Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there a plug and play harness that works with the halogen taillights, I want to be able to flat tow my Bronco? At this point I don't even mind moving a few pins if that'll do the trick, I just don't want to splice anything. thanks
Sponsored

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is there a plug and play harness that works with the halogen taillights, I want to be able to flat tow my Bronco? At this point I don't even mind moving a few pins if that'll do the trick, I just don't want to splice anything. thanks
Not officially. The Curt one might work after repinning, but I was worried that the integrated diodes they used wouldn't support the potentially higher current pulled by the incandescent bulbs.

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not officially. The Curt one might work after repinning, but I was worried that the integrated diodes they used wouldn't support the potentially higher current pulled by the incandescent bulbs.
Thanks, I guess I'll wait.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone used the NSA surge braking system to get around the EBB shutdown?

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-news-nsa-new-products-2011.aspx
Unfortunately that product still applies pressure to the Bronco’s brake pedal and will have the same issue as any other auxiliary brake system when the EBB shuts down; that being not enough pressure being applied to the Bronco brake pedal to effectively stop the Bronco.

Edit: Looking at it again maybe it would work since the more force that’s applied to the surge system the more force is applied to the Bronco brake pedal.

From your link:

How the Ready Brake Works
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? NSA_readybrake_animation

When you apply your motor home's brakes, your towed vehicle surges forward and activates the Ready Brake's actuating arm. This in turn pulls the aircraft cable that is attached to your dinghy's brake pedal, causing the dinghy to slow down and stop in time with your RV.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunately that product still applies pressure to the Bronco’s brake pedal and will have the same issue as any other auxiliary brake system when the EBB shuts down; that being not enough pressure being applied to the Bronco brake pedal to effectively stop the Bronco.

Edit: Looking at it again maybe it would work since the more force that’s applied to the surge system the more force is applied to the Bronco brake pedal.

From your link:

How the Ready Brake Works
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? NSA_readybrake_animation

When you apply your motor home's brakes, your towed vehicle surges forward and activates the Ready Brake's actuating arm. This in turn pulls the aircraft cable that is attached to your dinghy's brake pedal, causing the dinghy to slow down and stop in time with your RV.
Not a fan, but if I did not already have an installed brake system I would be looking real close. It will work with or without boost. Will stop with less force on the hitch when boost is on and more force needed when boost is off.

BTW my Rube Goldberg door locker is working great. Don't have to thing about it, it just works.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a fan, but if I did not already have an installed brake system I would be looking real close. It will work with or without boost. Will stop with less force on the hitch when boost is on and more force needed when boost is off.

BTW my Rube Goldberg door locker is working great. Don't have to thing about it, it just works.
I guess my hesitation for that system is created by the fact it’s been out for 10+ years, is economical, seems pretty universal yet it hasn’t taken over a significant portion of the auxiliary brake system market share which leads me to believe there must be some sort of downside to it. I towed boat trailers with surge brakes for years and they work great on boats up to 8,000# so I don’t see why the system wouldn‘t work well on a Bronco but my inner voice tells me there’s a downside….. That plus the fact I’ve given my installer a pretty hefty deposit on an Air Force 1 system and will get it installed if my Bronco ever makes it from the rail yard in the SF Bay Area to Reno.

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 OBX 4Door (wife's), 07 Silverado 2500 LTZ 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A big difference between this and a boat trailer system is that the tongue force drives a master cylinder that hydraulically drives the caliper in a closed system. The ready brake is a little more complicated, invoking cables. It has some upside, and I'm not hating on it, but it is different than a typical trailer surge brake system.

If you have air brakes then the air force 1 is a no brainer in my mind. It is directly driven by the coach in proportion to the coach brake pressure.

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm using the NSA system. Works good for me. Haven't lost the Bronco yet. 😂 I've got the 2.3. Don't really know about EBB.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got some strange messages when switching out of Tow Mode today. Have been on the road for two days, spending one night at Walmart without disconnecting. I opened the door at Walmart's just to check. Got the In Tow Mode message. When I arrived at my current location the first thing I noticed was I did not get any message when I opened the door. When I pressed the start button without pressing the brake it did show the In Tow Mode message. Pressed the brake pedal for 7 seconds then shifted from Neutral to Park. The 4H light came on in the dash and on the GOAT Mode control knob, the wrench symbol come on and got the message need service soon. Started it up and drove it around a bit and everything cleared up. Any one else seen this?
Just looked at my Ford Pass Account and I just started getting REMOTE FEATURES DISABLED has entered deep sleep mode messages.

Last edited:

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got some strange messages when switching out of Tow Mode today. Have been on the road for two days, spending one night at Walmart without disconnecting. I opened the door at Walmart's just to check. Got the In Tow Mode message. When I arrived at my current location the first thing I noticed was I did not get any message when I opened the door. When I pressed the start button without pressing the brake it did show the In Tow Mode message. Pressed the brake pedal for 7 seconds then shifted from Neutral to Park. The 4H light came on in the dash and on the GOAT Mode control knob, the wrench symbol come on and got the message need service soon. Started it up and drove it around a bit and everything cleared up. Any one else seen this?
We have only gone through the connect/disconnect cycle twice and haven't encountered any signs of a problem yet like you describe. We did notice a burnt plastic odor when driving after towing it the first time (150 miles), but it didn't happen the second.

I have been confused by the check brake message which I think comes up on the dash once you get back in the bronco after towing it a while. I think it is telling me something about checking the auxiliary brake system, which I think is a little little stupid.

Since there is no regular parking break handle or pedal, it makes me nervous. I have always pushed our towed vehicles to lock the tow bar, test the neutral and parking brake, so I feel OK about it. I would prefer that the bronco wouldn't say anything about a brake unless there is a problem.

I prefer the old days when you put the transfer case in neutral manually and could visually confirm the brake is off. Leave the key on, pull some fuses and relays and it was good to go. This automatic stuff requires a leap of faith I have trouble taking with a $50k truck!!!

We have a 2.3.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have only gone through the connect/disconnect cycle twice and haven't encountered any signs of a problem yet like you describe. We did notice a burnt plastic odor when driving after towing it the first time (150 miles), but it didn't happen the second.

I have been confused by the check brake message which I think comes up on the dash once you get back in the bronco after towing it a while. I think it is telling me something about checking the auxiliary brake system, which I think is a little little stupid.

Since there is no regular parking break handle or pedal, it makes me nervous. I have always pushed our towed vehicles to lock the tow bar, test the neutral and parking brake, so I feel OK about it. I would prefer that the bronco wouldn't say anything about a brake unless there is a problem.

I prefer the old days when you put the transfer case in neutral manually and could visually confirm the brake is off. Leave the key on, pull some fuses and relays and it was good to go. This automatic stuff requires a leap of faith I have trouble taking with a $50k truck!!!

We have a 2.3.
I’ve read on IRV2.com that the burnt plastic smell is common with many towed vehicles.

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I had that smell on my last toad. Not as strong as this time. Like I said it didn't happen on the second trip with the Bronco. Hopefully it goes away for good.
Sponsored