more boost in the low range is the truck is now relying even more so on the turbos to move, even just putting around the city. MPG drop will likely reflect this as well.

It's one of the reasons I decided to change my order to the 2.7l, I'd rather the engine do the heavy lifting and the turbos assist than the other way around (not saying it's a great reason, just mine since I've never owned a turbo). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong to think this.

Sponsored
OP
OP
theentirety

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had no idea this tune could add rev match, that's a nice option for a DD bronco. A concern I have with this tune putting more boost in the low range is the truck is now relying even more so on the turbos to move, even just putting around the city. MPG drop will likely reflect this as well.

It's one of the reasons I decided to change my order to the 2.7l, I'd rather the engine do the heavy lifting and the turbos assist than the other way around (not saying it's a great reason, just mine since I've never owned a turbo). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong to think this.
I'm no expert, but I think you're totally correct. I also think it's funny that people considering a performance upgrade are also worried about fuel economy. Gotta give a little to get a little. That said, modern turbo tech has come a long way from the JDM turbo sports cars of the 90s with turbos that failed every 10-20k miles and engines are much better at handling forced induction generally.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Specs:
  • 2021 MY
  • Cyber Orange
  • 2-door
  • Manual transmission
  • Badlands
  • Mid package
  • Stock wheels 33"
  • About 4k miles
  • Always run 91 octane (California)
  • Several cosmetic, lighting, comfort and security mods
Timeline:
  • Ordered from Lethal Performance Oct 5
  • ProCal unit delivered Oct 13
  • Installed by Mossy Ford of Pacific Beach Oct 18
    • Originally I brought it in for install on Saturday Oct 15, but was told I needed to reschedule during the week as the shop foreman was the only one authorized to do the installation.
    • Charged for 1 hour of labor
    • I could have flashed it myself, but according to Ford, the warranty is only preserved if it's installed by an authorized dealer. I erred on the side of caution since it's a first model year vehicle and warranties are good.
Installation:

This is the first time I've used a factory tune and it was an easy process. As a Mac guy, I had to jump through a few extra hoops as the software is Windows only. I dropped off the truck early in the morning and the service rep was familiar with the tune; he had it on his Ranger and vouched for the performance improvements. The ProCal unit gets tied to the VIN and the pre-flash tune gets uploaded to "the cloud" for safe keeping. I had to register the ProCal with my Ford Performance account using the included code. This then gives you a link to download the software (if you're on a PC). I had to get the tech the software another way, which worked fine. A few hours later they said it was installed.

Driving Impressions:

The first thing I did was activate the rev matching feature to verify the tune was installed. Super easy process and I'm a fan of auto rev matching for MTs, especially for casual driving. It really smooths out the day-to-day driving by alleviating the need for me to do the blipping on down shift. It's not a performance vehicle; I'll save the heel-toe for my Camaro on track days, thank you very much.

I drove it on a long-ish highway drive and around town. I noticed a few things right away. The boost seems to come on at lower RPMs making the turbo feel less laggy. For me, this equates to a smoother acceleration through the mid-range and more eagerness to wring it out a bit. I'll have to give it some more time, but it feels a bit more peppy. I would say, though, that the tune makes it feel more progressive through the revs, more than you really feel the horsepower and torque improvements.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that keeps the warranty in place, smoothing out the power delivery of the 2.3. The throttle response does seem better requiring less depression of the pedal for the juice to flow. I'm a fan.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-B23
Is rev matching only for downshifts or also upshifts?

OP
OP
theentirety

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is rev matching only for downshifts or also upshifts?
It should help with both. It should hold the rpm at the optimal level on upshifts so that it doesn't drop too much I would think. That's what it does in my Camaro when engaged. It will match the rpm on upshift too smoothing out the shifting across the board.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got the Outerbanks (2.3 Auto) with the 4.27 final drive and I am running 37x12.5R17

I finally got mine successfully installed on Monday (10/17). It was delivered on 10/12 but lots of issues with initial attempts to install (and no I didn't go to my dealer, I self-installed).

The first issue was ProCal unit was stuck in "reading" when trying to grab the stock config. The next issue was my endpoint security allowing some versions to install while others where instantly deleted. The last issue was some confusion on the ProCal where it thought it backup my stock config, when in fact it didn't and It wouldn't allow me to download the Ford Performance Calibration.

Ford Performance did fix the initial problem with a few software updates. The first version was 2.94.8, then 2.94.9, then 2.94.9001, and finally 2.95.0. To get around my endpoint security, I had to resurrect an old PC. For the last issue, I had to ask Ford Performance to break the VIN lock of the unit. Once they did that I just started over and everything worked fine.

The stock backup up took a couple of minutes.
The download of the new Calibration took 10 minutes (which included me walking from the car to the computer)
The install of the new Calibration took 15 (maybe 20).

Prior to the Calibration, I had Ford Performance exhaust and K&N CAI (https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/ford/bronco/2.3l-l4-gas/2021) and I have only been running 91/93. I don't think the exhaust did anything to improve performance but I know the K&N did. The combination of the intake plus the Ford Performance Tune seems to really wake up the Bronco. One day, I will get a 0-60 time. I think my old time was 8.9s
This must be the same issues they are having with mine. I took my bronco in today for the second time and they still haven't gotten it installed successfully. Shame on Ford Performance for the poor programming and lack of testing this install using normal dealer tools and procedure.

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It should help with both. It should hold the rpm at the optimal level on upshifts so that it doesn't drop too much I would think. That's what it does in my Camaro when engaged. It will match the rpm on upshift too smoothing out the shifting across the board.
Ok thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking as it should make it not really needed to blip throttle when going through gears up or down. I think this is the main reason I'm looking forward to getting the tune on my bronco. I already put premium only in it so that won't matter to me to pay the difference.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yup, there's no replacement for displacement - mash the throttle and FEEL the raw power of all ~165 of those cubic inches in that fire breathing V-6! :LOL: It's like a hemi, bro!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
As it causes the vehicle to require premium fuel, I personally don't see the value but can appreciate that there are many that do. I'm sure the change in fuel mapping to allow for more cylinder pressure and heat is responsible for much of the peppiness of the vehicle.

OP
OP
theentirety

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking as it should make it not really needed to blip throttle when going through gears up or down. I think this is the main reason I'm looking forward to getting the tune on my bronco. I already put premium only in it so that won't matter to me to pay the difference.
I just went out for a drive and tested the upshift rev matching. It does indeed hold the revs on a slow shift making sure they are matched when you finally let the clutch out.

OP
OP
theentirety

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed this tune over the weekend and really am thrilled with it. I immediately noticed that it fixed the rev hang completely (I hated the rev hang). So upshifts with no rev hang and downshifts with the throttle blip make what was a good MT absolutely great. Then on the HP/torque side…. 1st gear no longer feels “hollow”, second gear is a blast now, and it tugs a good bit harder in 5th. I am a happy camper. Thank you Lethal Performance!
After another drive I will agree with you that it fixes the rev hang when you're really on it and shift at higher rpm. It still rev hangs a bit when you short shift it after brisk acceleration, but generally it is improved.
Sponsored